Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Bundy

Default Tyler Bundy

Tyler I have a question about your Chessie system SD40 locomotives.
    What is the diffrence between the Chessie SD40 and the SD40-2 and how hard would it be to convert the SD40 to a SD40-2?

The -2s have the elongated "porch" on the front and rear. Quite a visual difference.

The SD40-2 is 3 feet longer than the SD40 and the trucks are different, too.
    onen hag oll!

The long ends are the result of using a different type of truck. Side-by-side, a sraight 40 and a -2 will actually look pretty different.

I wonder if he's planning a straight 38?

And to add to the confusion, Great Northern ordered SD-40's (40 I think) late. So late EMD had scrapped the molds for the SD-40 frame. Rather than lose the order, EMD offered to build SD-40's onto the SD-40-2 frame. GN accepted. Their porches were even longer, the result of the SD-40 carbody built onto the SD-40-2 frame.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    The long ends are the result of using a different type of truck. Side-by-side, a sraight 40 and a -2 will actually look pretty different.

I wonder if he's planning a straight 38?

I did email him and he really gave me a great answer and explanation of the diffrences as some have mentioned here. But to answer your question sir. He did say somewhere down the road will be GP38 GP40 no dash 2 SD38 SD39 and more SD40.

Hi,

One oddball that would be neat to have is the ICRR SD40A built on the SD45 frame for the larger fuel tanks.

Robert

Tyler has my attention when it comes to straight GP38's and GP40's. Hopefully he does the -2 versions of both as well. Maybe I can team up with him and work on a GP38-2 (downgraded from a GP40) model.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Hi,

One oddball that would be neat to have is the ICRR SD40A built on the SD45 frame for the larger fuel tanks.

Robert
    That's actually one of the latest units he's done. Just search SD40A in the F/L.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

The SD38-2, SD40-2 and the SD45-2 were all share the same frame at 68'10" being 3' longer than the SD38, SD40 and SD45's. The hoods on the SD38-2 and SD40-2 were 18" longer. The 3 motor flexicoil truck and the 3 motor HT-C truck used on the Dash 2 series had the same length with axle spacing slightly changed by inches due to the traction motor orientation with the center axle off center.
    Kevin Kelleher