Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get Microsoft Train Sim to start up after install

Hi All,
    This is a Microsoft Train Simulator Forum!

It was the OP's very first post on this site and I wouldn't be surprised if he's totally confused by the 'advice' given.
    I agree, Open Rails is the way to go, but his problem was with starting MSTS.

@OSUbuckeye638 : A rather belated welcome to the Forum
    If you've not followed the Steam4Me tutorial to set up MSTS, you may have installed it into its default location (C:\Program Files (x86)...). If so, I suggest you uninstall it and follow the tutorial here : https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...g_msts_w7.html Although titled for Win 7, it applies equally to Win 10.
    Be sure to follow the whole tutorial, including installing the update. When installed, set launcher.exe and train.exe to "Run this program as an administrator" from their respective Properties > Compatibility screens.

Please come back if you're still having problems, giving as much detail as you can.

If you've decided to go with Open Rails, that's fine, but note that many freeware routes require files from a default MSTS installation, although it doesn't need to be in a working state.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi All,
    This is a Microsoft Train Simulator Forum!

It was the OP's very first post on this site and I wouldn't be surprised if he's totally confused by the 'advice' given.
    I agree, Open Rails is the way to go, but his problem was with starting MSTS.

@OSUbuckeye638 : A rather belated welcome to the Forum
    If you've not followed the Steam4Me tutorial to set up MSTS, you may have installed it into its default location (C:\Program Files (x86)...). If so, I suggest you uninstall it and follow the tutorial here : https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...g_msts_w7.html Although titled for Win 7, it applies equally to Win 10.
    Be sure to follow the whole tutorial, including installing the update. When installed, set launcher.exe and train.exe to "Run this program as an administrator" from their respective Properties > Compatibility screens.

Please come back if you're still having problems, giving as much detail as you can.

If you've decided to go with Open Rails, that's fine, but note that many freeware routes require files from a default MSTS installation, although it doesn't need to be in a working state.

Cheers,
    Ged
    The voice of reason....
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Quote Originally Posted by niknak View Post
    The voice of reason....
    gotta admit it...when you're right...you are right ( Ged to the rescue )
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi All,

I suppose one could also recommend the tutorial written for Windows 10 ............
    (https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...sts_win10.html)

Yuri.
    Yuri, Former Charter Member
    Webmaster, The steam4me site MSTS Tutorials & AU Add-Ons
    https://msts.steam4me.net

Hi Yuri,
    Many apologies, sir
    I didn't know there was such a page! Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks, also, for the updated "Using MSTS with Widescreen Monitors" tutorial.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 04-16-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Great stuff Yuri,

Thanks

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)