Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TRS19-SP3 Released - allows custom physics with TNI

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    What's this Surveyor 2 Vern please ?
    Mike.
    See first post here:
    https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...ficial-Release

From that post:
    We'll be making some detailed announcements in the coming weeks about the path to "Surveyor 2.0" but for now, we'll just let you know that Surveyor is getting a total makeover and you're going to be excited to see the improvements!

I just tried loading a small "Proto Model" style route in SP3 and the fans are screaming like a banshee. Same route in TANE SP4, no stress on the hardware. Looks like SP3 might have broken something in the optimisation department.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    See first post here:
    https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...ficial-Release

From that post:
    Thanks 1611 mac. No i idea how someone can presume that an end user will be excited about new Surveyor 2. Just because they are (Tony).

Been using Trainz since 2001, as has Vern i believe. Too many false dawns and broken promises for me to get excited about anything. That N3V has any involvement with.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    The problem is though, again IMHO, they try to change too much within each version of the game....
    That is the main reason that I gave up on it.....and I was there back at the creation of the product and then followed it through as far as TANE.
    Although I have v2019 installed, I rarely used it and haven't been near it for months.

There is no stability with Trainz: no sooner is one version released than another appears imminent, or a Service Pack is in the offing.
    I came to detest that term, "service pack", knowing that yet another change was going to occur and, like the frog getting out of the well, it would be two steps up and then one step back. Some things would be fixed yet new problems would appear.

I'm also fed-up with games developers - and N3V is uppermost in this pile - using the buying public as their testers.
    The attitude is "let's push this out the door and we'll fix any problems as they are raised in the forum".
    Every games dev has adopted that philosophy and it stinks, because the person who buys a game yet has no interest in joining the game-specific forum (or maybe doesn't even realise that there is one until he/she Googles the game title), is immediately at a disadvantage.

There is really no excuse for the approach that games developers use these days.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Very true Bruce and in the case of N3V you actually get to pay for their premium product if you want the honour of being a beta test.

The new MS Flight Sim is just as bad, I’ve pretty much given up using it despite my £60 investment. Bugs are still present which were there at the outset, the developer has a penchant for pushing out updates which tinker round the edges and introduce new bugs or resurrect old ones. The developers come across as arrogant and as with the train sims are protected by a cadre of fanboys on the forums who put down even justified criticism (my participation at Avsim has also dropped to virtually nothing).
    Vern.

What a mis-characterization. I'm on the Trainz forums every day and you are so off base. If you don't like the Trainz franchise that's fine. You have every right. In fact, I support your right to reject it. But to suggest that users are 11 year olds running Thomas??? That's funny.
    To repeat a old SNL quote. "If it not Scotish, IT'S CRAP!" That's Trainz in a nutshell.

Hello,
    I have Trainz Plus so I get beta releases and I read the beta forum daily. SP3 is fine. Most complaints are from people who don't know what they are doing and/or don't maintain their assets. Since most assets are user/3rd party creations you must keep the asset db up to date, clean, and repaired. With every beta and official release a db update should be run, but seldom do users do that. I have no issues with my installs other than known, documented, issues. People have no understanding how to maintain a "clean" TRS-19 install. I can't remember the the last time I had a crash, or similar problem. Don't get me wrong. N3V has lot's of room to improve in many areas. Documention, communication, etc etc. They make too many versions (people don't even realize which version they have) and they have "buy" and "subscription" available. It's very confusing if you are an "average" user. But there is nothing wrong with SP3 release.
    If spending you time continuously updating and repairing assets is OK with you, more power to you. And if tracking down missing KIUDs doesn't PO you, again more power to you. Add that getting online is less than 50% successful, and always having to wait till the next century for the update to finish every time you log on. All the reasons I just said no to Trainz.

Quote Originally Posted by MSTS lifer View Post
    If spending you time continuously updating and repairing assets is OK with you, more power to you. And if tracking down missing KIUDs doesn't PO you, again more power to you. Add that getting online is less than 50% successful, and always having to wait till the next century for the update to finish every time you log on. All the reasons I just said no to Trainz.
    I just don't have these issues. I spend very little time updating assets. In the case of missing Kuids, I'm on Gold and having downloaded every payware route there is I have few missing Kuids. Those I do have and can't easily find i just ignore. They are almost always a building or character or tree. Nothing that "breaks" the route. They not missed at all. Why worry about a few missing items? If there are lot's of missing kuids I just delete the routes. With so many freeware items available why worry about a few you can't find or routes that take time. With the freeware, I prefer obtaining routes where the author knows what he/she is doing and avoids problem kuids or provides information on where/how to get them. The creators of the better freeware routes create support threads on the forums. Those are usually the better routes anyway and the ones I tend to focus on.

Not sure by what you mean about getting online 50% of the time. I never have an issue. I've had TRS19 for 2.5 years and I've never not been able to get "online" so you may have to explain that one a bit more. Sometimes it doess take 30 seconds to a minute to connect to download a route. But again, I don't consider waiting a minute a big deal.

As for "Wating till next century for update to finish?" Again, everything works fine here. Updates and downloads and etc are what I'd consider "normal" for such thingsl

Could the differences we see be in hardware or internet connection speed? My system is quite average. My internet likely a bit faster than most as I do websites and such work for a living so good internet is a must for me.

Sorry you have such a bad experience. I simply don't experience the things you mention. I'm on plus/Gold and I get a new beta update about every two to three weeks. Updates take a minute or two and there may be a few assets to update. But that is normal even when downloading a route. Since assets are largely made by the community and not N3V I simply expect some changes and problems.

One thing I do different than most I think: About once every 6 months (or on major update release like SP2 to SP3) I download the latest install from my account and I do a complete new install then point it to my data folder. (Even though I'm running OK on patched versions.) I think N3V patches cause issues for a lot of people so I often do fresh installs. I typically have 2-3 installs. Right now I have SP2, SP3, and two beta installs.

Perhaps craziness doesn't bother me as I have some hardware and software background and I love "tinkering" too. I don't know. But I honestly don't have all the issues others do.

Or, perhaps I'm lucky because I'm so new to all this. I've had TRS-19 for 2.5 years and I just recently purchased Run8, TSW2 and TS2021. I'm looking forward to learning more about them.

.........About once every 6 months (or on major update release like SP2 to SP3) I download the latest install from my account and I do a complete new install then point it to my data folder. (Even though I'm running OK on patched versions.) I think N3V patches cause issues for a lot of people so I often do fresh installs.......

...... I have some hardware and software background and I love "tinkering" too.
    And there are the differences between your approach and that of many, many others; you don't mind the stuffing about because you look at it (tinkering and umpteen installs) as an extension of your work. You have the knowledge to be comfortable with it.

We don't necessarily subscribe to that because we just want the bloody game to work from the outset and to not have to bugger about with it for eternity.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

We don't necessarily subscribe to that because we just want the bloody game to work from the outset and to not have to bugger about with it for eternity.
    Well, yes. But my main point was that all the issues/problems are very minimal in my case. I simply don't see all the issues others do. But I fully get your point and I can appreciate that.