Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mullan Expansion Pack-Centralia Coal West activity

Ran AC traction power, on a detoured loaded autorack train over grades of close to 2% and tight curves, definitely needed sand just as much as I do daily with DC traction power.

then again, spring time, greasy rails with leaf's still blowing around from fall season, that didn't turn into dust.

ES44C4's if I remember correctly, do not get that good of traction, compared to the ES44AC's.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post

ES44C4's if I remember correctly, do not get that good of traction, compared to the ES44AC's.
    The shoddy traction of C4s probably comes from the fact that they're four-axle units in disguise - the center axle of each truck is unpowered. So it probably has a little trouble putting all that horsepower down on the rail

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    The shoddy traction of C4s probably comes from the fact that they're four-axle units in disguise - the center axle of each truck is unpowered. So it probably has a little trouble putting all that horsepower down on the rail
    I am aware. I feel like the B40-8's we used had better traction, from what I hear.

Regardless of the locomotive at play, Open Rails' completely nonexistent simulation of wheel slip protection systems causes loads of trouble on routes like Mullan where every other train is running just at its adhesion limit. In real life you have the nice advantage that there's some computer working in the background to prevent slip from running out of control and you don't have to do anything (unless you want to help it out by adding sand, of course). Meanwhile in Open Rails, slip will just go out of control unless you or the dubious "implementation" of AntiSlip( 1 ) lowers the throttle. That alone just makes driving something like an ES44C4 so much of a chore, even more so than it really should be.

I swear I will continue complaining about wheel slip protection until something is done about it, but at this rate I'll be the one making the code for it sometime this summer.
    But does it have field shunts?

There are issues here with saves not restoring properly that are complicating the wheel slip physics. On some restores, where the trackmonitor properly shows signals, I am able to continue climbing the grade with no sand. On other restores, the track monitor does not show signals, it shows 'max distance' and I need to CTRL-M twice to get the track monitor back to displaying signals. But then not too long after I go into wheel slip issues that require sand to not stall.

Also, upon cutting out the helpers at Elliston, operating on a 'bad restore' that required sand to attain the summit, my 3 lead units seem unable to back the front part of the train up to re-couple to the rear half. All 3 locos on the lead have differing wheel stats, one is locked and sliding, one other is spinning slow, and the third was spinning fast.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    There are issues here with saves not restoring properly that are complicating the wheel slip physics....
    Yes, currently steamer_ctn is aware of the issue and is looking at the code...this I know from reading threads over at ET. There has always been a problem with the code regarding wet rail conditions that has never been sorted out...complications arise ( or so I've read ) from the early code not being properly documented and the problem of introducing unintended effects when modifying the code.

Anyone with the code skills and knowledge to help with the problem should contact someone on the development team.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

As someone who runs older equipment every day in the real world (GP38-2's, GP40-2's, and SD70M-2's) I can tell you, Open Rails is pretty spot on with the wheel slip issues. Especially on mountain grades much like the Mullan Pass. (grades are slightly higher on the Mullan compared to the Bellows Falls Sub, but the curves are just as tight, and it's a 20 mile climb just as well one direction.)

As for wheel slip "running out of control", Well, fall season is a terrible season of just that, constant wheel slip, sometimes to the point the wheels break free and next thing you know, the speedo is reading 58mph when really, you are struggling at 8mph.

It sounds like some just want an unrealistic game versus a simulation. That's what Train Sim World is for.. honestly.

Sure, automatic sanders kick in from time to time when it senses a slip, which I do understand ORTS fails on this part, but sometimes you just have to flick the switch on from the very start and let it go until you make it.
    Hitting Ctrl + X helps, just like holding the button down in the real world..

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    As someone who runs older equipment every day in the real world (GP38-2's, GP40-2's, and SD70M-2's) I can tell you, Open Rails is pretty spot on with the wheel slip issues. Especially on mountain grades much like the Mullan Pass. (grades are slightly higher on the Mullan compared to the Bellows Falls Sub, but the curves are just as tight, and it's a 20 mile climb just as well one direction.)

As for wheel slip "running out of control", Well, fall season is a terrible season of just that, constant wheel slip, sometimes to the point the wheels break free and next thing you know, the speedo is reading 58mph when really, you are struggling at 8mph.

It sounds like some just want an unrealistic game versus a simulation. That's what Train Sim World is for.. honestly.

Sure, automatic sanders kick in from time to time when it senses a slip, which I do understand ORTS fails on this part, but sometimes you just have to flick the switch on from the very start and let it go until you make it.
    Hitting Ctrl + X helps, just like holding the button down in the real world..
    Is Mullan pass the 20miles?.
    Seem in my day BFSub was pretty much a 50 mile climb out of BF. to Rutland.
    Auto sanders, wish we had those at times, little toggling of the fingers, throttle finesse saw us thru, seemed fall was worst, rather than snow season. As, you know even rain can be problematic at times. I still prefer any 4axle over any 6, &, or, have no use for anything desktop... lol..

Thought perhaps Shawn being along your charge these days, may enjoy these snapshots of us after mishaps at Mt. Holly end of 80s / early 90s. I tried using TS PM, but only offered url when it came to including pictures. Anyways once given a reasonable chance to view moderator may wish to remove if indeed an issue.

Wreck 1.jpgWreck 2.jpgWreck 3.jpgWreck 4.jpg

From Helena to Blossburg is 20 miles of a grind.

Rutland to Summit, 15 miles. (MP B49.5 to MP B34), Summit to Proctorsville (MP B34 to MP B23) 11 miles, then just becomes a constant up and down battle the rest of the way.

Glad we haven't had a wreck like that on the line in the current age. Last one like that was the one in Whitehall, NY, on the tight curve.