Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just released... New Siskiyou Route version

There is an important message at the end of this post...

Hello Folks... I responded to crstagg's posts on this thread stating that his "checking" software was the problem and not items on the Siskiyou Route. He posted (#11) a long list of what his program listed as missing wagon files. I went through his list one at a time and ALL of the so-called missing wagon files ARE indeed NOT missing.

Then, not satisfied, he again posted (#18) an attached list of "missing items" from the "SISK_WCYD_TP_01_Hints" activity. His list begins with a list of missing loose consists. If you are not aware, in an activity, the "loose consists" are inside the activity's file that that ends with the .act file extension. In this instance that file is... "SISK_WCYD_TP_01_Hints.act" Okay... let's keep an open mind and see if he is right...

First item in his list... (note that the wagon name is first followed by a space and then the folder for that wagon)
    UP_BoxCar_50ft_110430_LD Boxcars_UP_50ft_Sisk

Here's a direct copy and paste from the activity file. I have changed the item that he says it is missing to Bold. As you can see, this wagon and folder is not missing.

ActivityObject (
    ObjectType ( WagonsList )
    Train_Config (
    TrainCfg ( ""
    Name ( "Loose consist." )
    Serial ( 39 )
    MaxVelocity ( 0.00000 0.00100 )
    NextWagonUID ( 3 )
    Durability ( 1.00000 )
    Wagon (
    WagonData ( UP453683_LD Boxcars_6pack22 )
    UiD ( 0 )
    )
    Wagon (
    WagonData ( UP_BoxCar_50ft_110430_LD Boxcars_UP_50ft_Sisk )

Note that I checked and this wagon is inside the listed folder. NOTHING is missing.

I did this with every item in his list. NOTHING was missing.

Now, maybe crstagg is going to claim that this wagon isn't in the original installation of the route...

It states in several places on Siskurail.org that you should download all of the consists and wagons, but not all of the engines. If he had downloaded Wagon_Pack_02 as recommended, then he'd not be missing a thing.

I chose NOT to include every engine and every wagon and every consist inside the actual installed route. The reason is simple. This would mean that every time I change something in a consist or wagon or any item inside the route, to get everyone to update these sort of changes would mean that I would have to upload the entire route... Right now that would be 12.5 GB of files just to update some file that might only be a 2 or 3 kilobytes. If I were to upload 12.5 GB onto Siskurail.org it would take about 34 hours. Right now it takes about 4 hours to upload the installer. Since this Route is a "Work in progress" I need to be able to make updates on a regular basis, and so I need to be able to make these updates in as short of time as possible.

As long as we are on the subject... Let me try and explain something to you that you may not know. When you are creating an activity and you want to place some wagons on some siding, you can not just place a wagon on that siding, and then another, and another. If you could, none would be attached to one another. Instead you MUST place consists on the siding. When you place a consist (say one named "SY_BCW_MT_2_4.con") on a siding, the editor assigns that set of wagons a name, such as "STATIC-32789" and it records the name and location of the wagon files that were in that consist. This name is what you'll see in your work orders. The consist name is never part of that activity. If you don't believe me, try moving a consist that was used to place a "static consist" on a siding to some place on your desktop. The static consist will still be in the activity and it will still run just fine.

THIS IS IMPORTANT... I WILL NOT BE POSTING ANY NEW RELEASES ON THIS FORUM.

THIS IS MY LAST VISIT TO THIS FORUM. I BEGAN THIS ROUTE BY HAVING PEOPLE REGISTER WITH AN EMAIL SO THAT I COULD SEND THEM NOTIFICATIONS OF NEW RELEASES... BUT AS USUAL I GOT A LOT OF FLACK FROM PEOPLE NOT WANTING TO LEAVE THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS. DOING AWAY WITH THIS METHOD MEANT I HAD TO POST NEW RELEASES HERE AND ON OTHER FORUMS. FROM NOW ON IF YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT NEW RELEASES YOU WILL HAVE TO VISIT THE "NEWS" PAGE ON SISKURAIL.ORG. I WILL NOT CONTINUE TO EXPOSE MYSELF TO THIS SORT OF ABUSE. EVERYTIME I VISIT A FORUM, SOMETHING UPSETS AND DEPRESSES ME. THIS IS MY LAST VISIT TO THIS SITE.
    "FREE is a very good price!"

Good luck. I'm sure the conversation will continue with or without Dale.

Nobody "abused" anyone aside from a couple inappropriate comments that were directed at Goku, and those comments were already deleted.

My routes don't come with activities for this exact reason. What one person thinks is clear and simple instructions doesn't always work out that way.

I'd also question the expectation that everyone will have a MSTS installation with default equipment. With ORTS, there's a growing subset of people who will never have that "2 CD" install...
    Last edited by eolesen; 02-12-2021 at 11:48 PM.

Really enjoy this route, well put togheter and packaged. Easy to get up and running. Thank you!