Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get Microsoft Train Sim to start up after install

Default Can't get Microsoft Train Sim to start up after install

I installed Microsoft Train Sim. on my Dell 64 bit with windows 10, But no what I try, it willn't start up? I've tried compatibilty & run as admin. did nothing to help get it to open or start ?? I'm just about out of ideas. So I thought I'd see if any one has had this problem & found a way of getting it to run. Just about ready to un-install it !! :-( My Dell is using Nvidia drivers GeForce GT 730.. Have any ideas that mite Help me?

The only advice you will probably get here, is switch to Open Rails. Which, TBH, is probably quite sound, so long as MSTS is actually present if you want to have classic content installed and runnable, from OR...
    Vern.

This is just a recommendation.
    Leave your MSTS alone. Just leave it where it is. It'll come in handy later.
    Don't know what drives you have or how many but, pick the fastest drive you have with plenty of space and make a folder there. Name it whatever you want, mine is h:/01_msts full install. Try to put it in the root of the drive.
    Go to your MSTS install and copy

GLOBAL
    SOUND
    ROUTES
    TRAINS

and put them in the folder you just created above.
    Now, go here http://www.interazioni-educative.it/Downloads/index.php and download the correct version for your OS.
    Create another folder somewhere, like you did above.
    Do not mix it with your content in the folder you created for your trains and stuff. It needs it's own folder, Doesn't need to be in the root, but keep it easy to find.
    Unzip the OpenRails program you just downloaded and put it in this folder.
    Send a couple shortcuts to your desktop and you're ready to go.

You can use the registry entries from the MSTS "install" to make life easier if you want to use some of the legacy MSTS utilities in the future.
    You will also have everything you need to install older routes that may need any of the default content.
    You will also want to make sure you install any new content to the MSTS folder you created above. Some of it will default to the MSTS "install" location, whether it exists or not.

DO NOT put any of this stuff in any folder controlled by Windows.

You might begin by reviewing the topics in the "Help & Assistance" forum on this site, in particular the thread on "Installing MSTS on Win7 with 32 or 64 Bit OS" (this topic also applies to Win 10) and the thread on "Video Card Compatibility".

Once you manage to get the basic MSTS install running by using those threads as a starting point, take a look at the Help threads concerning "MSTS Bin", "Official SD40-2 Content Update & 1.x Update", etc and you should hopefully be on your way.

As has been mentioned, Open Rails is a viable alternative should you decide not to battle with getting the ~20 year old MSTS application to run on a newer operating system.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    Now, go here http://www.interazioni-educative.it/Downloads/index.php and download the correct version for your OS.

Just a suggestion:

There is a time to savor the improvements of MG, but Day One for any potential new user being sent to a cryptic-looking website with download links and nothing else in terms of assuring explanations is not that time. Direct them to the welcoming front door, please, not the adrenaline hatch in the attic. They will get to MG level eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    ...Direct them to the welcoming front door, please, not the adrenaline hatch in the attic. They will get to MG level eventually.
    geepster, thanks, the bold underlined really got me laughing! Good, sound, practical advice for someone just starting out.
    rofl1.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

What geepster said. I suggest downloading the stable version to start with which you can get here:

http://openrails.org/download/program/

or here (along with the BNSF Scenic Sub a great route to play with as a starter route)

https://www.trainsimulations.net/starter

Once you have this under your belt you can upgrade to the Monogame version etc.

Jon

What's wrong with OR monogame?
    It's the only one I use.
    I've never had issues with it and ReShade is killer.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    What's wrong with OR monogame?
    It's the only one I use.
    I've never had issues with it and ReShade is killer.
    Your advice was good...
    Nothing is wrong with using Monogame, and maybe perhaps the OP is up to navigating through the learning curve first time out with OR...but none of us can know that for sure.

Better choice, more chance of success, is the advice geepster gave...and now also jonpd. Try downloading the stable version, free BNSF Scenic ( which has option of installing OR with any other dependencies that are required ). Get the kinks ironed out, then give MG a whirl with ReShade ( which I agree with you...is killer ).

...but some folks do like diving in the deep end and thrashing around for a while.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

What thrashing?
    Seriously, ORMG and OR behave exactly the same. Don't they?
    What hoops do you have to work around to use ORMG?
    The stable version along w/the BNSF Scenic seems to cause way more problems, just check the posts about missing textures after installing it.
    ORMG along with ReShade is the only way to go.
    IMHO