Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Curious About Run 8.

Over time everyone gets burned out not just you. It takes something either very good, new, exciting, constantly improving to really hold people. Run8 to it's credit has done that better than anyone in my opinion up to about the last couple of years.

That's not to say that something like DTG that has a new version once a year with very little change is the answer. Their optics are better as far as what they are focusing on to reel people in. Hell even I was reeled in by a scene of a place 30 minutes from me in Hamilton. But once you get into it there is no substance and mostly eye candy. Run8 has plenty of substance. Just doesn't have much growth within in my opinion. We'll see if that changes with V3.

For now as I said "I wait" but meanwhile I have my own program to develop.

Thanks

Sean

Run8 is a pretty good game. I like routes with a lot of meets and crossings. WayCross and A-Line are right up my ally. I'm not spending hours playtesting an activity with AI Traffic. I spawn trains before and during the session to keep a steady flow of traffic toward me. Then I delete them once they pass. It can be challenging playing dispatcher and engineer, but I feel more in control than in MSTS/OpenRails.

I don't know much about train physics, but Run8 feels more realistic. Braking isn't like hitting a key and everything stops in a 1/2 mile (though you can just stop). Instead, you can see the braking action travel down your train. The speedometer, which usually includes a prediction hand, moves up and down, suggesting cars are pushing and pulling the locomotive. Acceleration is the same. You can almost feel the train reacting. So it can be immersive.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of content, like OpenRails/MSTS. Run8 has the basics. You get some modern and classical locomotives. If you spend an extra $60, you can have what you need to recreate vert modern trains. However, I wish we had locomotives like the SD70MAC, ES44ACs, and the D9-44CW/AC4400. Routes can appear redundant in a lot of places. A-Line and Waycross are filled with places, but they look the same, just with buildings in different locations. OpenRails/MSTS has the same issue on popular routes. Run8 has a lot of crossings on some of their routes to keep you awoke.

I've spent close to $200 on Run8. I still would like to get Bakersfield and Cajon to run Z-Trains out of LA instead of Barstow. However, I'm reluctant because of the price tag and lack of content.

Overall Run8 is what I wanted: An train simulator that allowed me to run long trains across lengthy routes, containing a lot of crossings and AI traffic. I am driving my train now, not testing an activity. I will eventually dive into the Local aspect of Run8, but for now, I have what I want.

The routes would be better value if bundled with some additional stock. The big gap for me is the Fresno one, plus the branch lines around Bakersfield though(IMHO) the latter is a bit overpriced forwhat you get.
    Vern.

Not burned out Sean, just too much info to digest buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    The routes would be better value if bundled with some additional stock. The big gap for me is the Fresno one, plus the branch lines around Bakersfield though(IMHO) the latter is a bit overpriced forwhat you get.
    Yes.. I was shocked to see the cost of obtaining Power and Cars. I'll be running the "Run 8" Railroad until some rich aunt passes and leaves me her fortune. Too bad as I really love Run8, but generic power and cars really kinds of ruins things.

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    Yes.. I was shocked to see the cost of obtaining Power and Cars. I'll be running the "Run 8" Railroad until some rich aunt passes and leaves me her fortune. Too bad as I really love Run8, but generic power and cars really kinds of ruins things.

Time for a Job, &, Or, better paying Job. Also Note: "Charity begins at home".

They have to make money some way. Only so many copies of Run8 you can sell and I don't see anything else coming. All hands appear to be working on V3 now.

To be fair I think the quality is good and I've always been happy to support them. I don't have every piece or route, just what I needed at the time. No buyers remorse here.

Thanks

Sean

Pricey, may be more of an opinion. I'll admit. when I saw $40 here & there, sticker shock set in. But, I had to say to myself. You damned fool Scott, look at the money you've thrown away over the years, many, much more expensive out of the box, &, or, long term, &, where are they now. Collecting dust, rusting away, just plain lost. Now that I've been dabbling more & more with various creations, namely geared towards RL for the moment, can really appreciate the hard work the team has put in. The programming, that's another kettle of fish. I haven't the faintest. Surely Sean would know the talents, drive, dedication needed in that area. Again, lots of hard work no doubt.
    Sure, I'd like new additions just about daily, but, Rome wasn't built over night. With luck, V3 will go with me. "It'll Be Here, When, It's Here." lol... Lookout Mike, lots to digest Buddy.... What would everyone like as my next novel?...

Just for you Sean... "Bang A Gong"....

In regard to my post above.. Not saying I don't understand that Run 8 needs to make money, or that content is not worth it. Heck, a content pack is the cost of a couple of fast food drive throughs which the scales say I could certainly do without. Just saying is was kind of a shock. I'm sure that over time I'll skip some of those drive-throughs, have some cornflakes instead, and obtain some content.