Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridge: how do you snap tracks?

Default Bridge: how do you snap tracks?

Hi,

In TSRE, maybe just a simple question to some of you, but how can you add another section of track if the last section is on a bridge? Or is there a way to have the pointer not following the ground under the bridge but following the track? I tried selecting many options but none add the track at the right place. My bridge is place over another track on ground level and the last piece of track going on the bridge is a curved one with a slope.

Thanks

Michel

You have the answer in the basic guide: http://koniec.org/tsre5/recontrols.html

Hi Michel,

Right click in [Select] mode and change pointer mode to "stick to all".

Image1.jpg

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks for your reply Goku and Scott...i was not aware of that guide and how to change the "stick to" for the pointer.

Michel

My preferred method to lay bridge or tunnel tracks is this.
    1 Make a copy of your tiles folder.
    2 Lay your track piece and press F to raise/lower the ground to your track
    3 Repeat this until you reach the other end.
    4 Save your route and close TSRE
    5 Delete the Tiles folder and rename the copy as Tiles.
    6 Open your route in TSRE and the terrain is back as before

Garry

If you plan to undercut the terrain under your bridge, go ahead and use the "F" key to make your cut as you place each track. That will make it super easy to place the next section of track.

Another way to do it is to go to the view menu and hide the terrain shape (Alt-V-H).

You do need to be very careful with placing track without terrain visible because it can (and will) land out of view if it doesn't snap right away... I just removed a dozen or so pieces that were all sitting below 0 and -2000m after six weeks of accidental drops below terrain level (and inspiring yet another new quality check for WFH to look for when scanning a route).

placing track without terrain visible because it can (and will) land out of view if it doesn't snap right away
    Yup . . . I got to pressing the Delete Key anytime a track section vanished when I was snapping w/no terrain visible.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I don't know why you have so big problem when snapping tracks without terrain. Maybe change line width so that you can better see if pointer is sitting on the track, or change mouse sensitivity so that the pointer won't go off the track when your hand slightly moves when you press the mouse button? Both settings can be modified in settings.txt file.

Maybe you need to consider some a tighter sphere for where you allow the pointer to go?

I'm finding most of the "lost below ground" pieces wind up with a negative Y value that's more than 100m below the tile's floor, and many of them wind up in an adjacent W file. That's illogical by any measure, even on a subway route...

I wont limit pointer because now you can point at an far object and instantly jump there.