Thread: More Brake Force

Default More Brake Force

Greetings:

have a question regarding what changes I need to make to an ENG file to increase the brake force on an engine.

The unit is a British Rail diesel (25 class) that has air brakes, but they act very weak. Up to full service application and it takes a VERY long time for the brakes to grab and actually stop the train, even going PAST the platform by the time it actually stops.

I would like something a bit more responsive and faster acting, though while might not be as extreme as the default GP38-2, I would like something that has a better grab to reduce the speed.

What lines do I have to change in the ENG file to increase the force and get the blasted thing to stop sooner????

Not at all familiar with "Physics" of these files, but any help is appreciated to solve it.

Thanks in advance
    Doug

Happiness is when the AI-trains appear where you want them to

Hi Doug,

max force

MaxBrakeforce ( 137kN )

Double this number that is in your eng file and see what happens

Brake_Engine ( 0 1 0.2 0
    NumNotches ( 2
    Notch( 0 0 EngineBrakesControllerReleaseStart )
    Notch( 0.3 1 EngineBrakesControllerGraduatedSelfLapLimitedStart )

The first line here gives how quickly the brakes come on.

I use the above line, try it on yours.

Keep a backup before you start.
    Cheers
    Derek

Default More Brake Force

Hello Derek:

Thank you very much for the information..

...did as you said with the above lines, and I am very happy with the improved change.
    Much faster and stronger brake power, so engine stops as I want it finally. I will forego the "realistic physics" to get what I want, not when I apply the brakes 3/10 mile out and don't stop until AFTER the station is unacceptable.

Here's the values from the original file:

MaxBrakeForce( 140kN )
    '
    Brake_Engine ( 0 1 0.0125 0
    NumNotches ( 1
    Notch ( 0 1 Dummy )

Thanks again,
    Doug
    Doug

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

As I mentioned in a previous thread,generally in MSTS the engines and wagons are overbraked.To find the real world values,look up e.g the UK diesel classes in Wikipedia,it gives the real brake force,in this case 380kN,so you have to adjust things to get a realistic performance.In the UK,if you are travelling at train or line speed (whichever is the lower),applying an "initial" application,reducing the brake pipe from 5 to 4.6 bar at the first cautionary aspect will stop the train easily at the red.When testing,use a train rather than light engine.

Default More Brake Force

Ragtimer:

Well, I tinkered with it as Derek suggested, and I have the results I WANT, wether it's the same as real physics or not, I really don't care.

I doubled the Max Force value as suggested to 280 Kn, and I get the result I want. It is NOT a lite engine move.

The scenario has you starting from a yard siding with a diesel and 4 coaches, you cross through the interlocking and have to stop about 0.8 miles on the platform. The best you can get up to is about 30 mph before coming to the platform. Hitting the modified brake values starting with the first reduction at 0.3 miles out will get you stopped about where the platform marker goes to 0 in the station display (F10) as about 1/3 of the way along it, the track mopnitor shows a downgrade you're fighting also to get stopped. The brake values as written in the uploaded engine file were totally useless under these conditions
    Doug