Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New version of WorldFileHacker available

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Are you looking to do a tile or two at a time? I've been working on a nuclear option to remove track and/or roads...
    Hi Eric,

Actually - FAR more than that - Doug was gracious enough to share his absolutely massive TriState route with me - it has to be on par with the largest routes we've ever seen in MSTS/ORTS like the Monon or PRR Eastern. While Doug's worked on it for years - for me - it's way too large to be manageable. One plan I had envisioned was cutting out the LHR - which is a very small portion of his route - and working it so it's fully operational with signals, interactives, painted TERRTEX, and detailed scenery - stuff that seems unlikely of being completed due to the scale of his full route. We're talking deleting hundreds of tiles that would probably require a "nuclear" option. While I started laying my own track with Scale Rail - I'm still chewing on my options - I'd be glad to test something if you need it.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Thank you both. Yeah - someone had mentioned it should be possible with RouteRiter - they said sever all road and track connections crossing tile boundaries in the block of tiles you want to delete - remove the tiles - then use RR/TSUTILS CLRDB to clean up the track and road database. I haven't tried it yet - but it's nice to know there are options.
    Stop with this old nonsense. Just try the method mentioned in my previous post. Unless you want to remove more than dozens of tiles, it will be the fastest and easiest solution. + proper route editing instead of hacking.

"Proper route editing" has no clear cut definition in this community. TSRE is an incredible tool for what it does, but it doesn't currently handle every task a route developer might need to do.

I have hundreds of tools in my workshop, and some of them may only see use once every five to ten years. Just because I have an adjustable wrench for every-day projects doesn't mean I throw out my specialty spanners for doing plumbing work...

What Scott is looking at isn't practical to do one terrain patch at a time. He's talking hundreds of W files. Doing that thru a UI would be ridiculously painful and slow.

Hi Folks,

Goku - yep - I was merely passing along what someone suggested to me a while back when I broached the subject before. I haven't tried any methods yet. The scope of the deletes seem pretty large and I may just stick with doing the route from scratch with ScaleRail - which I've already started. I just wanted to know what options were available if I decided to choose a different path.

Thanks Eric - yep - it seems like a pretty large task - here's Doug's route and the path highlighted in "yellow" is the part I'm interested in. More of the route would be pruned than would remain.

TriState - LHR by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    We're talking deleting hundreds of tiles that would probably require a "nuclear" option.
    Yep, your situation sounds like what I was thinking of. The use case for Going Nuclear is a route like the Tri-State, Packerland, or my CNW Chicago.... Both Packerland and the CNW Chicago were originally planned to be several different subdivisions, and they started to overlap into the monstrosities that they've become ten years later.

Nuking would entail creating a copy of the route, and identifying which tiles to keep. The batch process would eradicate everything else, including related TDB vectors. There'd be no need to sever track or roads if I can get the last couple steps to work...

The test route I'm working with keeps 700 tiles out of 4500. You can't possibly use TSRE to remove 3800 tiles...
    Last edited by eolesen; 03-11-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GokuMK View Post
    Stop with this old nonsense. Just try the method mentioned in my previous post. Unless you want to remove more than dozens of tiles, it will be the fastest and easiest solution. + proper route editing instead of hacking.
    Hi Goku,

One thing I think would make your method more practical would be the ability to DELETE the tile in TSRE right after selecting and deleting all the objects as you mentioned. I don't think we can delete tiles in TSRE - can we ?

The other day - a couple of the tiles were stuck in a weird state in TSRE and I found I couldn't do anything to it like add textures - add maps - or add height maps - - - I had to go back into the MSTS RGE to delete the tiles - so I could add it again and fix the issue.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Scott

Yep, your situation sounds like what I was thinking of. The use case for Going Nuclear is a route like the Tri-State, Packerland, or my CNW Chicago.... Both Packerland and the CNW Chicago were originally planned to be several different subdivisions, and they started to overlap into the monstrosities that they've become ten years later.

Nuking would entail creating a copy of the route, and identifying which tiles to keep. The batch process would eradicate everything else, including related TDB vectors. There'd be no need to sever track or roads if I can get the last couple steps to work...

The test route I'm working with keeps 700 tiles out of 4500. You can't possibly use TSRE to remove 3800 tiles...
    Hi Eric,

Sounds good - as you stated - some tools aren't used often or by many - but they can prove invaluable when the need arises.

Regards,
    Scott

Would it be safe to say that you've made edits on every W file you intend to keep within the last year, and no edits on files you don't want within the last year?

The routine I'm working with currently creates a buffer of one tile around each tile that's been modified within X days, and then dumps the remaining objects. Another option would be to feed a list of W files to keep, and then create the buffer, but that might get ugly to have to prepare manually.

Would it be safe to say that you've made edits on every W file you intend to keep within the last year, and no edits on files you don't want within the last year?

The routine I'm working with currently creates a buffer of one tile around each tile that's been modified within X days, and then dumps the remaining objects. Another option would be to feed a list of W files to keep, and then create the buffer, but that might get ugly to have to prepare manually.
    Hi Eric,

Actually - I haven't edited the tiles because I always thought the route was far too large for me to do much with it. I can certainly test your tool by editing some files and see how it works out. Your approach seems reasonable - as it would negate the need to compile massive lists of tiles. Again - this is just an option for me that I'm not sure I'll use - so far - I kind of like how my recent track laying with ScaleRail is going. Thanks for the interest.

One additional thought - is there a way you could tap a path file or multiple path files - to identify desired tiles - then add a user defined buffer around that? Just thinking out loud - as that would probably be the fastest/easiest for the end user.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 03-12-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Path files would work. Might need to come up with some logic where points are more than 3 tiles apart...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk