Thread: BNSF_Scenic Trestle Support Issue (Quick Fix)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb BNSF_Scenic Trestle Support Issue (Quick Fix)

Some of the trestle supports in the BNSF_Scenic route extend above the tracks. Here is a "quick & dirty" fix for this annoying glitch. Just rename these two files in the SHAPES folder:
    1) rename trestle_support.s to trestle_supportX.s
    2) rename trestle_support.sd to trestle_supportX.sd

By the way, this can also be done for the TS_StarterRoute.

This is a rather "crude" fix, as it has the effect of removing the supports entirely; however, you may find this more aesthetically pleasing.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge and skill can provide a "proper" fix ...

Regards,
    Dan Reid

That will do nicely Dan! Many thanks.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

The proper fix has been covered in this thread:
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-Trestle-Issue

Two methods covered in posts #7 & #8
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

The proper fix has been covered in this thread:
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-Trestle-Issue

Two methods covered in posts #7 & #8
    Indeed, the trestles can be repaired using the method in post #8 of that discussion thread, although the details may seem daunting to casual gamers, and the instructions are somewhat outdated, as the shape file has only one "lod" instead of two, in the free routes.

In reality, the repair can be completed in a couple of minutes.

You will need the Shape File Manager (smp25.zip https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....ight&fid=28928). It is worth downloading for this purpose alone, because it does a magnificent job of repairing this shape file.

1) Open Shape File Manager by double-clicking on "sfm25.hta".
    2) Navigate to the SHAPES folder of your route.
    3) Locate "trestle_support.s"
    4) Click on its OPTIONS, then select "Uncompress".
    5) Click again on its OPTIONS, then select "Shift". Type -23 in the Y box, and +5 in the Z box, then click "OK".
    6) Click once again in its OPTIONS, then select "Compress".
    7) Close Shape File Manager.

Now drive over those trestles, and admire your repairs.

The repair works for the TS_StarterRoute, as well as BNSF_Scenic.

Regards,
    Dan Reid

Quote Originally Posted by adreid View Post
    Indeed, the trestles can be repaired using the method in post #8 of that discussion thread, although the details may seem daunting to casual gamers, and the instructions are somewhat outdated, as the shape file has only one "lod" instead of two, in the free routes.

In reality, the repair can be completed in a couple of minutes.

You will need the Shape File Manager (smp25.zip https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....ight&fid=28928). It is worth downloading for this purpose alone, because it does a magnificent job of repairing this shape file.

1) Open Shape File Manager by double-clicking on "sfm25.hta".
    2) Navigate to the SHAPES folder of your route.
    3) Locate "trestle_support.s"
    4) Click on its OPTIONS, then select "Uncompress".
    5) Click again on its OPTIONS, then select "Shift". Type -23 in the Y box, and +5 in the Z box, then click "OK".
    6) Click once again in its OPTIONS, then select "Compress".
    7) Close Shape File Manager.

Now drive over those trestles, and admire your repairs.

The repair works for the TS_StarterRoute, as well as BNSF_Scenic.

Regards,
    Dan Reid
    Interesting choice of words "daunting and outdated" since the instructions first posted are only just year old, and your method is the same as posted by geepster with this exception "+5 in the Z box" instead of "+2.0 on the Z axis" -- geepster using "axis" evinces more precision, perhaps. Does an adjustment of +5 instead of +2 on the Z axis provide a more ( or less ) effective repair? I also find it curious that this new approach is quite different from that you first posted??

Not being an expert with the mechanics of shape files I never knew the reasoning behind this instruction from geepster
    then go to Distance Levels and set both LODs to 1000m. This basically forces the bad LOD to be visible all the time.
    However, this post could be considered a quibble. The fix is in, and that--- in this case -- is a good thing.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Smile Correction

Thank you, Gerry, for spotting the typo in my previous post. As you have indicated, the correct shift value is +2.0 on the Z axis.

Post #8 of the discussion thread to which Gerry referred, was written by geepster775, but I neglected to mention that in my post, so I apologize to geepster for this oversight.

I had actually discovered that other discussion thread months ago, but I myself felt daunted, at that time, by the prospect of trying to learn how to use a different (and unfamiliar) tool. When I finally got up the courage to make another attempt, I discovered that it was actually a breeze to replicate geepster's process!

The proper repair is REALLY easy -- no one should hesitate to try it!

Regards,
    Dan Reid