Thread: Trouble with GM&O Northern Lines

Default Trouble with GM&O Northern Lines

Hello Guys:

I have tried to install a new route (actually an old one from the Library) GM&O Northern Lines v1.80 last night and have been having
    problems getting it to run.

I installed as instructed, X-Tracks, new Roads and Kosmos 1.01.

I set Kosmos for what I want (Summer, Clear) before running the Open Rails menu for an Explore trip in that environment.

Everytime I open OR, the program tries to load the route, no error messages, then it crashes and goes back to my Open Rails menu start box.

Can anyone please assist in getting this route to work. I have attacked the OR log from the last time I ran the program.

I am hoping something is salvageable and it's not a dud or imperfect route. I have opened the route in Goku's TSRE5 and the program loads it just fine, and I am able to scan around the route to various areas and things look fine on the terrain.

Any assistance would be helpful, Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Doug

Happiness is when the AI-trains appear where you want them to

Hi Doug,

The loader is taking too long to load and timing out.
    The route has an LOT of errors.

I had the same timeout problem with other routes and I downloaded the MG open rails from Carlo and turned off the watchdog timer.

http://www.interazioni-educative.it/Downloads/index.php

This enabled me to run larger routes on my 10 year old i7 930.
    Cheers
    Derek

Hi Doug,
    Although several warnings are displayed, this route installed and ran successfully in Open Rails Testing version and Open Rails MG version as well as MSTS. Route_Riter reports several errors.

I wonder if you missed running the installme.bat file? For this, you, obviously, need the route to be installed in an installation containing the default MSTS routes and files.

For use in OR, the textures for the signal lights need fixing!!

I'm assuming you're referring to v1.8 of the route, available from the library.

Cheers,
    Ged

This route is 95% track, signals and terrain only. Signals were installed prematurely without tracklaying loose ends tied up. GMONL incorporated the GMOSS route around Springfield, and when you got there, frames tanked. GMONL runs on MSTS largely because it lacked GMOSS-style scenery throughout.

Just one of those "big dreams/enormous mileage/early burnout/never a fighting chance" early routes. Lots of lonely lonely miles of track out there with nothing but terrain. The route's TDB is about 3x the size of Needles-Winslow.

Route covers all the Alton with the exception of the branches running Dwight-Streator-Washington and Mexico-Jeff City.

Default Trouble with GM&O Northern Lines

Derek: Thanks for your input on the route....sounds like a "junker" with problems unsolved if it wont run in Open Rails....which usually "cures everything"

Ged...not sure what Open Rails MG is??? Another version or modification to the standard Open Rails??? I gave up on MSTS, like most others did ages ago..see if I can gind the folder with my "dummy" install (for default routes, stock and "S & G") and see if it runs there. I did run the "Install" bat.......I'm not getting any errors of "missing" things as it loads the route and activity which I would if something was.

In the case you said GEEPSTER, I have to agree with you.....sounds like an early-burn out unfinished situation if it's only track and terrain. There are many other routes since that, as well as some of my favorite European ones, that are intense, yet well detailed, worth it and perform flawlessly in Open Rails, not to waste time on this one, since construction methods were "crude" back then.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by bootednancy; 03-31-2021 at 12:17 AM.
    Doug

Happiness is when the AI-trains appear where you want them to

The MG stands for Monogame, which I believe is a different (more modern) game engine from that used for Open Rails originally. It is said to be more 'future proof' and to give better performance. Carlo Santucci is the gentleman who has developed it.

From an end user standpoint the two versions should look and react in an identical fashion.
    onen hag oll!

Monogame is the new standard since XNA is no longer supported. The next stable version of ORTS should be on Monogame as well.

My framerates more than doubled on MG... much better experience.