Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious About Run 8.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Curious About Run 8.

I'm Frustrated with Open Rails and all the Problems I'm Having with Track Textures and I Gave Up On Trying to Get Into the Steam Library to Install TS2021 so I'm Curious About Run8. I've Visited the Site and Seen it on YouTube and I'm Wondering if Maybe it's What I'm Looking for.
    I Have a Dell 660s Computer with Just the Basic Components and Wondering if it will work with Run8.
    Any Info & Help will be Appreciated.
    Thankyou,
    DaveKfromUP

Quote Originally Posted by dkingsburg View Post
    I'm Frustrated with Open Rails and all the Problems I'm Having with Track Textures and I Gave Up On Trying to Get Into the Steam Library to Install TS2021 so I'm Curious About Run8. I've Visited the Site and Seen it on YouTube and I'm Wondering if Maybe it's What I'm Looking for.
    I Have a Dell 660s Computer with Just the Basic Components and Wondering if it will work with Run8.
    Any Info & Help will be Appreciated.
    Thankyou,
    DaveKfromUP
    As to PC specs the Run8 site should give a good indicator of hardware needed.
    Now, if your looking to mod, create your own equipment / engs / rollingstock/ worlds, textures, etc. that you'll be very unhappy, as not a feature of Run8.
    Perhaps, one day editors may indeed come along, sadly, at this time no such features available.

As a train simulator, nothing compares to Run8. Out of the box, it will run fine on the slimmest 660. Go all in with all the pay-ware routes & rollingstock and heavily populating the routes with trains/consists, the CPU/memory starts getting taxed. You won't get the extreme stuttering/pauses like MSTS variations when taxed, but frame rates can be low with older computer builds. A good graphics card helps processing renders, but the biggest appreciable difference in how the sim looks is achieved with a 4k monitor with a 4k video card. Run8 control panel has a few basic video controls, but customers have no control over its built in 3d settings through Windows or, for example, the NVidia control panel. And, as stated, there no creating/manipulation/editing any of the Run8 components.

Having said that, at this point, unless you plan on upgrading your system and have a few extra bucks laying around, I would hold off. As good as Run8 is, Version 3 is just around the corner. It's based on an entirely different graphics engine, and based on what little dev's have shared, its sure to require a much healthier system then an Inspiration 660xx, and it (and additions?) will co$t.

I hate to be contrary on an otherwise supportive post, but V3 isn't "just around the corner". We're plugging away on it, yes, as well as a bunch of other projects. Also, regarding performance, you won't need a super-computer, and in fact, V3 may run better than V2. The main bottleneck in Run8, as with any sim\game, is shadows. Any machine with a modern multi-core CPU and a decent graphics card will run Run8 just fine, even with shadows on under normal circumstances.

Best Regards,
    John Greenstone
    Run8 Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by bnsf4794 View Post
    I hate to be contrary on an otherwise supportive post, but V3 isn't "just around the corner"......
    Well, Hallelujah!!! At last we hear from the dev.
    That wasn't so painful, now was it, John?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Just wondering what issues the OP is having with Steam which prevents him getting up and running with TS2021 or even TSW2 (which is getting something really magnificent with the Clinchfield route very soon).

Run 8 has given me a lot of fun recently but will temper that with the fact I just suddenly burned out on it. Maybe it's the constant desert scenery, we might have a 400 mile route to operate (I haven't added the Fresno line yet), but therein is the problem. With hindsight I would much rather have a collection of shorter more varied routes maybe even some outside the USA, to drive.

I was having considerable fun with the industry feature but suddenly it dawned on me this was really just an infinite "radiant" element with no real end or objective. Having to operate as both driver and signaller can be onerous at time and the game really (IMHO) feels the lack of an organised schedule/activity/scenario editor and autonomous despatcher so you can set up movements with specific destinations without having to micromanage the whole shebang. The multiplayer element has never been of real interest to me. No historic diesel locos (F7's or Alco's) and no steam traction either to add a bit of spice.

I don't want to come across as negative as at times I really like R8 and sure I'll be drawn back eventually, but for now I'm quite absorbed with TSW2 and have even dusted off TS20xx to revisit some of my favourite routes and traction.
    Vern.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bnsf4794 View Post
    I hate to be contrary on an otherwise supportive post, but V3 isn't "just around the corner". We're plugging away on it, yes, as well as a bunch of other projects. Also, regarding performance, you won't need a super-computer, and in fact, V3 may run better than V2. The main bottleneck in Run8, as with any sim\game, is shadows. Any machine with a modern multi-core CPU and a decent graphics card will run Run8 just fine, even with shadows on under normal circumstances.

Best Regards,
    John Greenstone
    Run8 Programmer
    Its nice to hear that Run8 is still getting worked on. I will also agree with many other comments here that Run8 is very much worth it. I have no idea how many hours I have spent working yards, running locals, or climbing the grades on the main. And I have lost count of how many people I have introduced to the sim and how Run8 has become their go to sim. So if OP is still on the fence about it I will very much recommend pulling that trigger on buying Run8.

HOWEVER. My gods do I wish we got more centralized updates. It's kinda frustrating that its been so long with out any official word on whats going on. Ive had conversations with people on reddit where they claim that Run8 is dead. Which gets hard and hard to say it isn't when there is so little in terms of even news. Like, even this forum post wasn't easy to find. Not everyone who plays Run8, or Trainz, or TSW logs into this forum. In fact, the only reason I saw this post was because someone sent me a screen shot of a topic on The Depot talking about it.

Now if I where a new user and I went to r/trainsim on reddit and I asked "Hey whats a good train simulator that has multi player?" Someone would inevitably recommend Run8 and maybe even send a link. Regardless if they send me a link or I google Run8 I get to the Run8 web site where I could buy the sim. Yay me. But note, that in the process, never once did Trainsim.com come up. So as a new user I wouldn't see this post or the other comments that John has made in the past.

I recall in the past John had said something along the lines of "We can work on the sim, or we can post updates about working on the sim. But not both." Now I will argue that you can do both. And a very good example of how this can be done can be found in the sub sim, Wolfpack. To show this, let me tell you a the story of Wolfpack, so far....
    So March of 2019 Wolfpack dropped as an early access game on Steam being developed by just 2 guys. Some videos came out and it gained some traction. I even picked it up in April of that year. But a few months after launch there was nothing. No updates to the game on Steam. No comments on the Steam forums for it. Nothing on the Wolfpack discord. Players e-mails where even going unanswered. The players where quickly losing interest. Some called the game a dead game. Others claimed the devs took the money and ran. Some even requested refunds. It got so bad that potential new players would join the discord to ask questions, only to get pushed away by upset players. Finally after like 4 months the devs picked up on what was going on. They made the promise to be more transparent in what they where doing with the game. And since then, once a week, they post a very short little update on what they have worked on. These are just one sentence per person updates, but they show that progress is being made.

Here is an example of an update they put out:
    "Hello everyone!
    This week I've continued modeling the U-boat's new compartments. Koji is working on the new merchant ships. Oscar is working on the new water asset. Axel is working on the netcode."

So how could this be applied to Run8? Well, I don't think the once a week thing would work. But maybe once a month. And just int he press release section of the Run8 web site. Could look something like this :
    "This month John worked on improving the net code. Brad modeled some new building assets. Nigel worked on some textures"

This, I think, would help keep the hype up. Keep people interested. Sitting on my discord are at least a dozen people who don't own Run8, but are waiting for V3 because they assume its going to come out very soon. Having these progress reports/updates right there on the Run8 website would help them understand that we are maybe another year out form V3. It would also be easier to show the train sim community as a whole that, yes Run8 is still alive and kicking. And that V3 is being worked on.

Sorry to have derailed this thread a little, no pun intended. But I have wanted to say that for the last 4-5 months, I just didn't know where. And I was just talking about this during my servers Friday night op session and live stream. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk....lul

Very nice post, and I completely agree. Though I've had my issues here for sure, there are places far worse when it comes to speculation, constructive criticism, etc. Despite brining in, recommending, or other word of mouth support for the sim anything critical is brought under a microscope, while the intangible support seems to be overlooked.

But it's not my problem, I've always said it's their business and they can run it however they see fit.

But to echo your recommendation to anyone back on topic with the OP that you will get your money's worth and so much more by purchasing V2 right now.

Thanks

Sean

I'm happy to know & hear from John, trusting everyone well, &, in fine shape.
    "It'll Be Here, When it's Here".
    I must admit, pawing back thru the thread, &, with latest news,
    appears someone not so much in the know, as, they may have thought / felt.

Originally Posted by seagoon

Well, Hallelujah!!! At last we hear from the dev.
    Well praise be to you Bruce, you just gave me an epiphany with that comment and that is -

Standard forum tactic from here on, start a controversial topic every couple of months, throw in a good healty dose of "constructive" S**t Stirring, poke the chief bear, get a reponse .

On a serious note it's nice to hear that the preformance optimization of the new engine appears to be going well and hopefully we won't have to cripple our bank accounts with a huge computer upgrade.