Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mullan Expansion Pack-Centralia Coal West activity

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Not denying the issue one bit, just simply saying, I have not experienced this issue once. Only in real life, but, not to THAT extreme.

From what I gather, ORTS physics are some of the most accurate physics out of all the current train simulation games available. That's just me though, but this is starting to go a little off topic honestly.

I have seen people mention about losing a lot of speed. This is normal with heavy mountain railroading. Just remember, inform the dispatcher you are not able to make track speed.
    ...you got a PM...far enough off topic without more.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

This is a great 'learning activity' where the player learns how to interact in a very manual way with certain open rails features.

But the gold standard for an activity like this is when the player pulls the train in, makes a cut to insert the helper, and then the helper as an AI which is pathed goes about inserting itself, couples up by itself, runs up the grade entrained as part of a player-controlled train, reaching the summit, the player cutting away from the rear and pulling forward, and the helper again removing itself under AI control and parking itself on the house track (or returning light back down the grade as an AI after the player rejoins the two halves of the train and departs). Player is really only responsible for the head end of the coal train, does nothing to control the helpers, with no jumping of player control between head end and helpers as with this activity. Much less intimidating for the 'gameplay' folks.

But like I said, this act was excellent at teaching the manual way.

Ok I got as far as Elliston and I'm at the right spot to drop off the helpers. I have followed the instructions to uncouple ahead of the helpers and pull up far enough to leave clearance for the helpers to back into the siding.
    Here is the issue I'm having, I pull up with the front of my train and set the brakes. I then Alt F9 to select the helper set which I think shows up as "player 23". As soon as I switch to the helper set the front half of the train which I set the brakes for begins to "run away" I quickly switch back to that and it shows that no brakes were set. I exited the activity and each time the same thing happens.

I'm running the activity on MG 96 and it had run perfect so far. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spoony1999 View Post
    Ok I got as far as Elliston and I'm at the right spot to drop off the helpers. I have followed the instructions to uncouple ahead of the helpers and pull up far enough to leave clearance for the helpers to back into the siding.
    Here is the issue I'm having, I pull up with the front of my train and set the brakes. I then Alt F9 to select the helper set which I think shows up as "player 23". As soon as I switch to the helper set the front half of the train which I set the brakes for begins to "run away" I quickly switch back to that and it shows that no brakes were set. I exited the activity and each time the same thing happens.

I'm running the activity on MG 96 and it had run perfect so far. What am I missing here?

Thanks
    This sounds like what happens when you do not enter Manual Mode on the player consist prior to swapping to the helpers.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    This sounds like what happens when you do not enter Manual Mode on the player consist prior to swapping to the helpers.
    Yeah that could be it lol. I knew i was forgetting something . I’ll give that a shot tomorrow :-)

I was playing a very similar activity, the LAUMIS West activity. When backing the helper consist up to the rear portion of the train, as soon as the coupler on the rear locomotive contacts the coupler of the car the game locks up. No control will respond, and I have to shut down my computer. Just to make sure I ran the activity twice and got the same result. Any one have any ideas??
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whistlestop View Post
    I was playing a very similar activity, the LAUMIS West activity. When backing the helper consist up to the rear portion of the train, as soon as the coupler on the rear locomotive contacts the coupler of the car the game locks up. No control will respond, and I have to shut down my computer. Just to make sure I ran the activity twice and got the same result. Any one have any ideas??
    Thanks
    What version of OR were you using? All activities were fully tested to function properly in the current Stable version, 1.3.1, of OR, and with all OR options set to the recommended settings in the Mullan Pass route manual. If you are using a different version, such as an unstable version or a Monogame version and you experience a crash when coupling like you describe, then it is potentially a bug that should be reported to the OR devs, or potentially a system memory issue. Mullan is a very memory-intensive route, and these special OR functions like combining of consists and/or swapping control of consists have been known to cause crashes if your computer does not have sufficient RAM.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS

I'm using version 1.3.1.4328
    My Computer has 15.9 of usable memory. So maybe it could be a buy in OR??
    The same kind of activity work fine in Centralia West

Quote Originally Posted by whistlestop View Post
    I'm using version 1.3.1.4328
    My Computer has 15.9 of usable memory. So maybe it could be a buy in OR??
    The same kind of activity work fine in Centralia West
    Sounds like you are using the correct version and your RAM should be sufficient. See if you have the "Logging" option checked in the OR options, and then attach the text Log file that is produced when it crashes to a reply here (assuming it actually generates a Log file, you may have to Ctrl+Alt+Del or something if OR is completely locked up).
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS

Just for information purposes...ran both activities mentioned in this thread using Open Rails Monogame Ver95...everything runs fine, no problems. Instructions are quite well written.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.