Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious About Run 8.

UMR is fictional though buddy. CRM has a few sections and can be merged, even though it is payware.

Used to be on a site called Roytrains or similar. But also available in the N3V dlc store.

Yet again though, the loco and rollingstock physics are rubbish.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Open Rails on a bad day.

Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    UMR is fictional though buddy. CRM has a few sections and can be merged, even though it is payware.

Used to be on a site called Roytrains or similar. But also available in the N3V dlc store.

Yet again though, the loco and rollingstock physics are rubbish.

Mike.
    Not everyone who runs a Train game/sim has to have a prototypical route on every run. And as I said, they all have good points and bad points. But there is no doubt that if you want prototypical then Run 8 is your go to sim.

Trainz physics/dynamics really aren't bad at all (for North American stuff at least). Locos don't load instantly, there appears to be an attempt at modeling brake pipe propagation, all units can be actuated after a set on the automatic, and slack action is modeled pretty well.

It obviously falls short of Run 8 in that department, but it's actually decent.

Proto or bust for me buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

What you waiting for Sean ?

Christmas, end of covid, win the lottery ?

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I was going to buy that payware dispatcher proggie untill i saw the price.

The base version and all the desert regions $65 in total, no chance.

So i downloaded the free External Dispatcher, instead.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

You said proto or bust. I already own the best prototypical train simulator on the planet. I'm waiting for the next better thing. My graphics programming was great for a Commodore 64, and I did pretty good with RTS V1 beta for Run8. Even Unity which I'm currently using now to write the new RTS stand alone can only do so much.

Trust me I'm not waiting for anyone else, but I don't expect anyone else to do anything better than what we have now any time soon. As for V3 I have no idea what it's going to have, when it's going to be here, etc.

I even thought about saying the hell with RTS why not just go with Maritime Transportation Simulator. I think it's less complicated but they don't go as fast (takes 12 hours to get from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario on the Welland Canal through 8 locks). Besides I'm just getting into 3D simulations with Unity now.

You think the learning curve for Run8 was big, these game engines as powerful at they are takes lots of time. C# was never my strong suit despite learning C over 20 years ago. I was more of a fan of Basic and ok with Visual Basic. Took me quite a bit to give up my Basic security blanket to try and learn something new. So far it's about 9 steps back and 10 steps forward for every new aspect I try and create. But so far for the most part I'm enjoying the journey. Something I haven't been able to say about programming in the past. Probably because I knew the tools I had were not going to get what I really wanted done. This will now it's all about the motivation and feeding my brain something new.

The Raildriver sits on my shelf. Run8 V2 still sits on my hard drive (just waiting). I've always said if someone else builds something better I'd much rather be a user than a programmer. Trainz2019 also sits on my computer and my son has his on his computer and actually loves creating routes in it. I'm too anal about the prototypical routes I was trying to create.

Anyways I'm rambling again.

Thanks

Sean

Oh right, not sure that i understand any of your post above Sean.

But that is my failing. Trying to get to grips with ED, yet more complicated stuff i cannot get my head around.

I can see R8 being uninstalled, yet again down to my own failings.

Perhaps i should go back to Trainz. As apart from the lousy session creation method, everything else is pretty simple.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd