Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clinchfield - Mountain Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Oh well,......you've just gotta look on the bright side of life, Mike.
    I do Bruce, it is very bright when DTG are not involved buddy.
    Yma O Hyd

Let us know how it drives. I wonder if it'll be as fluid, exciting, or challenging as trying to coax a coal train up that gradient from the mine in Derail Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    ....I wonder if it'll be as fluid, exciting, or challenging as trying to coax a coal train up that gradient from the mine in Derail Valley.
    Probably not.
    But then again, possibly so, if the physics/dynamics are out of whack!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

The Ipswich Model Railway Club has an N scale Clinchfield later that was given to us a few years ago in an unfinished state by it's builder. We have been slowly completing it and getting it operational. We are trying to get the scenery as close to the original Model Railroader layout as we can while changing the track layout a bit to allow more interesting operations.

I imagine we'll get more enjoyment out of the layout than we would from the TSW route as it will be the same old run the half dozen provided scenarios and that's your lot.
    Clinchfield.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkathage View Post
    The Ipswich Model Railway Club has an N scale Clinchfield later that was given to us a few years ago in an unfinished state by it's builder. We have been slowly completing it and getting it operational.
    Is that an original copy of the booklet that was produced by Model Railroader that I see on the layout, Alvin?

If so, for God's sake don't get it damaged! It's worth a small fortune!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I know we are going off topic but I bought this one a while back, for well under £20.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/978094543...0945434405/plp

It's even more expensive on various Amazon stores!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I know we are going off topic but I bought this one a while back, for well under £20.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/978094543...0945434405/plp

It's even more expensive on various Amazon stores!
    Off-topic or not, that was a good pick-up, Vern.

What a shame that all those great independent railroads either merged or faded away.
    There was something very attractive about BN's green.......and the Rio Grande's black and gold.

A colleague from work (also now retired) had a similar book covering the Milwaukee Road out in the western states. When I got round to looking for a copy, starting price was over £100!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ....When I got round to looking for a copy, starting price was over £100!
    I can quite believe it, Vern.
    One thing that I have learned over the years is that certain books and magazines appreciate in value but, as the Modern Railroader anecdote proves, I usually learn too late!

I did that with all my model railway stuff too, Bruce. Sold it off at bargain basement price, now look at how much some of it is worth!
    Vern.