Thread: Combined signal scripts, any interest?

Default Combined signal scripts, any interest?

Hello all,

Sitting here today with nothing else to do. So I refreshed myself with combining signal scripts for 2 to 3 different signal sets. Successfully combined Travis Ebner's fantastic B&O signals to my B&O route to eventually replace the older signals to his newer models (Without having to strip the entire route). I plan to do this with his NW CPL's and more modern NS signals to use in my attempt of the NS Columbus District Portsmouth OH to Columbus OH which I expect to start later this year. My question is. Would there be any interest in combined signal Config and script files using his new signals? It would just be the Sigcfg and Sigscr files (Of course after contacting the developer of course).
    M. Payne

Any interest in reviewing current routes and adding callon capability to those scripts? This would greatly aid in developing timetables and enhance activity creation using ai traffic etc. in Open Rails.
    Regards,

Eric

B&O CPLs...the system I just can't escape. Sigh...

I don't think I ever upgraded that system to OR standards, mostly because I hated building it the first time (the marker lights are so difficult to make work I'm surprised they don't make in appearance in the Divine Comedy).

I haven't gotten round to N&Ws CPLs, either. No real reason for that, just haven't actually done it. Probably will be done soon, now that someone's mentioned it.

There was a bug in the modern NS system, I think, that made one aspect act up. I have new shapes for the CLS-20s anyway. Just let me know when on those.

If you want to combine them and have the know-how, go for it. As long as you don't try to sell it or pass it off as your own, I really don't care what you do with it.

As for Eric's question, probably not, sine they're someone else's scripts, and that brings the obvious legal questions. Not to mention that everyone writes scripts differently - it's a bit like reading in another language: you might follow it, but do you get all the nuances?

Originally for a couple of projects I wanted to exclude speed so it wouldn't show up in the track monitor forcing one to memorize the routes speed zones. But then I didn't want to mess anything up with the platform. I'll nix that idea on the files. However, I will say combining scripts are not as hard as one would think. I find it a viable option for gradual replacement of older signals. I really did not want to take all the signals out at once then go back and refer to the track diagrams again for placing newer ones. I may end up creating a tutorial for this particular task.

Although the B&O Route of mine would combine the B&O and C&O style signals, possibly the NW signals to an extent. As the route is mostly set in the late 80's prior to abandonment. It did cross the C&O once and went under it once as well as run on the C&O for a few miles hence the need to combine mainly.

Another idea would be to create entirely new and build it with modern standards. I could strip all except the track out and start again. to include the CPL's I mentioned not to mention the others. I really want to build my own buildings etc so I may do that option.

Thank you for the quick response and I would most certainly give credit where it needs to go to. A lot of work I realize goes into making these signals. Something I may dive further into.
    M. Payne

So it turns out I did start a B&O CPL system with OR features, but stopped work partway through. It could probably be refurbished to my modern method fairly quickly. The B&O system you have now is an extremely clunky system that will likely work in MSTS because I didn't really use that many OR features at that time.

I doubt I'll upgrade any shapes for PL/CPL shapes, mostly because they don't look terrible, and I don't have that much patience.

The plan right now is to start next week, since I'll be out of town this weekend, probably doing some recon for the long-dormant LTV project.

If you're looking for something you think I can help with, let me know