Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Legends of the Great Western

Default Diesel Legends of the Great Western

Have you folks seen this? It adds a 52, 101 and 08 to the GWE route with new timetables for them.

It’s an interesting idea to give a BR Blue take on services out of Paddington... except the route remains set in 2016 (itself a past era) with all the modern infrastructure around.

Release a 2022 DLC (with IETs, 345s and 387s), that would fit better and probably get more interest from their target market, IMHO.

It has been pointed out on the DTG forums that these trains already exist in TSW, and that to use all the features of this DLC in full, you need the Class 31 and BR Heavy Freight (which in turn need Northern Transpennine and Tees Valley)... making this DLC for DLC for DLC.

Other than the timetables, this is nothing you can't emulate with a bit of "Off The Rails" scenario creation.

Personally my money is going on the 465 for SEHS, which is getting rave reviews everywhere - given it's an AP creation I suspect justifiably so.
    Vern.

Hahahahahahaha, desperation reigns at DTG.

They either release modern rubbish or regurgitate past releases.
    Yma O Hyd

If it had been a 117, Class 42 and maybe a 50 I might have closed my eyes to running on the modern day GWML but this is just a blatant cash grab.

To do it properly, should have recreated the Riviera Line from Exeter to Paignton and set it in the early 70's, then included all the hydraulics.
    Vern.

Cannot feel the love for TSW\TSW2, Vern.

No editors buddy and the UK routes are way too short for my tastes.

No regrets here telling Steam to remove them and the DLC from my account.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ....No regrets here telling Steam to remove them and the DLC from my account.
    You can always reinstall them when you change your mind, Mike.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    You can always reinstall them when you change your mind, Mike.
    No Bruce, they are completely removed, not just uninstalled buddy. When you choose the option, it tells you that they will no longer be available and that it is irreversable.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ..... they will no longer be available and that it is irreversable.
    Ah well, ce'st la vie and que sera, sera.
    Frees up plenty of HDD space, Mike.

You know, just out of a sense of masochism, I have been running TSW's "Sandpatch" route over the past day. A scenario in which you haul coal from the loader down to the yard at the end of the route.
    It made me realise - again - just how bad the physics can be in this sim. If only the realism matched the excellence of the graphics.
    If only.
    Last edited by seagoon; 03-07-2021 at 03:26 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Bad in what respect Bruce? You actually have to spend quite a bit of time setting up the locos on the Sandpatch route, I found I was crawling along after failing to get the slave and DPU locos working correctly. Actually tougher than Run 8 where a couple of button presses takes care of it.

For TSW2, Sandpatch was supposed to be getting a bit of an overhaul which included the loco physics. At least you don't get that crazy cycling of the ammeter which afflicted the traction in TSW(1).

Back to the GWE add on, appears this will be sold for £14.99 and there are howls of protest on just about every forum I've seen the matter discussed. Obviously some work has gone into producing the timetable but that doesn't excuse the fact they are reusing existing assets. In the case of the 101, they were never the primary DMU on local services - the suburban 117's were. When the 101's arrived at Reading in later years they were primarily used alongside the Class 119's on the Reading to Gatwick/Tonbridge route, occasionally on the Thames Valley branches (Marlow/Henley/Windsor).
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Bad in what respect Bruce? You actually have to spend quite a bit of time setting up the locos on the Sandpatch route, I found I was crawling along after failing to get the slave and DPU locos working correctly. Actually tougher than Run 8 where a couple of button presses takes care of it.

For TSW2, Sandpatch was supposed to be getting a bit of an overhaul which included the loco physics. At least you don't get that crazy cycling of the ammeter which afflicted the traction in TSW(1)......
    It's just odd, Vern.
    The acceleration seems weirdly inconsistent and doesn't appear to pay any attention to whether the grade is rising at 1.2% or falling at 0.5%.

I haven't got TSW2, just the previous version, so maybe it is different in the more recent release.