Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious About Run 8.

OMG that 2nd last post was funny Seagoon

The funny thing Vern is I've been where your at and I know exactly what you mean by doing multiple tasks at once. But my brain has been trying lately to figure out a way to get my operations in and get the rail driver plugged in again.

Coding is not easy (I can't come to terms with writing a dozen lines of code these days let alone hundreds) and I believe I do support Run8 despite my impatience. If anything seeing the real trains has sparked inspiration to try something, I'm not sure what.

Thanks

Sean

Originally Posted by seagoon

Well, Hallelujah!!! At last we hear from the dev.
    Well praise be to you Bruce, you just gave me an epiphany with that comment and that is -

Standard forum tactic from here on, start a controversial topic every couple of months, throw in a good healty dose of "constructive" S**t Stirring, poke the chief bear, get a reponse .

On a serious note it's nice to hear that the preformance optimization of the new engine appears to be going well and hopefully we won't have to cripple our bank accounts with a huge computer upgrade.

I'm happy to know & hear from John, trusting everyone well, &, in fine shape.
    "It'll Be Here, When it's Here".
    I must admit, pawing back thru the thread, &, with latest news,
    appears someone not so much in the know, as, they may have thought / felt.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Just wondering what issues the OP is having with Steam which prevents him getting up and running with TS2021 or even TSW2 (which is getting something really magnificent with the Clinchfield route very soon).

Run 8 has given me a lot of fun recently but will temper that with the fact I just suddenly burned out on it. Maybe it's the constant desert scenery, we might have a 400 mile route to operate (I haven't added the Fresno line yet), but therein is the problem. With hindsight I would much rather have a collection of shorter more varied routes maybe even some outside the USA, to drive.

I was having considerable fun with the industry feature but suddenly it dawned on me this was really just an infinite "radiant" element with no real end or objective. Having to operate as both driver and signaller can be onerous at time and the game really (IMHO) feels the lack of an organised schedule/activity/scenario editor and autonomous despatcher so you can set up movements with specific destinations without having to micromanage the whole shebang. The multiplayer element has never been of real interest to me. No historic diesel locos (F7's or Alco's) and no steam traction either to add a bit of spice.

I don't want to come across as negative as at times I really like R8 and sure I'll be drawn back eventually, but for now I'm quite absorbed with TSW2 and have even dusted off TS20xx to revisit some of my favourite routes and traction.
    there is so much more than desert though
    Jason Webb
    HyRail Simulations
    https://www.hyrailsimulations.net

I've been thinking about Run8. There isn't a lot of information about how it plays. I mean is it like OpenRails with scenarios, or is it a list of trains available for a type of locomotive. TS2021 is on sale, but it would be well over $100 to get the routes and locomotives I want to enjoy it.

Can you make your own trains in Run8, or do any kind of scenario editing?

No scenarios. It is completely sandbox where you have the freedom to save, load, share, and continue your own worlds. These worlds can be single player or multi-player. Run8 is well known for it's MP but you can do quite a bit in single player as well. It has a random spawning system based on your own criteria as well as full AI control (following speed limits, stopping for signals). However there is no AI dispatching. That is something you or a dispatcher in MP will have to deal with.

You can save and load custom trains, or simply do what they do in real life and build them. There is an interactive industry system, along with industry tags to give operations that are random but to set parameters and demands. Some trains will also be created automatically based on the demands of those systems.

I would take a look at Run8 studio's website because it's $40.00 just for the base game. This gives you a starting set of rolling stock, as well as power in many class 1 liveries. But this is why I recommend starting with this first, or check on YouTube for Run8 videos to see what it's capable of doing.

By the sounds of it to be honest you'll be paying more than $100 to get multiple routes and extra locomotives and cars with Run8. The base territory for $40 is a big one however from Bakersfield BNSF & UP all the way to Needles, CA. This includes a working hump yard at Barstow, the famous loop of Tehachapi, and all the industries along the line including SJVR and their industrial parks and spurs.

Thanks

Sean

Hi there,
    I'm following this discussion with attention, because I'm considering buying Run8 licence.
    I was wondering if I'll better wait for V3 or buy V2 now, I think I've my answer now with no real ETA for V3.
    Do we know if V3 content will be compatible with V3 ? I'm asking because beginning from 0 now will cost some buckets and I dont want to buy full price content that won't be usable in future version....
    Thanks for feedback
    Bastien.

Quote Originally Posted by SCL-A-Line View Post
    there is so much more than desert though
    Yup there is even more desert.

Seriously though my favourite part is the San Bernadino Sub of all the west coast sections i own. Which has a lot of built up areas and double track running.
    Last edited by haverfordwest; 03-23-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    Yma O Hyd

DaveKfromUP, with the John G. update, Run8 is well worth the $40 and it sounds like there will be plenty of time with V2 to add rollingstock (every piece nicely modeled) and route additions without worry.

Quote Originally Posted by bghvip View Post
    Hi there,
    I'm following this discussion with attention, because I'm considering buying Run8 licence.
    I was wondering if I'll better wait for V3 or buy V2 now, I think I've my answer now with no real ETA for V3.
    Do we know if V3 content will be compatible with V3 ? I'm asking because beginning from 0 now will cost some buckets and I dont want to buy full price content that won't be usable in future version....
    Thanks for feedback
    Bastien.
    My recommendation in post #7 stands. The $40 is well worth the price and you'll have enough to keep you going for a while. I wouldn't rush into anything unless more details and a roadmap is made available closer to their V3 release. After that your going to get into lots of money if you check the prices and I don't recommend it at this time. The decision and risk is of course in your hands.

Thanks

Sean