Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drone Footage Toronto, MAC Yard (Hump), and Belleville, Ontario, Canada

anyways, we both / others probably best tone it down before we cause Sean's original post to become locked-down.
    We are indeed beginning to stray way off course.

Thank You Turd-Herder, you know what you did, planting seeds... lol
    Perhaps, should change this threads title to Farming Simulator 2021. Perhaps a better fit: Treatment Plant Operator 2021

Quote Originally Posted by SMRY View Post
    That baggage your speaking of, would you be Waldo (username) over to Rolling Line Discord?.
    Nope, know nothing of Discord, not a member...just speaking generally, life and learning experiences. You're right, strayed too far from original thread.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Nope, know nothing of Discord, not a member...just speaking generally, life and learning experiences. You're right, strayed too far from original thread.
    Threw me for a loop there for a moment, I see from PM. How about Microcosmologist?. I ask that as, he too uses same "It's my railroad, blah, blah, ect. ect.
    Anyways, appears we both've come to our senses. Sean should be safe with thread.

Actually I've never been one to want to face controversy, what ends up happening is I don't walk on egg shells. Because of that I happen to trigger some people and usually it's that point that I won't back down. In the past I would of dragged this out and stood my ground eventually resulting in a locked thread. I have my own personal soap box on my YouTube channels, and sites if I want to use them for a good laugh with my friends. So it's in those locations where I will hold nothing back. Really simple I had a choice to make, watch threads get locked constantly when it went off topic or hurt someone's feelings, or try to take the high road while still defending myself as civil as possible.

This whole forum post started for one reason, and that was to share something I thought was cool. I didn't think it was controversial since there are similar videos already on YouTube. I was happy to see Steve appreciated this, and that was the whole point to share something cool. Not to start or be part of another battle.

Some of the opinions here are also shared by people I know who fly drones. Others I know who fly drones don't see an issue. So I asked Scott in an email what his opinion was and mentioned what was posted here on his professional opinion to which he is the best qualified to answer. As I've said as far as the law is concerned I believe I'm in the right on this one.

The one issue that I have seen a video on is birds. This is something I noticed quite a bit of activity near water where there is bird activity and to be honest I believe in those situations it's very risky. But to eliminate full risk I would compare this to an car driving down a street. The risk is always there that a car can plow into someone's property.

Would I fly a drone over this yard again, possibly, but likely not because I got the shot I wanted. I haven't checked the logs but I believe I was over the ROW for about 2 minutes and remained off to the side the remainder. Vast majority of my filming is away from the right of way. I will venture over any property provided I'm not in Class F airspace, over people, etc.

In flying a drone height is your friend. Many high rises on the opposite side of the yard with a telescope can get the same image if not better. So when your to the side of the ROW in an area that you can access this is the optimal location to film.

Finally I'll mention the part of Google Earth. Google images are still, or cropped to one another often giving an inaccurate representation of the scene as well as low resolution. However they do have enough resolution similar to a drone where the case of privacy or trade secret is thrown out the window. In other words the reason why Area 51 and many air bases have no Google imagery is because they are military class F airspace and strictly forbidden. Those are the type of information that can lead to national security issues.

In the case of flying a drone to observe a switching operation at an industry you would not see otherwise from a nearby road due to distance, land, trees, etc. in the way this is an incredible tool. Take the 1st video I shot in Belleville where I followed a local switcher for 800 meters all away from the ROW with the exception of passing over an unoccupied track. Yes you can follow by car but knowing what spur he was taking, what track he was switching out, etc. is hard to determine unless you know from the crew or work at the industry being serviced. I had a similar shot in Dain City where I could observe 5 loaded cars being exchanged for 5 empties. A similar operation took place later on in Belleville that I captured. Simply put you can not possibly understand what is happening from Google Earth. In most cases with the exception of Street view your lucky to know what kind of car it is let alone what is actually happening.

Thanks

Sean

Just to close off this, is a video from the United States by an expert in the field who also has legal research looking into the subject....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHM4BvXWViI

In the United States FAA own the airspace just like NavCanada on this side of the border. The laws in Canada are a bit lighter when it comes to the drone I'm flying and what is covered under Homeland Security rules. For example my drone does not lock me out of the area. That being said the term "critical antistructure" is mentioned in the information I can see on government websites, but not defined.

I took a leak for example behind a relay case and a Halton regional officer must of noticed me and had a talk with me. I wasn't confrontational and treated him with respect. I planned on putting up a drone nearby (not over the tracks or on property by this location of a train about 10 miles out). I found another location because of that to avoid any further confrontation.

So in closing I probably wouldn't push my luck in this grey area, but I will certainly observe trains at a distance which from what I can see is completely legal in Canada.

Thanks

Sean