Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ontario Northland

Hi Phil,

Yes, I think he would have bought the old house if it had been for sale at the time! He had over 10,000 hours and was moving to North Bay to get trained to become a bush pilot and three days before they moved he was in a serious car accident and ended up with a broken neck and closed head injury and there went his pilot's license. Still flies but will never hold a license again.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Wow, did I drift off the topic of screen shots!
    Anywho, very sorry to hear about your brother! Bush flying is one of those things I would have liked doing but never did.
    10,000 hours is a lot of flight time for sure.
    My older brother tried flight training but only went as far as solo then gave it up. My Dad had his private certificate but was a carpenter by profession. He always wanted to fly for a living. I can't believe how fast my 40 years went. It doesn't seem possible but my log books don't lie! I was lucky in that I got to do as an adult what I wanted to do from a very early age. Sky King, Captain Midnight amongst others...YEAH! Some of my favorite shows when I was a kid in the 50's.

Phil

Me, it was Emergency!, became a firefighter. Stalled a glider six feet off the ground and broke my neck before I was 16. That about did it for me and flying, turned into degenerative disc disease twenty odd years ago.

Paul :-)

Yeah! I remember Emergency! Great show. Still on here in reruns.
    Sorry to hear about your stall incident and at 16 too!
    I started flying at 15, soloed at 16, Private at 17. No flying during 4 yrs of college and 2 yrs of Army (drafted!)
    Used my GI bill for Commercial, Instrument, Multiengine, CFI Airplane, CFI Instrument, and CFI Multiengine. Employers got me my Airline Transport Pilot Certificate and 4 jet type ratings. I was a busy guy!
    You can still fly some ultralight planes I believe with no license required. You should look into it!

Phil

Congratulations Phil, you did well with the GI Bill.

I don't think flying is for me. I have days that I can just turn my head the wrong way and think I'm about to drop. Doing that at a thousand feet probably isn't the best idea!

Wow! I totally understand your situation there Paul!
    Wish things had turned out better for you healthwise.
    I have some days which I think they're called "having a senior moment".
    As long as I only have them once in a while, I'll be happy I guess.
    Ah...the joys of getting older!

Phil

I have a parting gift from my firefighting days. I'm getting more and more days that I think 'today's the day'... then it turns out to just be my neck.

I hear ya Paul!
    Firefighting has to be one of the most strenuous and stressful careers there is.
    By the by...any plans for any other routes in the future?
    Your ONR would be difficult to top.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Chemical exposure for me.

To be honest I'm not sure how much of a future I have. The ONR took 14 months to complete. I just started an ONR Northern to run an activity or two with the Pacific I made earlier, but I haven't thought of anything after that of then a couple of activities for the FJ&Gv2. Usually when I'm about to complete a route I've already started gathering information for (and sometimes actually have started) the next one... haven't this time.

Paul,

Very understandable. You've produced more quality routes than many other route builders combined!
    People will be running your creations for many years to come...quite a legacy!

Phil