Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: NYC "Water level" route started!

I love it! Love the colors of the terrex.
    Christopher

If you search New York Central timetables as well as public as employee for your period, you can find them here all (because they are very complete) digital in good quality: http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/timetables.htm. On that site you also can find some pictures from that region in your era.

Good luck with the project, because the NYC railroad is also 1 of my favorites, although I don't live in the US. I collected some books about this railroad, and I have about 50 original NYC Public timetables from the period 1920 until 1968. I am also silently still tweaking the Conrail Indy route to a NYC route in the early fifties when there were still passenger trains running on that route, and most stations and depots were still there including many sidetracks.

Vincent

Very useful, thank you!
    Greetings from Sweden!

A little more progress to the south. According to my historical track maps Manitou had a siding on each side of the main line back in the day, and slightly longer platforms than today.

RunActivityLAA 2021-03-12 19-47-39-14.jpg

RunActivityLAA 2021-03-12 19-47-48-94.jpg
    Greetings from Sweden!

Back in the 1960s My Father and my Uncles favorite fishing spot was in between Scarborough and Philpse Manor. I saw some freights the commuter electrics and the dinky little S-motor electric locomotives. My favorites were the T-Motors they were low and long. I remember having to climb over this "wooden thing" parallel to the track (3rd rail) to get to the river. My Father didn't know. I could care less about fish. I was there to see the New York Central !!!

Was this Chicago to Columbus,OH ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish4890 View Post
    Was this Chicago to Columbus,OH ?
    According to Wikipedia, it was originally NYC to Niagara Falls. Later, it referred to the entire NYC-Chicago line. This route looks like it's the first part of it north of NYC. "Water Level" because it followed the Hudson River and Erie Canal quite closely, so it had minimal grades compared to the Pennsylvania RR (its major competitor on the NY-Chicago run) which had to cross the mountains between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

At the south end ... would you be planning to build on to, perhaps, a backdated version of the Metro-North route? The closely-timed locomotive change at the end of the 3rd-rail electric territory in and out of Grand Central (between electric and steam/diesel) would be a small activity all by itself.

Hello,

As a first phase of the project, I'm focusing on the section between Harmon and Poughkeepsie. Almost all trains changed from electric to steam/diesel traction at Harmon, so it's a natural starting point for me. I have, however, built the tracks all the way to just north of GCT, but so far without sidings etc. But I would say, that I'm more likely to extend the route north towards Albany, than south to NYC.

Anyways, I've spent the evening doing trackwork around the major yard complex at Harmon. There is still lots of tracks left to do, but I've built the passenger station, the balloon loop that leads around to the roundhouse from the north, the roundhouse and the southern connection to the main line. I'm trying to keep as close as possible to the 1940s track diagrams I have, but it's not always possible to get everything 100% correct.

Does anyone know if there are some third rail objects? I've searched the file library but couldn't find any. There are track sections that have them as part of the track shape, but I don't want to use those due to the complex trackwork and limited number of track sections available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Greetings from Sweden!

Hi,

This route is a much anticipated route. Finally a decent route to run the old Train Artisan NYC steamers.

There are no separate 3rd rail objects that I know of for MSTS/ORTS.

Some did exist for the early Auran Trainz simulator. But they wouldn't be compatible with MSTS. It's something you'd likely have to build from scratch.

Robert