Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watco purchases CN Lines in Wisconsin/Michigan/Ontario

Default Watco purchases CN Lines in Wisconsin/Michigan/Ontario

Watco is owner of the WSOR, but there's little physical connection between WSOR and the lines purchased, so not clear if these will be operated as islands by WSOR or another Watco operating subsidiary. Most of these lines were originally Soo, GBW, and WC.

https://www.trains.com/trn/watco-pur...tario-from-cn/

Not sure where the WSOR trackage right on the map are. Some of the legend is difficult to see as I barely noticed the section of dual track with CN. I've seen short lines here in Southern Ontario operate as islands and no trackage rights. I guess they don't need the network as much as the class 1's require.

From what I can see they are a private company that has securities. My theory for a moment was they weren't traded so not worried as much of making more profit than making a profit. Their overall properties are spread out all over the country.

Thanks

Sean

Yep, the map isn't very clear on that.

Mosinee to Wausau is the joint track.

WSOR trackage rights that I'm aware of are between Janesville and Chicago. WSOR controls the line Janesville east to Fox Lake (the blue squiggly line is the Fox River which is essentially the demark), and then Metra owns the line to Rondout, where it's CP the remainder of the way on the Chicago & Milwaukee Sub.

There's a clearer trackage rights map at https://www.watco.com/service/rail/wsor/
    Last edited by eolesen; 04-02-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Watco is a shortline holding company with a very good reputation for growing business.

Word is that the Musining line will be run by Grand Elk, which is set up in lower MI running Grand Rapids to Elkhart. Presumably less paperwork since they're already based in Michigan.

The upper Wisconsin lines will be a new subsidiary - Fox Valley & Lake Superior.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I think we were up at Sault Ste Marie 2 summers ago so it will be interesting to see the new operation the next time we head that way (probably not until 2022 as I have my plans pretty much set for this year now).

The CN line north of Sault Ste Marie, ON was originally Algoma Central which still runs a passenger excursion that is popular here in Canada and attracts plenty of tourists from other countries including the United States.

Thanks

Sean

Yep. The info on the Michigan and Wisconsin operations comes from a STB filing, but that obviously wouldn't apply for Canada. No word if there will be a third operating subsidiary for the Ontario operations. They have some switching operations in SK but their preference seems to be setting up a subsidiary in each state/province served so perhaps that's what they'll do for the Algoma.

I know it's probably a Google question away but do they have their own power or different schemes for each subsidiary?

Thanks

Sean

Lost the contract in Maine, at the paper mills, so I guess this is Watco's next adventure.. Shall be interesting how this plays out I suppose.

Watco is a great company to work with and for, so this isn't meant as a slander towards their operations..
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

They left the WSOR livery alone, but others lines have a basic black and yellow livery plus perhaps a logo for the local road. Not sure what they've done with other roads they've acquired versus those they started up.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk