Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious About Run 8.

This is the interesting thing because Run8 I know has taken ideas from the community. What they don't take well is criticism or fear of being shown as not perfect. My track record of being kicked out of a beta team is all the evidence one needs. I talk about a known flaw already experience by others called explosions, then I show a video of it happening and how to get around it and I'm removed from the beta team.

Sure I take things personally and perhaps being a small team that is less about PR and marketing is bound to happen. But I know plenty of single developers in survival games and others that I enjoy that take not only the constructive critical thoughts but the rather bad ones and simply ignore them.

I get developers of new games coming to my channel all the time when I try wares of theirs out. Perhaps they simply don't care, at least that is how it comes across. But again that is their business.

Thanks

Sean

I've often wondered why they never advertise in Model Railroader or Trains magazine's, I would think there's still alot of those folks that know nothing about Run 8 even existing!

Quote Originally Posted by Radmaximus View Post
    I've often wondered why they never advertise in Model Railroader or Trains magazine's, I would think there's still alot of those folks that know nothing about Run 8 even existing!
    If my memory is working correctly, I think it was in Trains that I saw the first ad for Microsoft's Train Simulator.

The advert worked, I bought the sim and never went back to my model railway layout!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I remember the MSTS as well as Raildriver advertising in 'Trains'. Microsoft has an advertising budget and its main goal is to make money. Probably not the case with Run8.

I'm not sure about MSTS but Train Dispatcher and another program (one of the first simulators for the life of me I can't remember) was advertised. I remember at the time I only had a Commodore 64 so I tried programming a CTC machine that was primitive but worked. It was nothing compared to TD3 and 3.5 once I made it to the IBM platform after the purchase of a 286 laptop. SIAM, another UK Train Simulator (which had cool CTC signals at the time for the U.S.), and eventually MSTS, Run8 (with a bit of RTS coding in V1), Trainz. Now I'm working on the stand alone version of RTS.

Run8 has done good with word of mouth advertising. I was doing an RTS MP concept in TD3 with 2 others just prior to Run8. When I moved onto Run8 I mentioned how good Run8 was and at least 1 got involved. Others told me they personally seen my videos on YouTube which encouraged them to get it. Of course I'm not the only one who have brought awareness to this great program. I did the same thing with FYM. Others have used similar techniques in survival and space games that I enjoy as well.

Now the way that works however is there are some huge gamer youtubers out there (way more followers than me) who are given keys to games to try out. Colonel Failure is one in the UK who enjoys things like Transport Fever, and now is some how involved with DTG. But others do the same thing here in North America. I follow a good 2 dozen people who get first shot at new upcoming early access games which seems to be a really good method of advertising. You simply give them a free game, and they play it on YouTube. It's a win win because the YouTubers is getting views which gives him advertising revenue through YouTube and the developer gets very cheap advertising.

This works really well for Steam, but can work for any platform. My reach was only at most I'd say 2 dozen buys of Run8 that I know of. But YouTubers who do this for a living bring in hundreds of people.

But once again it's as simple as showing a WIP screen shot that gets shared across social media, and forums. You had a developer with I believe a duo come on here showing what he has coming up in another thread. There is a very loyal fanbase that would happily share images and teaser videos. But when a you tube channel has nothing, and a site isn't updated. If your a certain forum that doesn't allow critical posts of your product you hear things. If your another forum that doesn't police critical comments well they don't get much attention.

This is why nobody outside of the Run8 bubble has even heard of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Colonel Failure as even heard of Run8, and I highly doubt it's on DTG's radar. Again just observations, it's their business.

Thanks

Sean

I would imagine DTG are well aware of Run 8’s existence... I’ve certainly seen it mentioned more than once on the official forum including by myself when comparing to their North American products.
    Vern.

I'm rather new to train Sims (2.5 years ago) - I started because I simply wanted to run through some switching scenarios. Now I have four sims. I can't quite figure out Run8 (the people behind it). I've only been on board with Run8 for a couple of weeks but I don't recall ANY collection of email for marketing purposes. Only registration. Most marketing email comes from my TS2021 purchase (by a long shot!). I believe Trainz sends out an email every two weeks. It's as though Run8 wants to remain "hidden." I heard about Run8 in N3V's (Auran) Trainz forums.

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    ......t's as though Run8 wants to remain "hidden." I heard about Run8 in N3V's (Auran) Trainz forums.
    Well, there you have it - mention by a third-party on a forum which has nothing to do with the product itself!
    Maybe you're right and they want to remain exclusive!

Reminds me in some way of a 1960's story about a Ferrari dealer we had in Sydney by the name of Scuderia Veloce. They were the only Sydney dealer, the next closest was way down in Melbourne.
    One Saturday morning a scruffy bloke in stained shorts and T-shirt walked into the showroom, and asked to have a test drive of whatever it was in the place at the time. He was refused, and apparently not too politely, either.
    Some days later he pulled into the driveway in a brand-new Lamborghini which he had bought from the Sydney dealer of that particular vehicle and asked to see the manager.
    What he told him was that he had won the lottery, decided to buy an exotic car and the dealership was literally just a mile or so from where he lived. He'd been gardening that morning and when he had a break for morning tea he decided to go and see what Scuderia Veloce had....and didn't bother to change.
    When they snubbed their noses at him he just went elsewhere for his exotic car.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

And having said what I did... (2 posts above) I don't have to understand them. How they operate is us to them. I'm always amazed when someone buys a product and then feels like they can tell the owners how to run their business. I owned a hobby store for a number of years and had enough of that. Had I what done what all the customers suggested I would have been out of business in a year.

Customer is always right Bruce, well at least back in the day.

Plus never judge a book by it's cover.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd