Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mullan Expansion Pack-Centralia Coal West activity

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    As for wheel slip "running out of control", Well, fall season is a terrible season of just that, constant wheel slip, sometimes to the point the wheels break free and next thing you know, the speedo is reading 58mph when really, you are struggling at 8mph.
    How about the speedo showing 2,237 mph when you are really going 5 mph and it's a nice dry summer day? Because that's what Open Rails will do. The only reason you can't get slip running away to 1,000,000 mph is that there's a hard limit of 1,000 meters per second. If that limit wasn't there, the wheels would keep speeding up forever. Never mind the fact that in real life the axles and motors would have violently exploded by then.

Open Rails is a long way from reality there, and don't even start about Train Sim World when slip is significantly more broken there than in Open Rails. At least their own "implementations" of wheel slip "control" don't move the throttle handle for you-but I guess the throttle handle moving by itself when something slips is spot on as well, huh?
    But does it have field shunts?

Quote Originally Posted by pschlik View Post
    How about the speedo showing 2,237 mph when you are really going 5 mph and it's a nice dry summer day? Because that's what Open Rails will do. The only reason you can't get slip running away to 1,000,000 mph is that there's a hard limit of 1,000 meters per second. If that limit wasn't there, the wheels would keep speeding up forever. Never mind the fact that in real life the axles and motors would have violently exploded by then.

I'm sorry, I have not once seen that issue.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Negative, that was before my time.

Shawn sent ya a pvt PM may take a moment to reach TS

What a challenging and well thought out activity. I ran it with MG 96.

Originally Posted by pschlik:
    Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    I'm sorry, I have not once seen that issue.
    For a complete discussion regarding this point --- please see this thread at Elvas:
    http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...ing-wheelslip/
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by bennycdn View Post
    What a challenging and well thought out activity. I ran it with MG 96.
    Yes, agree. I ran it --- an expansion of the activity "Mullan Helper Service"? I'm going to try it on wet rail (rain) and see what happens.
    Big difference from the Helper Service is the equipment change to ES44C4s.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 04-25-2021 at 03:58 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

One addition to the comments about the activity, looking over the TS engine files, the one thing that jumps out at me is the misunderstanding of the OR parameter "MaximalPower" in the OR diesel engine definition. It is often confused with the msts term "MaxPower".

"MaximalPower" is maximum power of the prime mover --- ie. Brake HP or Power at the Shaft. I have understanding that it is defined that way in the code. It is not Traction Power ( power available to the traction motors ) or Rail Hp ( power at the rail ). I'm willing to admit to an error in understanding here --- but I'll need some proofs, not opinions.
    Cheers, Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    For a complete discussion regarding this point --- please see this thread at Elvas:
    http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...ing-wheelslip/
    Not denying the issue one bit, just simply saying, I have not experienced this issue once. Only in real life, but, not to THAT extreme.

From what I gather, ORTS physics are some of the most accurate physics out of all the current train simulation games available. That's just me though, but this is starting to go a little off topic honestly.

I have seen people mention about losing a lot of speed. This is normal with heavy mountain railroading. Just remember, inform the dispatcher you are not able to make track speed.