Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Intermodal Trains

Default Building Intermodal Trains

Strange question but I thought I'd ask. Does anyone have any suggestions for building intermodal trains quickly? I've being trying to incorporate the ATW Ocean set into some of my routes but realized with the couplers being A-E-D-C-B, or A-C-B, its rather tedious to do it manually. I'm also trying to add randomization but running into an issue where the set must be A-E-D-C-B, or A-C-B

Some of the older hands around here may be able to help. I know from experience that many intermodal consists that come with activities are a mess..what with floating cars, mismatched couplers, etc. I do know that using the TSRE consist editor makes it A LOT easier to see the units and the proper connections, makes it easier to flip them and use different combinations so that everything looks kosher.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I use TSRE to do all my consist building. I have almost all the ATWell sets from the library here and TSRE lists them in the proper order so it makes it really easy to put the consists together and you can clearly see that you’re doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by spoony1999 View Post
    I use TSRE to do all my consist building. I have almost all the ATWell sets from the library here and TSRE lists them in the proper order so it makes it really easy to put the consists together and you can clearly see that you’re doing it right.
    Yup, that's true, once I realized Andre had a system going, it made it much easier.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Yes I have been using TSRE as well. I was wondering if anyone has tried adding intermodal cars randomly. I am running into an issue where if I select a number of cars and add them in randomly, they are out of A-E-D-C-B sequence. I have tried adding only the A cars randomly but then I have to go back and search for the matching E-D-C-B set. Getting this to work through random selection would add more realism to the consist.

I don't think random placement would work with intermodal units...go over to Goku's forum and suggest it.

http://www.onrails.eu/
    Cheers, Gerry

Well best for any articulated sets to stay accordingly with connections is use TSRE Consist editor an build Eng Sets starting with new .con file then selecting an placing the first car then put the connections correctly then save as Eng Set.

After you have made enough Eng Sets or use ATWell sets that come with Eng Sets (the con files included) with articulated intermodal sets empty or loaded with few clicks you can create your own random mind placing by inserting eng set of your choosing when building a consists. Search window with 1B or 1A for ATWells is a good generator for eng sets to appear click after next click. There many more ways now to random longer eng sets in one block to a train.

This sleepy video kinda shows it till further better :P https://youtu.be/4-Lrg_7rpw0

My suggestion for Goku is it would be nice to create the options for Eng Sets to have an inserting at random option to keep them in place as well as add Eng Sets in their own window where you can add at end beginning or between current selections of consists. Would be a good option as well for random or manual to insert existing con files as blocks to a new consists to make those PSR monster trains easier to build so adding 2 trains into one train in under a minute.

Saving the the cars as sets of 5 really does make things easier. I will also see if I can make a suggestion to Goku

Quote Originally Posted by csx8851 View Post
    Saving the the cars as sets of 5 really does make things easier. I will also see if I can make a suggestion to Goku
    Yes, it does...I had not used the "sets" function...that makes it easier to mix & match different sets. Nice!
    Cheers, Gerry

Also Union Pacific and BNSF carry different Domestic containers. UP usually has CSX Umax, EMP etc, While BNSF for now HAs J.B hunt and Schneider. Either Railroad will not carry the others Line of containers Usually. There are always exceptions though. So you if you want prototypical sets You cannot have JB hunt On a UP train or EMP on A BNSF Train.
    sparkplug