Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Updated Site

Might it be time to ditch the DLC and come over to OpenRails? Money has never been a concern with the ORTS community.

There's no shortage of free content, a fairly stable number of creators, it's crowdsourced development, and you can use tools like Blender which have huge bases of support outside the trainsim family....

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Might it be time to ditch the DLC and come over to OpenRails? Money has never been a concern with the ORTS community.

There's no shortage of free content, a fairly stable number of creators, it's crowdsourced development, and you can use tools like Blender which have huge bases of support outside the trainsim family....
    I'll look into that. Where do I start?
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

IwantyouDVm2.jpg

Come over to the Dark Side. We have content.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

" I found that If I commit to making something in Railworks, a user potential user that would want to enjoy my work will have to possibly buy more routes and locomotives."
    That's not entirely true. Minerman146 has created a masterpiece without using any payware and just a lot of kitbashing and creativity. His route is available on the Steam workshop and it's a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz456 View Post
    " I found that If I commit to making something in Railworks, a user potential user that would want to enjoy my work will have to possibly buy more routes and locomotives."
    That's not entirely true. Minerman146 has created a masterpiece without using any payware and just a lot of kitbashing and creativity. His route is available on the Steam workshop and it's a beauty.
    If I recall He was working on a Erie Lackawanna Route. I'll need to look into that.

I'm not saying that it can't be done. If you make everything from scratch you can do that, and I think that would actually be kind of fun to do. However by the time you (or someone with my knowledge of Railworks content creation) has finished the project, we would be looking at TS2045. I recall struggling for 3 weeks just to figure out how to make a simple loft! The solution was so simple that if someone was there to tell me the issue from the beginning, I could of saved weeks of frustration. Now think what that would be like to figure out all that knowledge that is needed to make a complete route with all it's rolling stock...that is what stops me from going down that path.

The same thing also happen again at RWA with Mr. Campbell and his telegraph poles. Where I struggle for over a week tying to understand his process in Blender which wasn't really explained very well for us beginners. His explanation made it far more difficult then it needed to be and when I finally did figure how simple it was I, got mad and lashed out which led to me being banning over there...I'm sure you remember that. I seems to be a rolling theme with a lot of the older content creation tutorials, very difficult to understand...or maybe it's just me. I seem to respond better to video tutorials. Besides Tony Nichols, nobody that I know of is making Railworks content creation videos.

My point being for all this is that I do like how Railworks looks and I like the platform that the game is based on, however I do have reservations about payware and the lack of updated information about content creation.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamond1964 View Post
    OpenRails.org has the downloads including the applications and a free starter route.

That opens up just about anything in the MSTS or ORTS library located here.

You'll find a few of us here who create content (routes, rolling stock) and can help get you started, but ElvasTower.com is where the ORTS development team hangs out, as well as some of the more serious content creators. In addition to Blender for creating usable models, there's a new route editor created by one of the community members (also open source, but not crowdsourced as far as development goes).

It might not be as good as some aspects of TS/RW, but being a developer myself, being open source mean that there's the potential for the game components to live on well past the original company's profit-driven commitments.

I've always been impressed by the editors and graphics on the RW/TS product, but could never get around being dependent on Steam. There's something borg-ish that I could never get past with having them control what I could do...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamond1964 View Post
    Hi Scott,

Join Elvas Tower and dive into this project - "City Point 1864". While Civil War railroading is not my niche - this is by far the most detailed and historically accurate railroad ever built for ORTS. Every detail is made to exacting standards and pushes the envelop in every direction illustrating what's possible with the sim. This includes all the models, the route, rolling stock, and textures.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...roads-of-1864/

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks for the info on ORTS and Elvas Tower. I am a member there, I was posting about one of my projects. But between all the switching back and forth between rail sims it never got very far.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by buzz456 View Post
    "
    Actually, your statement is not true. I looked into this route. In order for me to use this route I would need to buy two of the three recommended routes needed for scenery. At $19.99 per route, I wouldn't call this route "a masterpiece without using any payware".
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

For wacampbell who deleted his post...I guess when he found out I was banned from RWA. I still received the email notification.

You mentioned two routes that didn't need any payware.

Pennsylvania Steam
    G-TraX Maine Maritime Switching Route

I did download and try the Pennsylvania Steam route...anything "Pennsylvania" catches my attention. However, the ground textures were missing. I tried to look for the original route files but they are no longer available on Steam.

I will take a look at the second route all though it doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop