Thread: Two new routes in the works

Cool Two new routes in the works

Colleagues,

A friend in Tennessee asked me to check over, rehash as necessary, and then release his version
    of the CNO&TP 3rd district, Oakdale, TN to Chattanooga. I have in the works, my own CNO&TP
    2nd District, Danville, KY to Oakdale, TN. While this line exists today as a high density north-
    south bridge route under NS, the division points have changed, so I am doing it for him, and me,
    as it was in the 1970s when I was manager of track geometry inspection on the Southern, and I
    also will include a number of route segments that were abandoned between 1961 & 1963 as a
    part of eliminating most of the "rat holes", i.e. tunnels. The 2nd district was (and is) referred to
    as the rat hole.

I am posting on this forum to whet appetites. I don't mess with activity creation beyond what I
    need to test with but these two subdivisions (districts on SR) ought to be a activity creator's
    heaven on earth, especially in the 60s & 70s.
    1. HOT intermodal trains (but no containers yet) both ways.
    2. SR-118, hot intermodal that had two cabooses leaving Cincinnati. On arrival at Harriman Jct.
    portion behind first cab is cut off, gets motive power & proceeds over line to Knoxville that is
    already in the library. Front part continues to Atlanta where it splits, I part to New Orleans,
    1 to Jacksonville and picks up similar blocks from SR-119 out of Potomac Yard
    3. All north bounds were VERY HOT if there was the remotest possibility that they would get to
    Cincinnati in time to interchange before midnight, thus not having to pay another day of
    per diem on each car.
    4. One passenger train, the (not so) Royal Palm, prior to 1969. Cincinnati to Chattanooga was
    in daylight both ways.
    5. SparkPlug - HOT automotive parts train that had to get to Atlanta on time or both Ford
    and Chevrolet might have to shut down assembly lines.

I won't supply drooling towels.

Jerry Sullivan
    retired from CSX & SR
    Docent, C&TS RR

Jerry,

Now what we really need is the "Rat Hole" First District CNO&TP route. That would get my attention real quick. Especially if done as it was in the 70's and 80's.

http://www.gregariousrailfan.com/RatHole.html

Robert

Cool Rat Hole

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Jerry,

Now what we really need is the "Rat Hole" First District CNO&TP route. That would get my attention real quick. Especially if done as it was in the 70's and 80's.

http://www.gregariousrailfan.com/RatHole.html

Robert
    The first district did not have a particular name. The 2nd district was the Rat Hole. In the very beginning there was one
    tunnel north of Danville, on the segment just north of High Bridge. It was eliminiated early when High Bridge was
    built. However, most railfans refer to the whole CNO&TP as the Rat Hole, however as a SR employee I had to learn the
    difference QUICK else I give away the knowledge that I was a GASP railfan, a creature not welcome on the SR in the
    Brosnan era. I don't have the 1st district yet in my plans, but a little arm twisting might get it there. I want to go
    ahead and finish the Virginian although it will be ORTS only, the south end of the Big Sandy, and the L&N Eastern Ky.

Jerry

I have all of the necessary track charts, etc. for the whole CNO&TP. When I complete this 3rd district which
    I am doing for a friend in Tennessee, who, being legally blind, has considerable difficulty with track alignment
    etc, I may go ahead and set up to do the 1st district, Cincinnati to Danville, although I would likely start at
    Ludlow, KY and do the tracks, bridges, & most roads, and then put it in the "unfinished" category so you
    (Robert) or someone else can detail it out. As we most all know, detailing out a route is the time consuming
    part, and takes months, even years to do. As I am 82 and not getting younger, I'll probably put a number
    of routes out in that category. There are only 3 that I have a fire in the belly to finish and that would be the
    Virginian, Mainline of L&N, and Chattanooga Sub. of L&N/CSX.

Jerry Sullivan
    retired from CSX & SR
    Docent, C&TS RR

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the clarification.

I like my DVD of Southern steam excursions on the Rat Hole. One of the borrowed in engines being NKP765 when 2716 had troubles.

Robert

Robert,

The Rat Hole was quite a line. Although I was hired 2 years after the various line changes
    were completed that took out all but the 4 tunnels that remain, you could still see where
    many of them had been.

Perhaps the most exciting things I saw, several times, when we had backed into a spur
    at Cumberland Falls to let a bunch of per diem trains pass in the single track. They
    would come down from Greenwood, headed for Tateville and it is almost a constant
    1% down grade, so the dynamic would be all on, and quite a sound and fury it was.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Interesting tidbits.

Would be an interesting route to have the whole thing available for MSTS/ORTS.

Robert

I'm going to do the whole route in 3 parts to the extent that I can. I have doubts
    about how popular it would be as there is not much online industry. It was, and is,
    pretty much a bridge route which is why there was so much pressure to get the
    per diem trains off the property as quickly as possible. Employees were fired
    because they had some remote negative effect on those trains.

I should point out that this stretch around Cumberland Falls was single track in the late 60s
    but when it was constructed (1961-1963) the R/W was made wide enough for double track
    and by the early 80s it was made double track, so I will do it that way as I rely heavily on
    digitizing from Google Earth to get the location correct.

Jerry