Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TRS19-SP3 Released - allows custom physics with TNI

You want issues, i have been a Trainz beta tester since TRS2004 (username in the paper manual).

But because it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back with N3V. The last 9 months or so i haven't bothered testing anything.

If i installed TRS19 today, i can guarantee the issues that were there 2 years ago would still be there.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    Well, yes. But my main point was that all the issues/problems are very minimal in my case. I simply don't see all the issues others do. But I fully get your point and I can appreciate that.
    I'm not making fun or picking on you. Only 21 posts. Your either new to the forum scene, the simulator scene, or both,. You'll find out real quick that you have much to learn young Jedi.

Educate me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    Educate me.
    Well, you said
    I just recently purchased Run 8, TSW2 and TS2021.
    Each of those titles is as different from the other as chalk is to cheese and if you enjoy "tweaking" Trainz, then forget about tweaking anything in the first two.

Run 8 is a closed box when it comes to editing; there is nothing that can be tweaked. Other than controlling your train, you are limited to assembling consists, populating "worlds", delivering freight and despatching.
    There is no world editor....nothing that is the equivalent of Trainz Surveyor.

A similar situation exists with TSW2....even more restrictive in several aspects. You cannot assemble trains other than the very limited selection that is provided. Negligible flexibility there.
    Your operations are limited to what DTG has provided.
    No despatching.
    No world editing.

TS2021 does provide a world builder.....similar in many respects to Trainz Surveyor.
    Out of the three you will find more "tweakability" with this program.

Good luck!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I don't see where he said he enjoyed tweaking, but said he had little issues. My 12 year old runs 2019 and doesn't have issues. Again everyone runs things differently. You pay for what you get, and there isn't much choice in that list provided of pleasing everyone unfortunately. I personally had little to no issues with 2019 and I don't recall having to tweak anything. I believe I heard something about doing a database rebuild on every update. But again I don't use Trainz any more. I'll pass that advice on to my son when he becomes a grumpy old man

As for the 2 steps forward 1 step back, if that worked for my coding adventures perhaps people would have another alternative to choose from by now. Personally I'm on the record of saying 10 steps forward 9 steps back, but that is just how it feels. Moving forward regardless is better than moving backwards.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    I don't see where he said he enjoyed tweaking,.....
    Tweaking, tinkering.....much of a muchness.

Post #18
    ......and I love "tinkering" too.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

OK I was searching for it in the last message, so I missed that.

I can't speaker for the new guy, but I'll use an example for myself. I'm capable of tinkering as well. Run8 V2 can still be tinkered with at least from an RTS standpoint as it's the only files that remain open. RTS was a tremendous accomplishment for me before V2 came along. Once V2 came I decided what they had in the box was not worth the limited gain I might get from tinkering further.

In general I'd love to just run a simulator that does what I want, but there isn't one out there. What I bring to the table will LOSE plenty of features other sims have that I love. But the things I value the most will be developed.

As far as Trainz goes I haven't had issues, but again people run things differently. I know some assets only work on certain versions etc. That is the issue of backwards compatibility. We want to see it in anything we buy in a new version, and we want to see changes worthy of a new purchase etc. The problem is it's very difficult to please everyone, expand features, and make everything backwards compatible. Especially when Trainz is full of so many assets and routes created by the public.

I don't want to go over everything I said in my post on general, but we are in a niche market. I'm sure there are examples out there where games or simulators have achieved it in other genres. But there is only so many dollars chasing so few developers in perspective.

Kind of relates to servers in Run8 as well. There are a couple servers out there that tries to please everyone (or at least go with what is popular). The ones like myself and others that want certain things are a minority. Some who don't have certain expectations can play with their friends in small groups etc. Many can also play single player and that base grew once running AI in V2 was enough to have some passing trains making them feel as though they weren't alone.

Thanks

Sean

Hello,
    I've had TS•2021 for a year (or more) but just recently really started trying it more. Completely read and studied about Run8 before buying. It's also been on my radar for over a year due to posts in the N3V forums. Do you think I don't know the sims/games are are completely different? People seek different things from these game/sims. Some want somewhat prototypical. Some want to be 100% prototypical. Some what to make routes and sessions. Some what to create content. Some want to simply drive a train on a fun route. Some want to do switching. Some want to operate. And yes, a few enjoy Thomas the Train on a loop of track just laid down. I've seen posts from dads who tell of the joy their sick kid has from running Thomas. How awful it would be if this caused someone to gain an interest in railroading! (that's sarcasm)

My point? No single game/sim is "best." No single "style" is best. They ALL have good points and they ALL have some bad points. Most are enjoyed by SOME people for whatever reason.

Forums are supposed to be communities. Not everyone is seeking the same thing, not everyone has the same goals, not everyone has the same experience or history. And members of the community allow for that. That is what a community is.

Yes, this is a community, and the guys commenting have been a part of it literally for a decade or longer, so you might want to pause for a moment and realize we as a community *do* allow posts critical towards vendors who sometimes put out the same buggy crap under a new name or version and expect people to be happy about it...

Yes, sometimes people who really love or cheerlead for said products might get offended by that, but we allow for them to be slightly offended.

As long as there's no swearing or insults, we encourage some dissent, which is what sets TS apart from the vendor supported forums.

I thought when people's feelings get hurt and they hit the "report post" enough times the thread gets locked

As a senior member I agree with the new guy. But I do agree with mod above that this forum is apart from "some" of the vendor supported forums. I've seen a few Steam forums where they put up with all kinds of critical and down right nasty stuff and it stands.

Bottom line my advice to the junior member. Don't sweat it, there are senior members that think alike as well. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That by definition is community.

Thanks

Sean