Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Curious About Run 8.

Agree with your most astute sumnation, Bruce.

But for me personally it is because i am not a social animal and never very good with people.

I am just as likely to tell someone to F off, if they annoyed me on or off line.
    Yma O Hyd

I'm just the opposite I reckon. I've always, been rather quiet, non-smoker / non-drinker, not so much as a drop of soda, no social fly, went about my work. Along came first PC, first game purchased while the better half lay dying, pc was to help me sit still. For quite some time, was just plain too scared to join / try anything MP, feeling inferior to the younger crowd, &, my being so so green.. Now even with the mini-wars via pc along the way, prefer MP for the most part, as, it's really the only contact with the living for the most part. Surely my idea of MP not what many of the younger have in mind. Those cases I usually hang / play for a time, then eventually die away. FYM was my very first venture in MP, great for a time, now history. R8 was the latest venture in MP, that drive has now faded away. Luckily Rolling Line for the moment has picked up the emptiness with its ability to create. I tried giving up on the pc several times, as, some advised act my age. Indeed tried, even going to the senior center, sitting with others in the picture window staring at the world outside, talking non-stop of former days. All had no clue, nor, desire hearing old RR stories, really all I had to offer the sunshine home. Now I've returned to my pc & internet home / families. Some continue on, while others dying away for me. Eventually all will be history. be my passing, or, loss of sight. Perhaps we should place bets, whomever wins do a good deed gift a RR game for someone down on funds at the time. I've gifted R8 3 times, that in itself is a first for me.
    Last edited by SMRY; 04-20-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Personally, I can take it or leave it. Very similar to you Scott not much of a social person. I didn't see MP as a social even, and I believe many do. Same thing happens with model railroad clubs. That last club I belonged to and could easily join back with open arms any time is a prototypical operating club based on the 70's on CP in Sudbury (club is based out of Waterloo, ON which is about 1.5 hours from me). My son joined me on some of the more recent trips. Even came in to operate as a guest just before Covid hit last year.

The club is very unique among others because it focuses on operation. Not many do that. One of the reasons I began to look towards things like Run8 was because it became my club. RTS had it's home and spread to others. For a while it was very manageable and didn't require huge numbers to operate prototypical levels. In fact it probably still could on the SE or NE routes, but the numbers were never there on my end to support it.

Run8 has always focused toward MP, and understandably so. The issue for me is how many times can I see a random train pass by with no purpose. It reminds me of model railroad clubs who just run trains for the sake of admiring them. Nothing wrong with that as the majority seem to like that, just no my thing. As for single player running yourself with your own dispatching is about as exciting as writing your own activities in MSTS then running them. You know how everything is playing out. There are no surprises, no random things taking place in even a scheduled call system to make each run different.

Probably well over a year now I knew two things were going to happen 1) Run8 was coming out with V3 with better AI dispatching or newer regions a small group could handle and enjoy 2) I was going to lose interest and stop coming up with new ideas that I'd eventually give up. The later happened, and we know nothing new about V3 or what it's going to bring to the table.

Basically there is nothing enticing me to expect anything different. Still anyone who hasn't tried Run8 needs to try it and I'm sure they will get their money's worth and have lots of fun in the experience. If your not as worried about operations there are a couple good servers out there that will give you plenty of meets, banter, and community. If you like single player, you can still have a fun time. For me personally, it just got old.

Thanks

Sean

metalangel Guest

I am likewise an introvert and while I like the fact that there's other people around doing interesting things, I don't really want to have much interaction with them or to socialize. I play other games like this (WURM Online, Elite: Tedious and EVE Online) and am generally solitary. Why play, then? Because, as you say, Sean, you want whatever's happening to matter. Randomly driving trains around is nothing compared to making them drive for a specific purpose (this is what Derail Valley gets so right, IMHO). Having other people around and your effect on the game world also makes what you do matter a little more than doing it for your own pleasure.

I do accept that this desire sort of contradicts with the one to be left alone. Any in-game guilds/clans/whatever I've joined have been casual ones where there's no obligation to play for a minimum amount of time, or a regular night, or anything like that (those sort of days are long behind me).

Incidentally, there was a forthcoming game called Book Of Travels which is an online multiplayer game, but encounters with other players will be a rare and special occurrence, most of your time will be spent alone. I love this idea, as you can opt out of any interactions if and when they happen. That it's set in a beautiful watercolour fantasy world with some 19th century fantasy technology (including railways) is a bonus.

Book Of Travels sounds very interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

But on your main point, it has to matter. If a group likes to get together that's cool, and if friends like to goof around that is great as well. But being with so many limited choices you either hosted like I did once a blue moon ago, and set some kind of expectations for the server. By doing so you limit yourself. AI was a huge help in V2 but eventually it can only do so much work. For me personally teamspeak and social events was not the reason I enjoyed MP.

I've got to look again at Derail Valley.

Thanks

Sean

If you have never been to the ocean do not try to describe it. Get run8 and judge for yourself.
    sparkplug

Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    LOL Can't even begin to imagine the reaction if the V2 addon rolling stock and routes is not backward compatiable.......
    That would be forward compatible; if v2 was to be backward compatible it would be with v1, not v3.
    Maybe you meant to say that v3 has to be backward compatible with v2 in order to keep us all happy.

But as far as I'm concerned, when v3 is released I don't care whether or not v2 'stock & routes can be used, if the updated version is clearly a shiny new vehicle with features that we've been seeking.

I'll buy it anyway.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Ditto Seagoon. My expectations (not for Run8 but for what train sims could or should be in general) is probably too high for any developer. Yet I continue to be drawn to decent sims like ATS that at vanilla have done it right. For me ATS doesn't need mods, but it's nice to have a feature in there for those that want it. Doesn't have to be perfect and it's not. How many times I've got a stupid light violation before sunset or red light when I clearly came to a full stop before the line to make a right hand turn. Unless of course they are still illegal as they used to be in the United States years ago. Regardless I can live with the imperfections and enjoy a wonderful experience.

I'm not a member of the "Train Club For Serious Simmers". Someone here will let us know when the next update comes to their website which was about a year and a half ago. If we make enough noise the police will come by or the actual developers and tell us why our imagination for a product we (once) loved is wrong.

The only thing I've heard about version 3 over the past 3 years is it's a new engine, it will have turntables, transfer tables, moveable bridges, it will be ready when it's ready, and it's not dead That leaves plenty of room for speculation (prohibited at the official club endorsed by Run8).

Nothing that I know of in development is going to come close of surpassing Run8 in my opinion as the best train simulator on the planet. I got my money's worth a long time ago. Those features and shiny new graphics are not enough to entice me to purchase anything. For me personally I'll continue to enjoy prototype trains, pipe dream of what could of been, and tinker with Unity and their standard shapes and downloadable assets and see what happens.

For me it took a long time to drop RTS and focus on something else I could love. But you only live once and I think I found that sometimes you let go and you find yourself much happier for it. I better get off this keyboard now, I have to get ready for work My happy weekend is over.

Thanks

Sean

V3 will handle V2 stuff just fine. Some V2 stuff will even have updates to handle new features. In other words, if you bought it for V2, it'll be just fine if not better in V3. That's how we operate.

Quote Originally Posted by bnsf4794 View Post
    V3 will handle V2 stuff just fine. Some V2 stuff will even have updates to handle new features. In other words, if you bought it for V2, it'll be just fine if not better in V3. That's how we operate.
    Good to read. Thank you.

I'll start easing my piece of plastic out of my wallet............
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0