Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of my comfort zone - laying tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    OK.... what I've learned so far. Strip interactives and convert interactives appears to work **IF** you:

1) add both "AutoFix = True" and "LoadAllWFiles = true" to your TSRE settings file
    2) open the route in TSRE
    3) save the route from the menu (exiting won't prompt you to save for AutoFix apparently)

That will remove anything from the TDB that no longer has a matching record in the W file, which should cover signals, speedposts, platforms, sidings, level crossings, and hazards.

It won't remove track vectors or crossover nodes added manually to the TDB.

My preference is the convert interactives to statics, if for no other reason it leaves a visual placemarker of where you need to re-instate a signal, milepost, etc...
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for checking - I think I’ll give it a try - there are a lot of interactives and it would take forever to delete manually.

I’m strictly ORTS so if I understand correctly - if I follow the procedure you outlined - I don’t need MSTS to rebuild the database.

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Eric,

Worked like a champ - deleted all the interactives as far as I can tell - in a matter of seconds vs many many hours of doing it manually. Just followed what you posted in forum without any further instruction - simple. It seems you can't change directory other than the default MSTS install? I see it does Berms and Scale Rail replacements as well. I'll have to look more into it. Handy little tool - sir - thanks...

Regards,
    Scott

I use dynamic track only as much as is absolutely not avoidable. And the comment about the local tsection.dat file is correct, but
    I never have merged two routes. What I have done, is used a route or part of a route to start another. As for example I am currently doing the track on the L&N Main Stem. I created the Louisville Terminal (fairly simple) and the Nashville Terminal, (very
    complex). Then I copied these world files into the new route and the tsection.dat file of the Nashville Terminal route. Going to
    the Louisville Terminal I decompressed those world files and manually deleted the dynamic track. Keeping the original terminal
    route as reference I went through and re-inserted the dynamic track using the parameters from the original terminal route. As there
    were less than a dozen pieces, this was relatively easy. In doing the rest of the route, I have only used a few dynamic pieces.

J. H. Sullivan
    landnrailroader
    retired from CSX & SR
    Docent - C&TS RR

Hi JH,

Thanks - yeah - I think I'm going to re-lay the track and I may attempt it with Scale Rail. I've got all the stuff loaded now and I've laid more track this evening than I have in my entire time in Train Sims. The learning curve is steep.

Would anyone know if there is a primer on Scale Rail anywhere explaining the nomenclature? I get much but not all of it.

I'm trying to line up a ladder with the 3T (Triple Track) pieces using the #6 switches - what straights and curves are needed to align the switch ladder? Trial and error isn't working well so perhaps a couple of examples might help?

Does scale rail have the usual suspects of track on track crossings - like 45/90 degree and whatnot?

Image1.jpg

Regards,
    Scott

Standard 06d (not ext or long) switches separated by y_000_2m on the diagonal, and 025m on the straight will line up with 3TStr_y sections

Standard 06d (not ext or long) switches separated by 005_5m on the diagonal and y_019.8m on the straight will line up with 3TStr_w sections.

Last edited by eolesen; 02-25-2021 at 10:48 PM.

re:WFH and MSTS directory.... if you have the registry entry it will default to that without prompting for the directory... If the MSTS registry entry is missing, WFH will prompt for a location.

I've got an update in work that will let you change the directory at will, as well as allowing for placement files to be selected at will.

That is now posted to the DigitalRails store, and past/existing customers get that update for free.
    Last edited by eolesen; 02-26-2021 at 02:04 AM.

Hi Eric,

Perfect - thanks so much - the examples are precisely what I needed.

I had read a note in Marc's README that said that Scale Rail can't support curved yards - with yard spaced tracks - that's why I was attempting to use the 3T pieces to build the yard in my screenshot - as there is a dogleg turn in the middle of it.

I tried you new WFH - changes directory just fine - thanks.

I ran it twice to remove "Gantry" items - I'm assuming this would include any telephone poles or vegetation placed with the "Gantry" feature - that doesn't seem to work - FYI.

Regards,
    Scott

I don't use scale rail. What I do use a lot is M-tracks because the turnouts are accurate for
    US routes. And you run into some oddities. For example, I have completed the main stem
    mainline and have just finished adding what is left of the Bardstown Branch (operated by
    R.J.Corman) and have done a few miles on the Lebanon Branch. The Lebanon branch used
    to be a main line with CTC and such, so the turnouts were all #15. At one location, the
    #15, now manual, leads into a spur parallel to the main that in the GE aerial had several
    coal cars stored on it. Then there is a gap of a couple hundred meters and a #10 turnout.
    The siding continues several hundred meters to another #10 turnout. All turnouts are
    now manual. What this is, was once a single passing track which has been split and for
    some reason the #15 (LH) turnout was re-used, while the other #15 (RH) was changed
    to a #10 and a #10 (LH) was added. M-tracks also provides more correct spacing for
    main tracks of about 13.5 feet. I also prefer the Pnt10d150r turnouts from X-tracks
    (I believe they are called) even though they are slightly more fussy to add. They just
    look better than the original #10 turnouts. Since there is no physical motion to feel
    running an activity, I believe that visual cues and appearance are important.

J. H. Sullivan
    landnrailroad
    ret. from CSX & SR
    Docent - C&TS RR

Jerry, the spacing on M-Tracks and Scalerail Yard tracks is essentially the same -- SR yard spacing is 4m track centers, which comes out to 13.12 feet. I've used that exclusively on my mainlines, which can be a problem with curves because there are no curved multi-track pieces. I agree that the turnouts matter, but I wanted the switchstand targets to be part of the turnout over ten years ago, and that's how I landed on SR.

Scott, it's not impossible to use the yard spaced curves (SR_xtCRV and 1tYRD) to make a curved yard, but you'll have to be a bit patient and realize the geometry isn't rock solid. It's correct on the curvature, but incorrect on the lengths. You have to fudge a bit with the 0_2m, 0_3m, 0_6m and 0_9m sections to fill the gaps.

YRD tracks have the most width, xtCRV has the largest variety and length. A is the inner most track, working out to letter Z on the 250/500/1000/1500/2000r curves. The standard 1tCRV sections are equal to "C" in the letter incrementing.

I've done several dog-legs... It takes some work. You get used to the fudging after a while.

I'll have take another look at the gantry code... it's been years since anyone's mentioned trying to use it.

Hi Scott,

WRT the screengrab you posted, is that a view of the L&HR's Hudson Yard at Phillipsburg, NJ., looking northward up the Delaware?

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.