Thread: Prr east v2 bad train application file

Default Prr east v2 bad train application file

Don't know why this is happening, but the train.exe file in the PRR East v2 mini-route will no longer run for me. When I try to run the route, I get the following message, "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher." I've tried reloading the route, but still get the same result. It used to run up until just recently, like a few weeks ago. If anybody can give me any advice on this, it is very much appreciated.

I get the feeling, there may have been a Microsoft Win 10 update that could have caused it, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Lightbulb PRR-East v2 Open Rails OK - - - MSTS Not very well at all!

" . . . .but the train.exe file in the PRR East v2 mini-route will no longer run for me. . . . .snip . . . ."
    Hi Steve,

The train.exe file in the PRR-East v2 is a dummy executable (.exe) there only to allow the Route_Riter Check Route test to run.
    It's actually a .txt file that I put a secret message into and then changed the .txt to .exe.

If you want to see the message rename the file from train.exe to train.txt so then you can access the message with NotePad.

Attempting to actually execute this file will of course throw the error you received. That file was never meant to be anything but a thing for RouteRiter. This is so stated in the ReadMe instructions.

As uploaded, the v2 version of the route is designed to run on Open Rails only with the warning in the Read Me instructions that you MAY try to run on MSTS but that I wasn't able to get any of the included activities to run at any but single frame rates. Ugh!!
    MSTS is totally unable to handle the heavy graphics and simulation load in this route!.

So to really enjoy running the included activities which I have made with ALL yard tracks filled to capacity with runnable static consists along with hundreds of AI traffic trains, (there are a couple of FOUR way meets in the Senator Vincent activity) something that is completely impossible using MSTS.
    So I'm sorry Steve but MSTS just does not have the moxie to run this route.

All is not lost though as you may be able to run the route using MSTS by making your own activities without all the yard consists and heavy AI traffic trains
    BUT watch out tooting around the Philadelphia area with it's over 5.000 static object count

best regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 03-07-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I haven't used MSTS in quite a while. It quit running in Open Rails, and I was troubleshooting when I came upon the train.exe file. So the part about MSTS makes sense. The last time this happened, there was a Microsoft C++ redistributable file that Microsoft arbitrarily deleted when they did a Win10 update, and I had to put it back in. Forgot what it was though.

Note that Open Rails does not use train.exe. Its executable is openrails.exe and is usually located in a different directory than where the route is located on your machine, as OR does not require the directory structure that MSTS required but allows you to put your routes anywhere and point to them via the options - content menu.

Jon

Folks,

So far I know everything you've been telling me, and that is the way I have it installed, so none of that is the problem. I followed instructions to the "T". It did run in Open Rails, and now Open Rails doesn't even see the route, even though it still acknowledges the directory on my computer that it is in on the first line, just doesn't pick up the route itself for some reason.

The only other time it pulled something like this was when Microsoft updated Windows 10 and deleted and C++ file as part of the update, which affected my whole Open Rails operation. When I reinstalled that file, everything came back. This time, however, it's only the PRR East that it won't run.

Hope this clarifies what the problem is and what it isn't. Thanks for the help so far.

I uninstalled the route and reinstalled it, and it still doesn't show up in Open Rails. Apparently it has something to do with Open Rails, because I did reinstall it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by sburr View Post
    ...now Open Rails doesn't even see the route, even though it still acknowledges the directory on my computer that it is in on the first line, just doesn't pick up the route itself for some reason.
    Go to Options\Content tab and delete the old PRR location information. Then use "add" to find it again.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thanks Gerry, that worked.