Thread: Maple Leaf Tracks GTA Route

Default Maple Leaf Tracks GTA Route

I am thinking of buying the Maple Leaf Tracks Greater Toronto Area route. It appears to be an older route. I was wondering if anyone has any experience running this under Open Rails, is it worthwhile getting or would I be disappointed? I know this is somewhat of a subjective question as everyone has different standards for what is necessary or desirable in a route, but just want to get a feeling for what running the route would be like on OR before I buy it.

Jon

It should run fine in OR but it's 12 years old so don't expect much eye candy.
    Probably pretty sparse by today's standards.

Randy

Hello, GTA runs fine on my machine in Open Rails. Make sure you get the update as well.
    However, be forewarned it is not up to today's route standards, but it is fun to drive. I have been using it over the past few years to hone my skills and experiment with Route Tools.

About MLT, was Ed Sketcher the primary Locomotive and Rolling stock 3D designer for their routes? IMO his work is really good.
    Rory

The route is fairly bare-bones in terms of scenery even for the standards at the time it was released. If I recall correctly, the route was originally intended to be used as a training tool, so the environment was secondary to the accuracy of the track layout and signaling.

Quote Originally Posted by SlackAction View Post
    ....the route was originally intended to be used as a training tool, so the environment was secondary to the accuracy of the track layout and signaling.
    Correct.
    I bought GTA (not to be confused with Grand Theft Auto )when originally released and actually enjoyed running it.
    I still have it on my old XP laptop and it runs fine under OR.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0