Thread: DDS vs ACE

Default DDS vs ACE

Hi, guys!

Can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong when creating .dds texture files? I've noticed ugly looking "artefacts" around stickers that do no appear to be visible on the same texture saved as .ace file.

I work in Photoshop CS6 and save .dds files using the NVidia plugin.

Here's a direct comparison of the same texture in DDS and ACE format:

Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Hi Borislav,

I'm assuming you're running compression on the DDS export ?

I think it's your source image that might have some artifacts.

I ran a test with the NVidia Plugin - two 2048x2048 texture sheets - one with DXT5 Compression [DXT5 ARGB 8bpp Interpolated Alpha] - the other a 32 Bit uncompressed image [8.8.8.8 ARGB 32 bpp | unsigned]. Obviously - the 32bit uncompressed image is visibly smoother - but even the DXT5 doesn't have the artifacts yours has.

DXT5
    dxt5 by Scott B, on Flickr

32Bit Uncompressed
    8888 by Scott B, on Flickr

Regards,
    Scott

I have the program that suppose to convert DDS to Ace.but everytime I try it doesn't work.

"I ran a test with the NVidia Plugin - two 2048x2048 texture sheets - one with DXT5 Compression [DXT5 ARGB 8bpp Interpolated Alpha] - the other a 32 Bit uncompressed image [8.8.8.8 ARGB 32 bpp | unsigned]. Obviously - the 32bit uncompressed image is visibly smoother - but even the DXT5 doesn't have the artifacts yours has."

Thank you very much, Scott! I had always been using the DXT5 ARGB 8bpp version and this was causing the issue. I just tried the 8.8.8.8 ARGB 32bpp version and the texture is nice, smooth and clean! I have no idea what these different options really mean, but I guess I will be using this option from now on. Thank you very, very much!

"I have the program that suppose to convert DDS to Ace.but everytime I try it doesn't work."

I don't know about "programs" to convert DDS to ACE. I use Photoshop to create a DDS file directly or to create a TGA file, which I then convert to ACE using TGA Tools, if I need an ACE file.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Ghost View Post
    "I ran a test with the NVidia Plugin - two 2048x2048 texture sheets - one with DXT5 Compression [DXT5 ARGB 8bpp Interpolated Alpha] - the other a 32 Bit uncompressed image [8.8.8.8 ARGB 32 bpp | unsigned]. Obviously - the 32bit uncompressed image is visibly smoother - but even the DXT5 doesn't have the artifacts yours has."

Thank you very much, Scott! I had always been using the DXT5 ARGB 8bpp version and this was causing the issue. I just tried the 8.8.8.8 ARGB 32bpp version and the texture is nice, smooth and clean! I have no idea what these different options really mean, but I guess I will be using this option from now on. Thank you very, very much!

"I have the program that suppose to convert DDS to Ace.but everytime I try it doesn't work."

I don't know about "programs" to convert DDS to ACE. I use Photoshop to create a DDS file directly or to create a TGA file, which I then convert to ACE using TGA Tools, if I need an ACE file.
    Hi Borislav,

Happy to help. Yeah - 32bit uncompressed can get pretty big but offer the best quality.

Regards,
    Scott