Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physics/Dynamics - Total Rubbish.

Default Physics/Dynamics - Total Rubbish.

Seriously, the physics/dynamics of this game are garbage. They bear little resemblance to reality and are the worst I've come across outside of the original, vanilla, MSTS.
    Sims such as Open Rails, Run 8 and even Train Master 4 - yes, a game over 20 years old! - put TSW (and TS20XX) in the shade.

I have already moaned about the anomalies relating to grade vs power setting and today it just became so irritating that I opted out of the Scenario without even saving it.

Taking a manifest freight from Dante to Elkhorn.
    Three SD-40's on the point.
    Descending a grade which varies between 0.3 and 0.2 percent. In other words, very slight and one that would need little, if any, throttle application and just a smidgen of dynamic braking and/or train brakes.
    At no time did the grade ever rise. It never even became 0.0% but was always downhill.

Yet there I was, at one point, with zero brakes applied, and the train speed dropped from a constant 14 mph (15 mph limit) to less than 10 mph.

So, on a downhill grade, I had to apply 2 notches of throttle to get back to 14/15 mph.

Total rubbish.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

The physics vary between traction types... I noted the SD40’s are a bit sticky but the F7’s are the opposite. I had to use dynamics on a falling 0.1% grade, which is next to nothing.

It has been fun but maybe DTG should stick to UK and German commuter routes, leave the heavy haul to Run 8 where you also don’t have to worry that one misplaced step will bork the job, as seems to be happening with all the scripted loading scenarios.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    The physics vary between traction types... I noted the SD40’s are a bit sticky but the F7’s are the opposite. I had to use dynamics on a falling 0.1% grade, which is next to nothing.

It has been fun but maybe DTG should stick to UK and German commuter routes, leave the heavy haul to Run 8 where you also don’t have to worry that one misplaced step will bork the job, as seems to be happening with all the scripted loading scenarios.
    Yeah...it's all over the place, Vern.
    Maybe DTG should stick to their own backyard, as you suggest.

As a matter of interest, this afternoon I ran TM4, the Potash line, empty train in.
    Then I ran the laden train out.
    Ignoring the graphics, the sensation of handling each train is still impressive, after all these years.

So I am interested in buying the TSW2 route when it is released and comparing the two, because that will put either the stamp of approval or the kiss of death on the DTG product.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

When DTG sticks to their own back yard, they are still clueless.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Does TSW2 differentiate between empty and loaded cars as far as train handling goes?

The only defense of their physics engine I can think of is that rolling resistance due to curvature was slowing you down. Even if that were the case (and such a phenomenon were modeled), it seems a bit extreme to require two notches of throttle to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by SlackAction View Post
    Does TSW2 differentiate between empty and loaded cars as far as train handling goes?...
    That, I do not know. I don't think anyone outside of DTG knows what calculations they have used for the determination of the physics of the rolling stock and locomotives.

Whatever they have come up with is quite odd.

I think there is a difference as when I was taking the cars through the loader at Blue Diamond, before the scenario bombed out, I needed progressively more power to get back up to the ~ 3 MPH for loading.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I think there is a difference as when I was taking the cars through the loader at Blue Diamond, before the scenario bombed out, I needed progressively more power to get back up to the ~ 3 MPH for loading.
    Aaah! Okay....there you go.
    I hadn't realised that.

It makes a difference but whether realistic or not, that's another matter!
    Vern.

Yes with tsw2 they now (after 4years) have loaded and unloaded cars, they actually show you tonnage and there is a difference in handling-
    tsw2 has improved in this area from earlier iterations, it feels better but is still not on a par with run8, which is my only way to compare as I'm not a engineer irl. In run8 it really feels like your pulling or getting pushed for that matter, you feel and hear the slack run in and out.
    I did a loaded coal run in tsw2 on the New crr route from dante to elkhorn and if I wasn't on the dynos during the first tunnel it would have been a runaway. during the climb to the tunnel I was struggling to maintain 17mph and then when the grade changed I was in idle and the train was @ 30+ by the time it took me to set the dynos, for me it was pretty good but it seems that the loaded/empty physics still need to be dialed in for the different consists.
    that said don't bother using a sd40-2 or the gp38-2 on SPG or CRR as the dynos no longer function since the last patch. I found this out the hard way- It is So frustrating that after 4 years there are still game br8kr bugs some of which haven't been addressed since the beginning. The newly released sd40 takes a while to actually charge the break pipe with a consist on it, I was pleasantly surprised but you wouldn't know the pipe was charging by sitting in the cab and watching that big airflow meter in front of your face as it doesn't work, so your stuck having to rely on the very intrusive HUD. its the way of DTG one step forward, two steps back
    DTG calls it -"The proprietary SimuGraph® vehicle dynamics engine" but its actually built on the "unreal engine" so what do you expect?