Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious About Run 8.

1611mac your exactly right and I've tossed tons of ideas Run8's way. I don't think anyone expected them to implement their ideas, or even consider them. That actually takes time to go through all the forums and see all the ideas. But to their credit they have done just that to a certain extent and have looked through idea forums to see what fits their own personal road map and business interests.

As far as the secret service approach to keeping everything theirs, I'd almost say it borderlines hysteria personally. Trust me I asked my inner circle if I should blurt out any of my own ideas for what I'm developing (which I've yet shown a single screenshot). My son isn't quite down yet this morning and to be honest there has been very little attempts at coding it thus far. More image processing etc. but I'm hoping to change that today.

Why I mention my own experience is one I do take things personally and that is a negative trait of mine. Two I know how I fear having a real good idea but too slow to produce it compared to someone else who might see that idea and roll with it first at a better pace. Basically the car analogy would be I own a Fiat (actually I do) and someone else who knows what they are doing has a Ferrari and beats me to the finish line. That thought is scary and there are plenty of knock offs of survival games out there such as The Long Dark and other games like PUBG, Fortnite, there is so many I forget.

But here is the facts as we know it right now. Run8 has been around almost a decade now since they released. There was at least one or two wannabes to make a better Run8 and never did. Personally I have no interest in trying to better the Train Simulation in Run8. In fact to the OP or anyone who doesn't have Run8 I say this. If you want to know what it's like to be an engineer developed with the help of engineers you owe it to yourself to buy Run8 now. It is the best train simulator on the planet. Nothing comes close to that experience and you will get tons of playtime on it and is well worth the entry fee to experience it.

Having said that though I agree again it's Run8 business what they do. Anyways my son is downstairs now that I wrote another "novel" so it's time to get to work on my own projects.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Plus never judge a book by it's cover.

Mike.
    That's for sure, Mike.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    ..... I'm always amazed when someone buys a product and then feels like they can tell the owners how to run their business...
    It's called "feedback" and, depending upon how it is given, can be a very valuable thing to receive.
    And if many of the same types of comments are made then maybe the proprietor should start looking at it from the customer's viewpoint.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    It's called "feedback" and, depending upon how it is given, can be a very valuable thing to receive.
    And if many of the same types of comments are made then maybe the proprietor should start looking at it from the customer's viewpoint.
    Feedback is great. Not talking about feedback. I referred to customers who try to tell you how to run the business. Not the same thing.

I don't think anyone is trying to tell Run8 how to run their business. When I say it's their business it is their business. However having a website and not updating to keep an audience active. Well in my opinion most business owners will agree is lost interest and revenue. Again if this is just a hobby for them and make money on the side in a niche market, so be it. But I know at least 1 person that has been at this full time. Anyways just my 2 cents again not my business.

It's funny now that I'm developing my YouTube feed gets all kinds of stuff. One of them came up about wasting your time as a game developer. Prototyping for example and getting feedback is a great way of maximizing your profit etc. They're not too interested in criticism it seems to me.

Time to go to my real job now

Thanks

Sean

Agree I don't think anyone is telling Run 8/3DTS how to operate their business. However that doesn't mean to say their product or approach to marketing wouldn't benefit from a change. The concept of a semi multiplayer free roam train sim running through the western California desert might have been the bees knees ten years ago, but doesn't mean that is what people want now. Most of the other train sims have moved forward - MSTS morphed into OR, DTG invented Train Sim World etc. etc., all of which bring something fresh to the table.
    So yes, I do maintain that 3DTS need to evolve their product, whether by a collection of shorter more diverse routes, better single player experience, structured activities, AI signaller to stay on the playing field - and they need to tell us and future potential customers what they are doing. Or maybe it really is just a hobby business on the side for them and they don't really give a fig what anyone thinks of the product or their direction for it.
    Vern.

Disagree on the need for shorter routes Vern. What made me buy Run 8 originally. Was the concept of long routes and the fact they were all merged automatically. Creating a joined up network, which none of the other train games give the buyer.

I wouldn't give my spit for anything to do with TSW, never mind my money. DTG for me is a very poor role model to follow.

In regards anything to do with train games.

If Run 8 v3 was announced tomorrow, with much better graphics and an autonomous AI.

My card would be out in a flash. That is all it needs to sustain my interest into a next version.

What already exists apart from those two things in v2 is very good.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

agree 100% Vern. As for the rest I've always said options are a great thing, and Run8 already has a big network just waiting to be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ......maybe it really is just a hobby business on the side for them and they don't really give a fig what anyone thinks of the product or their direction for it.
    I think that hits the nail right on the head, Vern.

I agree with Mike on the route length. Shorter routes aren't my thing and, like him, one of the good things with Run 8 is the linking of route stages. For me, that is a large part of the attraction of the sim and was also why I particularly liked MLT's Rockies series: even though they were three separate routes (KHP, Rogers Pass and Shuswap) it was possible to create Activities which spanned them.

Run 8 has its branchlines. They're short routes.

Bruce i found out from NSWGR routes in Trainz. A branch line can be 300 miles long in Australia

In any train game, longer routes give the user choices. A short route gives you one choice.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd