Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC "Water level" route started!

A little bit of progress, even though I've been pretty busy this week. Stupid car suddenly wouldn't start and it took me some time to figure out why. Turned out the fuel pump only lasted 30 years and 285.00 miles! So, between that and work, I haven't had much time for route building.

Anyway, here are a few more screenshots, working my way south along the Hudson. Scenery is now pretty much complete between Breakneck Ridge Tunnel and just outside Cold Spring. I've laid most of the roads in the town center, but of course the scenery will take a bit longer here, urban environments isn't my favourite part of scenery building. With OpenRail's draw distance, I should propably also add some basic vegetation to the opposite bank of the river as well.

I also spent some time setting up the car spawners. I've not used any cars or trucks newer than 1960, so it should be a pretty much era-correct.

RunActivityLAA 2021-02-20 13-01-32-53.jpg
    RunActivityLAA 2021-02-20 13-02-04-80.jpg
    RunActivityLAA 2021-02-20 13-02-38-20.jpg
    Greetings from Sweden!

Two different J3 Hudsons heading south through the wetlands south of Cold Spring. I know the distant vegetation looks a a bit odd, that's because OpenRails has a higher draw distance than the editor, so it's a bit hard to know how far away I should add trees. I'll see if it's possible to increase the draw distance in the editor.

RunActivityLAA 2021-02-21 22-09-19-52.jpg
    RunActivityLAA 2021-02-21 22-34-44-17.jpg
    Greetings from Sweden!

Bill, does that mean you're still running the 245 we saw in a video a few years back?

Rob.
    onen hag oll!

This is looking nice. Love those mountains. And that 4 track!
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Keystoneaholic View Post
    Bill, does that mean you're still running the 245 we saw in a video a few years back?

Rob.
    Only in the summers these days, I don't want to expose it to all the salt on the roads. I've made a slight upgrade to a 92' 945 Turbo wagon instead. Pretty nice, but more stuff to go wrong (nothing like a modern car though, of course!).

Thanks for the kind comments!
    Greetings from Sweden!

Quote Originally Posted by blillpers View Post
    Only in the summers these days, I don't want to expose it to all the salt on the roads. I've made a slight upgrade to a 92' 945 Turbo wagon instead. Pretty nice, but more stuff to go wrong (nothing like a modern car though, of course!).
    Salt's a real killer for cars. Keep up the great work on the route!

I'm a bit devestated right now. I hit something I wasn't supposed to, and TSRE overwrote every single tile that had tracks on it. The scenery objects are still there, but the terrain has been reset to completely flat. Just the tiles with tracks on them, though, for some reason. Unfourtantly the overwrite happened instantly when I pressed some of the buttons in the "geo" tab, and couldn't be undone.

So, I'll just have to re-generate the tiles from the heightmaps. It shouldn't be too much additional work, outside the areas where I have done the scenery.
    Greetings from Sweden!

There will always be bumps in the road. Always keep a backup on your hard drive or even a thumb drive.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY VET

Yup, I'll start making backups more often from now on.

I'll have to redo the water, terrain textures and fine tuning the terrain close to the tracks, but overall isn't the disaster I first thought.
    Greetings from Sweden!

Mostly back on track with the terrain now. And scenery almost finished south to Garrison.
    Greetings from Sweden!