Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ontario Northland

non the less on "Fathers Day", enjoying the looks of that shay,, a luxury edition colors & having enclosed cab, my poor old shays over in the General Discussions "Rolling Line" be both NG & Open to the wind, are bottom of the totem pole versions. My RR couldn't afford those other high-end models.

No, the Shay was standard gauge, and Ontario Northland never owned any narrow gauge track or equipment that I've ever heard.

The is the Shay after it was retired, still sits in a park in Iroquois Falls.

Paul :-)

the ONT diesels during my temp manpower days were surely standard gauge.. though, seems I recall the unit(s) we used during that time were pretty much 1 single color yellowish-orange tone allover with dark spaghetti noodles we used to call them along the LH. Don't recall being multi colored of much later years. Been a long time, could be way out in left field with recollection.
    Last edited by SMRY; 06-20-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Abitibi Power and Paper was always standard gauge. They bought this Shay in 1947. They bought their first S4 in 1954, and kept the Shay as a back up engine until they bought the one and only Ontario Northland S-4 1203 in 1973 and retired the Shay. Later, Abitibi bought ex-Ontario Northland RS-3 1310.

According to my 1980 Canadian Trackside Guide, the Shay was S/N 3298, born in Feb 1926, and but on display in 1979. Abitibi bought it from Andrew Marrilees (dealer) and it was ex Standard Chemical, exx-Dominion Construction, exxx-Alcoa power, nee Tallassee Power.

There were a few Railways in Ontario that "Started Out" as either Broad Gauge or Narrow Gauge.

Here is an excellent article that hits on the main points of both:
    Charles Cooper's Railway Pages - Railway Gauges in Ontario

Just running Train 49 west towards Timmins to check out the next area that I've been working on.

Nice early morning shot of 49 rounding the curve on the wye in Porquis Junction.

49 passes Train 312 in the hole at MacIntosh Springs along the shore of Fredrick House Lake.

I've finished adding scenery from MP 87 to MP 99 on the Ramore Sub.

ONR 1403 leads Train 415 through Kilburn at 0510.

Train 415 parallels Highway 101 through McIntosh Springs.

Travelling along the shores of Fredrick House Lake.

Crossing a small bridge at Barber's Bay in the early morning.

415 passes the Connaught station at 0523 heading to Timmins.

Crossing the plate girder bridge over the Fredrick House River just west of the Connaught station.

Everyone needs a "Heritage Unit", had to stop route building long enough to do my engine.

Ontario Northloand 701 is a Pacific built in 1921 by Kingston Locomotive Works fifty miles away from me. 701 was the last steam engine on a regular run on Kune 25, 1957, The engine is preserved and on display at Englehart Ontario.

BEE-U-tifull! Just ran the Conn River using the activity template...this one looks like you're going all out on it. Wonderful work, Paul

(the environmental problem that you posted sounded like a knotty one --- happy you figured it out. )
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thanks Gerry, still having fun with the ONR.

You know, the snow problem I had was an easy fix, but if you've never had the problem before it takes a while to figure out the cause!