Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Out of my comfort zone - laying tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by drelyea View Post
    Hi Scott,

WRT the screengrab you posted, is that a view of the L&HR's Hudson Yard at Phillipsburg, NJ., looking northward up the Delaware?

Doug Relyea
    Hi Doug,

LOL - good eye.

Yeah - as you know I've been tinkering with Rich's beloved LHR for many years. While it was fantastic for the time it's starting to show it's age a bit. So this started with - yeah - let me just extend the route to Hudson Yard and I'll work on it when I can - in between modeling projects. Then it was like the signals Rich had available at the time weren't the greatest - the semaphore textures blanked out the particle smoke effects and the PRR lights flickered pretty badly. That had me looking at Vince's fine signal work he's been releasing in the lib lately - but in order to use them I need to delete all interactives - so that's a big project. Then - as long as I'm doing all this work - why not look at an improved track system? Rich had some track work with kinks I'd like to straighten and the line to Port Morris was like a roller coaster - so now I'm thinking about doing all the track with Scale Rail. With TSRE I certainly have a far greater tool to work with. I have accurate vector maps on the terrain that turns track and road laying into a big "connect the dots" puzzle. I have all new elevation data loaded in TSRE so I'm rebuilding tile by tile as I go. It's only 100 miles or so - it should be manageable - how bad can it be ?

LOL.
    Header_1154589_1.1-1023x1024.jpg

Regards,
    Scott

The PRR's Bel-Del division was pretty straightforward north of where the US 22 bridge crosses it. (south end of the American Horseshoe Company site in my version of Tristate) The can of worms starts south of that crossing (and it is a can of worms. I don't blame Rich one bit for not getting involved.) First you have to pass Freedom Square with a number of unique buildings no one has even gotten close to making, as well as the Free Bridge, the only cantilever bridge in Tristate. (once upon a time it carried a Trolley track also.) Then the track split for the L&HR's bridge to South Easton (a curved row on that, of course.)
    Where the Bel-Del ran under the CNJ, it passed over the bottom basin for the last west-side plane of the Morris Canal. The guard gate for said canal remains to this day, less the actual gate which was lowered like a castle portcullis. At the top of the plane, at that basin, the LV built a loading dock to transfer coal from railcars to Morris Canal boats. This was the result of a flood on the Lehigh River that destroyed the lock on the Pa side that connected to the bottom of the Lehigh Canal and the top of the Pa's Delaware Division of the State Canal system. Post 1930, the L&HR was using the PRR's turntable and roundhouse, so you need their upper and lower yards. Lower yard was parallel to the Bel-Del main, upper yard connected to the LV, CNJ and DL&W's west end of their Morris and Essex division.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Hi Folks,

OK - Track Masters - need a pointer here.

First issue - I was juggling some track around and the shape vanished - probably accidently flung to some far corner of the route - yet the track database entry remains and I inadvertently saved it. How do I remove this errant piece of track and db entry ? I turned off the terrain and water - searched high and low and I can't find the shape.

Image1.jpg

On the Gantry removal issue - noticed Route Riter had the function and even though it's only one item at a time - it doesn't appear to work.

I'm not a real programmer but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night - so I know a little ksh/csh scripting and successfully scripted the same. Although it took me an evening - so much faster and less tedious than doing it by hand. The code is for anyone interested - it does show you how to compress and uncompress world tiles by hand just using TSUTILS.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    declaration () {
            #ROUTE="Tristate_Rails 3-1-13"
            ROUTE="L&HR_1940_DEV"
            TEMP="${HOME}/tmp"
    	DOSTEMP="h:\cygwin64\home\N63503\tmp"
            LOG=${TEMP}/mooterlog.txt
            MSTSPATH="/cygdrive/e/MSTSmini/L&HR/Train Simulator"
            DOSMSTSPATH="E:\MSTSmini\L&HR\Train Simulator"
            WORKDIR="/home/N63503/HOLD"
            DOSWORKDIR="h:\cygwin64\home\N63503\HOLD"
    	TEXT2UNI="/cygdrive/e/MSTSmini/Train Simulator/UTILS/txt2uni.exe"

TILES="${MSTSPATH}/Routes/${ROUTE}/Tiles"
    	WORLD="${MSTSPATH}/Routes/${ROUTE}/World"

DOSTILES="${DOSMSTSPATH}\Routes\\${ROUTE}\Tiles"
    	DOSWORLD="${DOSMSTSPATH}\Routes\\${ROUTE}\World"
    }
    cleanup() {		
    	rm ${LLISTUSED} 2>/dev/null
    	rm ${LLISTTEXT} 2>/dev/null
    	rm ${LLISTDELT} 2>/dev/null
            cd "${WORKDIR}"
            echo "Cleaning working directory..." | tee -a ${LOG}
            rm "${WORKDIR}"/* 2>/dev/null
    	rm "${TEMP}"/* 2>/dev/null
    }
    uncomp () {
            echo "Start decompression T files - ${ROUTE}..." | tee -a ${LOG}
            java TSUtil fmgr -w -e -o "${DOSWORLD}" "${DOSWORKDIR}" | tee -a ${LOG}
            echo "DOS to UNIX conversions..." | tee -a ${LOG}
            dos2unix `ls ${WORKDIR}/*` 2>>${LOG}
    	echo " " | tee -a ${LOG}
    }
    removegant () {
    		for x in `ls ${WORKDIR}`
    		do
    			echo "Removing Gantry: ${x}" | tee -a ${LOG}
    			sed -e '/^\tGantry/,/^\t)/{d;}' ${x} >> ${TEMP}/${x}
    		done	
    }
    comp () {
            cd "${TEMP}"
    	echo "UNIX to DOS conversions..." | tee -a ${LOG}
    	unix2dos `ls ${TEMP}/*.w` 2>>${LOG}
    	echo "TEXT to UNI conversions..." | tee -a ${LOG}
    	for x in `ls`
    	do
    		echo "Processing ${TEXT2UNI} ${x}"
    		"${TEXT2UNI}" ${x} 2>>${LOG}
    	done
    	echo " " | tee -a ${LOG}
    	echo "Start compressing T files - ${ROUTE}..." | tee -a ${LOG}
            java TSUtil fmgr -w -e -o "${DOSTEMP}" "${DOSWORLD}"  | tee -a ${LOG}
    }

###START###
    declaration
    date > ${LOG}
    cleanup
    uncomp
    removegant
    comp
    date >> ${LOG}
    Regards,
    Scott

Interesting.

Looks like you used cygwin to run this Linux script under Windows.

cygwin

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jonpd View Post
    Interesting.

Looks like you used cygwin to run this Linux script under Windows.

cygwin

Jon
    Hi Jon,

I am a huge CYGWIN fan - been using it for years. This script was an edit of another I have to remove all unused TERRTEX textures on a route. I also use it for processing models in both Flight Sim and Train Sim. I'm a UNIX guy - Microsoft not so much. I'm amazed MS never had anything like sed, awk, grep, etc etc etc included in their OS. What CYGWIN excels at - is I can tap resources on both sides of the fence on the same PC - calling "MS" programs in one line and "UNIX" in the next.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott I used cygwin a lot back when I was working as a software developer, as we were developing on Windows for a Linux target system. Very useful as like you say it filled in a lot of gaps that Windows never supported like the scripting capabilities. Although I was always more of a Perl fan for scripting on both platforms. Basically you use what you are comfortable with.

Jon

Scott, if both WFH and RR couldn't work with the gantry items in your route, I'm wondering if they were already modified somehow...

I tested WFH on the BNSF Scenic and it ripped out dozens of miles of fencing with no errors.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Hi Jon,

Very cool - then you can tell I'm not a real programmer...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Scott, if both WFH and RR couldn't work with the gantry items in your route, I'm wondering if they were already modified somehow...

I tested WFH on the BNSF Scenic and it ripped out dozens of miles of fencing with no errors.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Hi Eric,

Maybe I'm making a mistake - with WFH I attempted to replicate what I did when removing "Interactives" - actually I had "Remove Gantry" selected when I successfully removed "Interactives". In RR - I was prompted to select which Gantry item - which I did - and then it would sit there processing indefinitely - whether I selected all world files or one world file.

I did notice that some Gantry items had seven lines in the world file and others had eight - not sure if that indicates anything - the extra line was something like vzDb (that's not it but something like it) - IIRC.

No biggie for me - thanks for looking into it...

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Folks,

Someone pointed me to Pete's great TSRE Manual for the fix to my orphaned Track Database entry I posted above.

As per the Manual:
    • Delete the track sections on either end of the missing shape then attach a small track section to one
    end of the missing section; you can use a 30d tram curve but any short section will do.
    • Save.
    • Select the short section you just attached. At the bottom of the left side panel select Hacks.
    • A TrackObj Hacks window opens.
    • Select Remove TDB Vector. The yellow database lines above the missing track and the just added
    short section will go away.
    • Select the short track section you previously added and Delete the track.
    • Save. Done!
    Thanks Pete/Goku/Vince/Doug !

Regards,
    Scott