Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drone Footage Toronto, MAC Yard (Hump), and Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Default Drone Footage Toronto, MAC Yard (Hump), and Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Hello:

Toronto CN Day 1 (Mac Yard comes in at about 1:07 if I recall)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7WzJTbe2AE&t=5579s

Belleville CN VIA (1 CP) Day 2 to 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA3edzBWmcE&t=980s

Thanks

Sean

Fantastic footage Sean, having a drone gets us all closer to the action, and gives us a different perspective on the very interesting rail operations, thank you for sharing these vids with us all.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 03-19-2021 at 08:53 PM.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Appreciated Steve

I've never been much of a person to take pictures or videos of trains until I bought my drone. I wanted one years ago but they were pretty expensive back then. Getting closer to the operations I couldn't see from vantage points along the road was exactly the reason I got into this hobby.

Thanks

Sean

Worst case scenario your drone does drop ( for whatever reasons ) causes some sort of accident on the ground, perhaps injuries, or otherwise and then a stoppage of work, suspicious activity, they don't know what is going on, have to investigate, all the faldorall because somebody wants aerial pictures of the yard without asking or obtaining permissions. Actually this is nothing more than an aerial trespass.

Geeze Sean, reading all your posts I thought you had a head on your shoulders...now I'm wondering??? No matter how omniscient you think you are, you cannot possibly forsee everything that could arise from this act...if something went awry.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I have a 249g drone, the laws are different in Canada. I'm not over people and seldom cross a track let alone being over them. When your at a height the higher up you are the more of an angle you have to observe. Here is the link to what the law says in Canada https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/dro...fly-your-drone

The reason why 250g and over has stricter laws is because of the damage they can cause. In the United States the laws are a bit stricter, in Canada they just became stricter however for 250g and over.

If you want to debate this in a civil manner I'm happy to debate it with you. But please refrain from lecturing me on the head on my shoulders or I'll report the post and have the thread locked. Deal?

Thanks

Sean

Thank Goodness for Civil Air Patrol.
    I hope you've learned a valuable lesson Turd-Herder.

Anyways, both vids were a nice distraction from other happening around my "neck of the wood".
    Sure hope Al Rocker doesn't get wind of this reply. Copyrights, infringements, patents, list probably goes on.

Anyways, don't take the above too serious. A means to pass time.

Well coming from an actual former railroad employee, that is appreciated praise from you

So did they force you into retirement for waving at too many railfans Scott? If anything 9-11 has done is get everyone scared of their own shadows now. I can see a pretty decent view from Google Earth looking down at Mac as well, but the corporate big G is free to do whatever it wants. I know they like fading out faces to prevent privacy issues. Occasionally I've seen it done with signs as well. Railfans get views of what trains look like and post to you tube all the time.

I knew where my drone was at all times and had the logs to prove it. I avoided people, towers, and even parked cars. Anyways time to enjoy the rest of my vacation until I go back to work tomorrow.

Thanks for the support. Now that I look at it my signature looking at that ship could be dangerous to the marine life of the Welland Canal.

Sean

Honestly only concern I could possibly see / find with vid. Is some sick bonehead following vids, looking for locations to shoot up a train / business. Sadly, You can't save the world from itself. Your damned if ya do damned if ya don’t.

As to off limit areas, all the RRs have their own form of off limits / danger zone guess could call them. My last 2 RR, didn’t care for flyovers around hazmats, usually the 2-tone tanks were the most worrisome. Then again drones were either unheard of so to speak, or, most not able to afford anyways.
    In your case being at the angles you been maintaining not direct overhead anyways, the onboard camera may make things appear that way.
    With 911 the concern for worst case scenarios little more of a concern, but, then again, we used to worry each time we passed under a bridge/overpass, esp, if many 2-tones following us.. For a time mid-late 70 recall young & disgruntle employees during layoffs tossing cinderblocks off overpasses at us. Not so much these days, least not at the moment. But, are we to stop passing under, or removing the overpasses to avoid restricted air space if you will.

As to MAC location, that, being a larger collection area, may indeed wish to be very cautious when it comes to closeness.
    Honestly I believe if you, &, son were to approach personnel at one of the offices, & be patient, explain have interest in trains, RR, things at the time may not be too busy, both, may just garner a tour, perhaps even a ride, literature from time to time.

I say that as a kid my father took me down by our local station at the time & we stopped at the dinner by the trks where all the RR crews gathered at times, by the time got done shooting the breeze Dad had garnered me a cab ride all the way to the next state & back with night crew...lol. Sadly I was too scared to go, was only 6/7 yrs of age.

During my working days if someone stopped by, showed interest, looked to have the ability to honor safety foremost, not playing roll of know everything about every rivet of the RR. Found me / others offering to show around, ride from time to time, office visit, RR gifts / picture taking tours deeper into areas general public never sees. If was just too busy for the day, & visitor able to understand, not get mouthy, usually able to make arrangements for another day.

The ones who came by knew everything about everything, smart mouthed, just about always got turned away, some run off the property completely, even when plenty of time / less busy. Sometimes playing somewhat dumb / cool will get your foot in the doors.

By playing it cool & visiting a location from time to time, personnel get to know / recognize a regular, lowing of guard may take place as well. Never know with your son building an interest in RR, those of the RR remember, being respectful during visit, may open the doors one day to a first job. Just never know.

Hell I really didn't have interest in RR when I was pre / teen. I really wanted to be a truck driver. As luck would have it though. I happened to cut grass at the RRs front office with several other lawns of the street. One day asked if I knew anything about the RR.
    I didn't outside let them know I knew everything looked big & hvy. Next time I cut lawn they said had been watching me, being punctual, rain or shine, wasn't a smartass with anyone going in/out of the office. Even giving little extra in my work, by cleaning dog doo, & cig butts. Asked if I'd like to try a position in the backshops, lol I was very excited, but, had to check with Mom & Dad.

Aw hell I'm really going off in left field, down memory lane.

Anyways Sean, I don't believe you be doing any harm, for the camera looks to be further way from RR than the view may appear in vids.
    Again, only issue I con offer is some bonehead looking to do harm by following vids. That you can't help the brain dead.
    Last edited by SMRY; 03-21-2021 at 11:04 AM.

You can learn just as much from Google Earrh as you can a drone video... wouldn't worry too much about it. I keep mine from flying over the railroad ROW and have never had a problem. I won't take mine over water or private property either, not because of laws but because it's common sense. If it were to go down, I don't want to have to trespass to reclaim it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=eolesen;1982947]You can learn just as much from Google Earrh as you can a drone video... wouldn't worry too much about it. I keep mine from flying over the railroad ROW and have never had a problem. I won't take mine over water or private property either, not because of laws but because it's common sense. If it were to go down, I don't want to have to trespass to reclaim it./QUOTE]

I'm somewhat lost with the above.
    Can learn just as much from Google Earth, don't fly over RofW,, Water, Pvt Property, how does one get off the ground in the first place, outside own property?. Google Earth being just a good, what's the need / joy of drone use in the first place?, esp. if you do indeed venture outside own property with drone.

Now that mud season's upon us, about to dawn my hip-huggers. Sean, have you a pair of basic goulashes?.