Thread: coupler spec'c

Default coupler spec'c

the spec's nonspecific coupler, after the break spec's it has a line r0 ( 0cm 5 cm ) others have ( 20cm 30 cm ),what is the difference ?

The MSTS Tech Docs have information on this.
    Here is a clip on the question you asked:

r0 - The first value in here describes the rest length of the spring.
    The second indicates the length at which the second set of values kicks in.
    Coupling springs work in compression as well as extension

There is much more information. The Docs can be found on the MSTS Install Disks

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thank You Vince
    It was just funny that an engine from the same company aka MLT is SP40-2t would have different values.

Weren't those values supposed to determine coupler slack?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi Gery,
    I guess it's better to post the entire relevant parts from the Tech Doc as I realize there may be those who don't have access to the documents.
    BUT! . . . be sure to check into the OR Manual also. Sorry no reference page there.
    The Coupler data from the Tech Doc:

Spring – a sub-section of the coupling section that defines the physical parameters of the coupling. Springs in train have 2 different extension dependent sets of characteristics. This is so that for example the initial extension of the coupling can be mimicked with relatively low numbers using the first set of values until the extension reaches what in reality would be the maximum coupling extension and hence the much larger second set of values would kick in to mimic this.
    Stiffness – 2 values in Newton Meters giving the stiffness of the coupling over the first and second extension stages.
    Damping – 2 values in Newton Meters per Second giving the damping factor of the coupling over the first and second extension stages.
    Break – 2 values in Newtons giving the force at which the coupling will break in the first and second stage. Generally these values will both be the same and will lie somewhere in the second stage of extension.
    r0 - The first value in here describes the rest length of the spring.
    The second indicates the length at which the second set of values kicks in.
    Coupling springs work in compression as well as extension

regards.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"