Thread: Engines coupled too close together?

Default Engines coupled too close together?

I have a pair of ATSF FP45's with major gap issues when they're coupled. What would be the fix for that?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by spoony1999 View Post
    I have a pair of ATSF FP45's with major gap issues when they're coupled. What would be the fix for that?

Thanks

By the naming of the Shape file, I am assuming that these are SLI locos. I have both of these engines created by 3DTS and SLI. Created a consist of 93 and 90. Then viewing the Consist with Shape Viewer, I find that they are not jammed together. Suggest you look at your consist in the game.

Looked at my consist in TSRE-CE and they are not jammed together in that display either. Further investigation, I found that your FP45-93 is in the folder SF_FP45_93 where as my FP45-93 is in the folder SLI.Seligman. So you probably have the Trainset package were I have the ones that came with the route ATSF Seligman.

If they are jammed together in the game, then you might want to check the bounding box. Mine are 22.599m in length.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    By the naming of the Shape file, I am assuming that these are SLI locos. I have both of these engines created by 3DTS and SLI. Created a consist of 93 and 90. Then viewing the Consist with Shape Viewer, I find that they are not jammed together. Suggest you look at your consist in the game.

Looked at my consist in TSRE-CE and they are not jammed together in that display either. Further investigation, I found that your FP45-93 is in the folder SF_FP45_93 where as my FP45-93 is in the folder SLI.Seligman. So you probably have the Trainset package were I have the ones that came with the route ATSF Seligman.

If they are jammed together in the game, then you might want to check the bounding box. Mine are 22.599m in length.
    The bounding box was the issue, I changed it to your numbers and it was fixed

Hello,
    when there are problems with the lenghth of locos and cars I'd recommend the good old steam4me tutorial
    https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/length.html
    After working through this tutorial I've often played with the r0 value in the coupling section of the eng file when the distances weren't correct yet. I tried this way to get correct coupling distances for steam locos. (front, rear, and tender) Maybe you remember the old front coupling problem. The r0 values sometimes looked qute strange, but they worked. Another solution could be to put two coupling sections into the eng file. (Remember the first section is for the rear coupling, and the second for the front.)

Keep on steamin'
    Dietmar

I'm surprised to learn that adjusting the bounding box in the .sd file fixed the close coupling issue.

The way I have done it recently is to use the Shape Viewer program (shapefileviewer25.zip).

1. Load the shape into the program to look at it.

2. Click File and then Open Second Shape.

3. Choose the SAME shape that you first opened. A little window will pop up giving options for moving the second shape into place.

4. Move the second shape forward or backward until the couplers look like they are coupled with the first shape. You can fine tune this placement to get them matched up the way you think they should look when coupled up. DO NOT CLICK OK.

5. I say not to click OK because this distance that you have moved the shape will roughly be your Z axis number in the Size entry of the .eng file. Size ( Xm Ym Zm ) On my SD40A, it appears that I have reduced the size by 0.04 to get the couplers to line up in game.

This method is quick, simple, and gets good results without a lot of guess and check work. If this gives you couplers that are coupled on one end and spaced on the other, the shape has a Center of Gravity problem. The Steam4Me tutorial listed earlier has a fix for this at the bottom.

I hope this wasn't too confusing!

Tyler

Hi Folks,

While I see this is in the MSTS forum - just some tips I’ve come across with when working on same using ORTS. In ORTS - I don’t think the SD file is actually used. ORTS only uses a single coupler block - I forget if it’s the first or last that’s actually used - so it’s simpler to just delete one and modify the remaining set to get desired result.

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,
    Agree with Scott regarding the stock .sd file - in my testing I've found that it's not used in Open Rails. However, the Size entry in the .eng file IS used, together, I believe, with the ro values in the Coupling block.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi,
    Agree with Scott regarding the stock .sd file - in my testing I've found that it's not used in Open Rails. However, the Size entry in the .eng file IS used, together, I believe, with the ro values in the Coupling block.

Cheers,
    Ged
    AND in the ENG file used by the OP the length value in the Size line did not even agree with the length listed in the Description field. 19.698m vs 22.05m in length
    Charles