Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just released... New Siskiyou Route version

To correct things: the errors reported by TSRE-CE are missing items (ENGs and WAGs) in Loose Consists not missing consists.

As to criticizing Goku and his CE for reporting false errors then one must also criticize ConBuilder and Convoi. See below:
    ConBuilder error report from testing the SISK_WCYD_TP_01_Hints.act file:
    -------------------------------------------------
    [WAGON FILE MISSING or DOES NOT EXIST]
    The wagon file UP_BoxCar_50ft_110430_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\Boxcars_UP_50ft_Sisk
    (ACTIVITY SISK_WCYD_TP_01_Hints.act)
    --------------------------------------------------
    The wagon file RBOX33499_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\Boxcars_RBOX_6pack53
    The wagon file UP_BoxCar_50ft_110390_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    The wagon file RBOX34526_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\Boxcars_RBOX_6pack53
    The wagon file SP248565_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\Boxcars_SP_6pack27
    The wagon file ABOX51207_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\Boxcars_ABOX_6pack61
    The wagon file TBOX_Boxcar_662527_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\Boxcar_TBOX_662527
    The wagon file Siskurail_Tanker_201144LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\TankCar_Siskurail
    The wagon file GATX200749_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\TankCars_GATX
    The wagon file Trin5161CAGX.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\US_Covered_Hoppers
    The wagon file UP_BoxCar_50ft_110382_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    The wagon file UP_BoxCar_50ft_110426_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    The wagon file UP_BoxCar_50ft_110408_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    The wagon file UP_BoxCar_50ft_110397_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    The wagon file Siskurail_Tanker_201144LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    The wagon file Siskurail_Tanker_201527LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    The wagon file FBOX_502054_LD.WAG does not exist in the folder
    A:\sisk-test\TRAINS\TRAINSET\Boxcar_50ft_Hi-Cube_FBOX
    The wagon file UP_BoxCar_50ft_110390_MT.WAG does not exist in the folder
    Screen Capture from ConBuilder's Loose Consist Editor:
    CB-LC.JPG

Screen Capture of Convoi testing the activity:
    Sys-Hints.JPG

Both ConBuilder and Convoi report the same items missing that are listed in the Loose Consists in this activity that TSRE-CE reports as missing.

Understand that this is from installing the latest Siskiyou Route version into a folder location as prescribed in section 4.4 of the ORTS Manual and adding nothing more than the stated items that are required for the route, that is ScaleRail and ScaleRoads.

Further testing I have found that: If I install ALL the Engines and Wagons from the 7 Engine Packs and 9 Wagon Packs available for download from http://www.siskurail.org/downloads.php then neither TSRE-CE, ConBuilder or Convoi report missing items in the Loose Consists. The problem is that Dale has neither included them in the installer for the route nor indicated that the other downloads are required.
    Last edited by eolesen; 02-12-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    Charles

Charles,
    I have no knowledge of Open Rails Monogame but can only state that all testing of the Siskiyou route was done on on Open Rails version 1.3.1.4328 and not on the Monogame version. As for the Open Rails log that Barrie posted, I have the same error in my log as he does. I brought this to Dale's attention and he explained the cause but my memory is not so good so if you would like an explanation I defer you to Dale's e-mail for an answer. I've watched the diligence he has put into his AI Shunting activities and his manual. He has worked almost constantly to get this new version out despite the constant problems which kept popping up, his only thought was to put out a product that people will appreciate. Dale and I communicate every night about what we think the route needs to be realistic and he is very acceptable to ideas. I asked him one night about a bridge crossing I-5 that there was only about 100 ft of highway on each side of the crossing. I asked if the ends of the highway would be extended or if he had plans to cover the ends with trees. He called me the next night to inform me the highway had been extended 10 miles on each side of the crossing with car spawners now installed.

BTW, I agree with Dale. Are you aware that almost all wagons came from Train-Sim.com, and just about all have a README about not altering any of the file without permission from the creator. For example, BOXCAR__50ft_FMC_CombDoor folder as created has "2" underscores between the word BOXCAR and 50FT. Most railfans know this and correct the file to have just 1 underscore. Since Dale does not alter anyone's creations, the activity looks for the original file. If someone wishes to correct the file, you should not criticize Dale, but go to the person who created the file and tell them of their mistake. So any files which have been "corrected" by anyone are going to reflect errors on the Open Rails Log. I know, I corrected files myself only to screw up consists. Also, why would you download a route which give you to many problems? Downloading the route is your preference and if you are unhappy with it, discard it. You seem to be critical every Time a new update is put out. Just my 2 cents worth.

Barrie
    Don't regret posting your log as this is the only way Dale and I can observe what other railfans are experiencing. We just ask that you send a PM or e-mail to either of us. As I stated earlier, Dale doesn't visit forums that much and I agree with him there are quite a few people who are here to be critical of others work and not do anything to help or advance routes projects.
    Last edited by asteph627; 02-11-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asteph627 View Post
    Charles,
    I have no knowledge of Open Rails Monogame but can only state that all testing of the Siskiyou route was done on on Open Rails version 1.3.1.4328 and not on the Monogame version. As for the Open Rails log that Barrie posted, I have the same error in my log as he does. I brought this to Dale's attention and he explained the cause but my memory is not so good so if you would like an explanation I defer you to Dale's e-mail for an answer. I've watched the diligence he has put into his AI Shunting activities and his manual. He has worked almost constantly to get this new version out despite the constant problems which kept popping up, his only thought was to put out a product that people will appreciate. Dale and I communicate every night about what we think the route needs to be realistic and he is very acceptable to ideas. I asked him one night about a bridge crossing I-5 that there was only about 100 ft on each side of the crossing. I asked if the ends of the highway would be extended or if he had plans to cover the ends with trees. He called me the next night to inform me the highway had been extended 10 miles on each side of the crossing with car spawners now installed.

BTW, I agree with Dale. Are you aware that almost all wagons came from Train-Sim.com, and just about all have a README about not altering any of the file without permission from the creator. For example, BOXCAR__50ft_FMC_CombDoor folder as created has "2" underscores between the word BOXCAR and 50FT. Most railfans know this and correct the file to have just 1 underscore. Since Dale does not alter anyone's creations, the activity looks for the original file. If someone wishes to correct the file, you should not criticize Dale, but go to the person who created the file and tell them of their mistake. So any files which have been "corrected" by anyone are going to reflect errors on the Open Rails Log. I know, I corrected files myself only to screw up consists. Also, why would you download a route which give you to many problems? Downloading the route is your preference and if you are unhappy with it, discard it. You seem to be critical every Time a new update is put out. Just my 2 cents worth.

Barrie
    Don't regret posting your log as this is the only way Dale and I can observe what other railfans are experiencing. We just ask that you send a PM or e-mail to either of us. As I stated earlier, Dale doesn't visit forums that much and I agree with him there are quite a few people who are here to be critical of others work and not do anything to help or advance routes projects.
    Barrie's log is from a different activity. From Barrie's log: Argument = F:\THE SISKIYOU ROUTE\ROUTES\Siskiyou\ACTIVITIES\SISK_ASHO_EX_01.a ct. The activity with the missing consists is the Siskiyou\ACTIVITIES\SISK_WCYD_TP_01_Hints.act file so this has nothing to do with MG version vs OR versions 1.3.1.####.

I get the same results that Barrie gets when I run the SISK_ASHO_EX_01.act in an Install that was created by the MSTS CDs. I do get different results when running the SISK_ASHO_EX_01.act in an install that was not created the MSTS CDs. But I will not discuss that any further as I would be accused of criticizing again.

I am not unhappy with the route. I am just pointing out that either files were not included in the installer or there are other files that are required to be installed beyond ScaleRail and ScaleRoads.

Question: You mention testing. Was testing done on a Train Sim install that was not created by the MSTS CDs? That is an install without the MSTS Global folder files and the MSTS Sound folder files.
    Was it done on an Install that only included the installation of the Setup_20210207.exe file and the installation of ScaleRail and ScaleRoads and not on an install which had already had its Trainset folder populated with the 7 ENG Packs and the 9 Wag Packs from Dale's web site?

What I am finding is that for this route to run error free, one MUST install it in a Train Sim install that was created by the MSTS CDs and with the Trains folder populated with all the CON, ENG and WAG packs from http://www.siskurail.org/downloads.php.

Run the Setup_20210207.exe file and point it at a Train Sim install created for ORTS with just the empty Global, Sound, Routes and Trains folders. Then install ScaleRail and ScaleRoads. Now before you add any other add-ons, run the route with OTRS ro ORTS MG
    in explore or an activity mode. Then look at the OR Log.txt.
    Charles

Hi Charles,
    With respect, the download page for the new Siskiyou route contains the following :
    After you download and install the Route you will likely want to download ALL of the wagons and consists. You'll find them on the Downloads page.
    OK, this is not an instruction but more of a big hint!

Cheers,
    Ged

The_Scream.jpg Another [email protected]#%#$^$%%[email protected]#%$#$%mn awful TEMPEST-IN-A-TEAPOT.jpg

Dale, keep up the good work you are doing and enjoy yourself, also take heart that the majority of us hunger for good routes, because the majority of us DO NOT have the skills, patience, dedication, and time for research, that it takes to create a route. Also, no matter how hard you and others check the route for errors, some will escape detection ( just check out the payware stuff )...learning how to correct ( or live with imperfections and errors ) is part of this enjoyable hobby. I hope someday you will complete the route to your satisfaction and also to the enjoyment of the community.

**A personal note ( to Dale and others who create our routes and models ) I was trained as an artist ( photography, dye transfer ) got my MA in it, practiced my art, taught photography, and learned how to critique students work. Beneficial, understanding criticism is a learned skill, not all can practice it with insightful sensitivity to both the work & the artist. However, I also learned that when you create for yourself ( which is the most enjoyable method ) you also must know that not everyone will respond in a manner that aligns with your hope and vision of the work...the artist must always be confident of their skills & vision and always be open to thoughtful, considered criticism.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Charles

To answer your question, everything is tested on a Train Simulator installed from CD's. Anytime there are tests to run anything, any consist, wagon pack, etc is deleted and replaced with the new item. That is Dale's request that anything being replaced must be deleted before installing the new item so as not to have anything corrupt the new item.

The route does run free as the install comes from the 2 CD's and does include all CON, Eng and Wag Packs also Global & Sound folders.

I personally never run an activity in explore mode, but upon running the activity you requested, I am attaching the Open Rails Error Log file for you. The testing was done today at 7:52 PM CST per your request.

AJ
    Attached Files Attached Files

Posts have been edited and deleted.

These forums are for discussion, and if something isn't working as expected on a public download, you should want people to bring those issues up.

Charles and Barrie took the time to post about what was flagged as an error, so I'd suggest taking the feedback as it was intended. Reporting a possible consist error isn't the same as saying your work is crappy.

I read it as an opportunity to improve the written instructions or to add the consists and rolling stock to your installer.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Charles

To answer your question, everything is tested on a Train Simulator installed from CD's. Anytime there are tests to run anything, any consist, wagon pack, etc is deleted and replaced with the new item. That is Dale's request that anything being replaced must be deleted before installing the new item so as not to have anything corrupt the new item.

The route does run free as the install comes from the 2 CD's and does include all CON, Eng and Wag Packs also Global & Sound folders.

I personally never run an activity in explore mode, but upon running the activity you requested, I am attaching the Open Rails Error Log file for you. The testing was done today at 7:52 PM CST per your request.

AJ

What I suspected. And assuming that Dale created the Installer from an Install that included all CON, Eng and Wag Packs, it is difficult to understand why the Installed route is missing 16 items from loose consists in both of two activities (Hints and NoHints) and four items in Traffic from two activities if a tool was used to create the Installer. I have attached a list of the missing items. Note that a typo was made in creating one of the Traffic consists and an ENG Data line has the wrong folder name.
    Charles

Charles
    I don't know why you are showing missing consists for activity SISK_WCYD_TP_01_NoHints & SISK_WCYD_TP_01_Hints, Both these activities start of with just 2 SW1200's with no cars. There are numerous loose consists and have been run through your Conbuilder and MSTS_ActMan with -0- Errors. What is the date on these activities? The activitiy SISK_WCYD_TP_01_Hints should have the date of 10/03/2020 and SISK_WCYD_TP_01_NoHints should have a date 08/21/2020.

SISK_TP_5E0M22L_01.con shows a date of 02/03/2021. SISK_ASHI_TP_01.act should also have a date of 02/03/2021. I just ran through both Conbuilder and MSTS_ActMan and both show -0- errors.

SISK_TP_4E0M22L_01.con shows a date of 02/01/2021. SISK_FOGP_GF_01.act should have the date of 09/30/2020. I just ran through both Conbuilder and MSTS_ActMan and both show -0- errors.

I am sending you these current files to load into your route. If these dates do not match what is now in your Activities & Consist folders please delete them from your Activities & Consist folders and install these correct versions in their place.
    Last edited by asteph627; 02-12-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Charles
    I don't know why you are showing missing consists for activity SISK_WCYD_TP_01_NoHints & SISK_WCYD_TP_01_Hints, Both these activities start of with just 2 SW1200's with no cars. There are numerous loose consists and have been run through your Conbuilder and MSTS_ActMan with -0- Errors. What is the date on these activities? The activitiy SISK_WCYD_TP_01_Hints should have the date of 10/03/2020 and SISK_WCYD_TP_01_NoHints should have a date 08/21/2020.

SISK_TP_5E0M22L_01.con shows a date of 02/03/2021. SISK_ASHI_TP_01.act should also have a date of 02/03/2021. I just ran through both Conbuilder and MSTS_ActMan and both show -0- errors.

SISK_TP_4E0M22L_01.con shows a date of 02/01/2021. SISK_FOGP_GF_01.act should have the date of 09/30/2020. I just ran through both Conbuilder and MSTS_ActMan and both show -0- errors.

I am sending you these current files to load into your route. If these dates do not match what is now in your Activities & Consist folders please delete them from your Activities & Consist folders and install these correct versions in their place.
    You are forgetting that your Trainset has all the ENG and WAG packs. My Trainset has just the items installed by the Setup_20210207.rar file.

Hints act js 10/3/2020 also
    No Hints is 6/21/2020 also

SISK_TP_5E0M22L_01.con 2/3/3021
    ALL OF MY ACT AND CON FILES match the ones you list.

Those files are Missing because the Setup_20210207 installer did not install these Folders into my Trainset:
    Boxcars_UP_50ft_Sisk
    Boxcars_RBOX_6pack53
    Boxcars_SP_6pack27
    Boxcars_ABOX_6pack61
    Boxcar_TBOX_662527
    TankCar_Siskurail
    TankCars_GATX
    US_Covered_Hoppers
    Boxcars_Railbox_1
    Boxcar_50ft_Hi-Cube_FBOX
    Flatcar_Bulkhead_Stakes_SOU

The Requirements need to run the Route does NOT require all the ENG and WAG packs.
    Last edited by crstagg; 02-12-2021 at 08:48 PM.
    Charles