Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Comet Lines extension

Yes, I am building west from Easton. I was thinking that I ought to take some more screen shots. After I get to Bethlehem, I need to do West Trenton and then merge those with the existing route, add interactive objects, create and test activities, and submit it for beta testing. I hope I'll get all that done this year, though we are planning to move next month and later in the year plan to spend a few weeks in the Philippines, my wife's native country.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Incredible Steve. This is going to be a great addition to the original Blue Comet Lines Route. Hauling those long coal drags from Ashley, PA to the Jersey City waterfront. Now all those CNJ F3's made by BLW/ZT, DTrains & the ones in the file library here will have a proper line to run on. Finding a CNJ F3 south of Barber was as rare as finding a diamond in a box of Cracker Jacks.

BTW, I never got to thank you for releasing the set of Generic CNJ stations, one & two story shops, brick & asphalt platforms & simple stairways. The stations are just what I need for the stations on the rest of the Seashore Branch. They are perfect for stations between Highlands Beach to N. Long Branch. Plus fit in for a few replacements on the NY&LB. The shops I re-signed & textured a few sets of them. I will release these if community members here could use them for their routes or enhancing any routes for their use. The platforms & stairs have really been quite handy too. In the era of the update I am doing, I just had to add grass & weeds (In some cases A LOT of grass & weeds) growing through the cracks.

I see we are getting a Newark Branch too. That is great because I can see passenger activities between Broad St. station to the Seashore Branch at rush hour in the future.

But to this day when I think of the CNJ's Newark Branch & Brills Yard. I can only think of three things. And they are "Purity", "Body" & "Flavor". I think you know what I mean by that.
    - Mark -

Steve,

I'm glad to hear things are still moving forward. I will be looking for those screenshots.

Mark, I hope you can find a way to fit this into your own project?

This is going to be on the same level as the PRR East or LIRR route.

Robert

Were purity, body, and flavor the attributes of Pabst Blue Ribbon? I remember an electric sign for Pabst but I was just a kid.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA

Default 9 more screen shots

On my website at http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/bc_msts_pix.html, I added 9 more screen shots of route construction progress.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA

Steve,

The route is coming along very nicely.

I'm looking forward to this update when it comes out.

Robert

This will become the ultimate go-to route for CNJ fans for sure. We've got some mammoth northeastern routes, and it's always a pleasure to see another one in the works.

All we need is a 1930's era CNJ set from some payware vendor.
    "After you’ve done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over." - Alfred E. Perlman

As a Jersey guy growing up along the cnj this will be my goto route. One thought however, the area around Bayonne 8 th street station was never that green, always remember it as grey and dirty with a few weeds clinging to life.

I'll try to remember to change Bayonne to gray and dirty. :-)
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA

Quote Originally Posted by necrails View Post
    As a Jersey guy growing up along the cnj this will be my goto route. One thought however, the area around Bayonne 8 th street station was never that green, always remember it as grey and dirty with a few weeds clinging to life.
    Actually, you have to remember to of this area of Bayonne. This is 1929 for this version of The Blue Comet Route. A close family friend had a small tomato farm a few blocks from the 8th St. station on Avenue A. Grew some of the best San Manzano tomatoes I was told even with industry so close.

The real big changes to the area came in the late 1930's into WWII & after he told me. He said by 1949 the sights, sounds & smells totally changed from when he was a kid in the 1920's. So, I don't think a greener texture in that area of Bayonne is too far off. I can see Constable Hook section being grittier & the south end of Bergen Point because of Standard Oil & the other oil companies there in the 1920's.

The version of Steve's Blue Comet Route I am doing for release is the 1965 - 1980 era so yes, this area is a lot grittier. Based a lot on the final 5-1/2 years on the CNJ, NY&LB & P-RSL. So this area & a lot along the CNJ mainline in Jersey City will look that way. Even downright depressing in some areas. And for the smells? The end-user will have to provide.
    - Mark -