Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mullan Pass Timetable Mode Version 2

You're missing three consists :

U-HELEVE.con
    U-KLFSVL.con
    TTEXP Drummond House Ballast.con

Regards,
    Rob Roeterdink

I did reinstall the exe file of ORTS_MULLAN_EXPANSION_PACK and still show three missing consists for this as above that Rob Roeterdink posted his message about three missing consists.. Are those separate from the exe file or from other exe file of ORTS_MULLAN_PASS? That is my question why do I and others still have three missing consists.

Thank you,

John

I'm getting exactly the same error.

Multiple attempts and choosing to run different consists, using different OR installs (Stable, Testing, and Daily). Complete reinstall of Mullan (base package only). Making sure I'm using only the corresponding base version of the timetable. Consistently getting the same error every time.

Deleted and reinstalled Mullan again, and this time using only the first v2.0 Mullan timetable - not the v2.1 - ran fine.

You might have trouble if you mix up the packages or don't read/follow the instructions, there was an original ( ortsmullantimetable.zip ); an expansion ( ortsmullantimetablev2expansion.zip ); a Version2 ( ortsmullantimetablev2.zip ); and most recently an update to version two
    ( ortsmullanv21update.zip ).

All the consists are packed in there somewhere. If you are missing something, I would suggest either looking in the in the unzipped timetable's Trains\Consist folders, or eliminating all the timetable installs, and install them over again in the proper order --- according to Nate's instructions.

The only problem I've had with timetables in general and these in particular is the long loading time, which I've traced to AI trains ... the warning I get in the OR log is that there is not enough room ( on the path I suppose ) to place the AI train. Only an AI train number is given .. like 568 or 569 ( for the Mullan timetables )...so I have to learn how to figure out which path goes with those train numbers and move the starting point for those trains. I just have not spent the time learning how to do that.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 07-05-2021 at 03:36 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    You might have trouble if you mix up the packages or don't read/follow the instructions, there was an original ( ortsmullantimetable.zip ); an expansion ( ortsmullantimetablev2expansion.zip ); a Version2 ( ortsmullantimetablev2.zip ); and most recently an update to version two
    That did it for me, thank you and have a good day.

All the consists are packed in there somewhere. If you are missing something, I would suggest either looking in the in the unzipped timetable's Trains\Consist folders, or eliminating all the timetable installs, and install them over again in the proper order --- according to Nate's instructions.

The only problem I've had with timetables in general and these in particular is the long loading time, which I've traced to AI trains ... the warning I get in the OR log is that there is not enough room ( on the path I suppose ) to place the AI train. Only an AI train number is given .. like 568 or 569 ( for the Mullan timetables )...so I have to learn how to figure out which path goes with those train numbers and move the starting point for those trains. I just have not spent the time learning how to do that.

To be absolutely clear:

> I had only the base version of ortsmullantimetablev2 installed for Mullan Pass - without the Mullan Expansion Pack - and that timetable loaded and ran without issue. This version of the timetable DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY PREVIOUS VERSION INSTALLED. It is stand-alone.

> I downloaded ortsmullanv21update and per the instructions I installed the files from the BASE folder included in the zip file since, again, I do not yet have the Mullan Expansion.

> When installing, I copied the files over the existing ortsmullantimetablev2 that was already installed previously because it says this in the file description in the file library:

This is a minor update for the ORTS TS Mullan Pass Timetables. Requires the TrainSimulations MRL Mullan Pass Route, and the Mullan Pass Timetable v2 (ORTSMULLANTIMETABLEV2.ZIP) and optional Expansion.

The readme, however, does not specify that ortsmullantimetablev2 already be installed as it says in the file library description. Also, it gives the option of which version of ortsmullanv21update the user should install depending on whether they have just the Base Mullan route (BASE folder) or the Mullan Expansion (EXPANSION folder). I installed the contents of the BASE folder, and overwrote when asked.

Yet the error still occurs...

Also tried installing ortsmullanv21update by itself, after restroing Mullan's unaltered backups, despite knowing that wouldn't work, and it of course didn't work.

Same result.

So I've just gone back to ortsmullantimetablev2 for now.

Frankly, a more helpful and constructive response, if any, would be better appreciated than "well if you just read the instructions"...

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    Frankly, a more helpful and constructive response, if any, would be better appreciated than "well if you just read the instructions"...
    Thank you.
    I wrote:
    You might have trouble if you mix up the packages or don't read/follow the instructions
    You had two choices - it's either-or & you chose to fixate on the second part and then personalize it, as if I was categorically stating you did not read the instructions. Also, maybe you did neither and I didn't understand what you did.

Oh Well -- can't please everyone. At least someone got some help from my less than "helpful and constructive" response >>> please see post#35. From your less than cordial response I take the hint that I should have kept my big unhelpful snoot out of it. Perhaps, there's something else going on here.

Do you have any suggestions regarding my problem with timetables?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Do you have any suggestions regarding my problem with timetables?

Nothing other than patience. I get the long load times with Mullan, too.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with loading every consist on the timetable, including all pools, statics, and as-of-yet scheduled consists, and individually simulating where on the road they are and what they're doing with respect to what time the user's consist spawns into the scenario.

My understanding is that in OR every individual locomotive and car in AI trains are under same set of physical laws as the user's train, not a simplified (but resource-efficient) AI model that is common in other sims and games. So given the huge amount of AI traffic in the Mullan timetable it just may take some time to organize and pre-simulate all of this before the user's train is spawned in. It would explain why the Seligman timetable - with no pools, statics, and - I think - a lesser variety of stock - loads relatively quickly compared to Mullan. And the Scenic timetable even quicker.

That's just my casual take. I've no idea how it all really comes together. As long as it loads it's good IMO.

Regarding our previous exchange, no one is saying to keep a muzzle on anything. But honestly, replying with basically "install in the right order/just read the instructions" was annoying. Especially since I did exactly that and was careful about the process, though really there isn't much to it in the first place. Maybe from another point of view I overreacted, but I don't regret it. Meant nothing personal by it.
    Last edited by Kuckoo; 07-06-2021 at 01:02 AM.

Sorry, it looks like this update might have caused a few headaches that I'm only seeing the fallout of just after I got home from vacation.

Unfortunately, as I had said, I'm done putting out updates since I don't want a handful of downloads that are hard to keep track of, plus I'm personally not a fan of TrainSims file library upload system (No hard feelings, just isn't for me). It's pretty stressful having to make sure everything is completely waterproof before uploading, since its not possible to edit or remove files. I had a embarrassing hiccup and accidentally uploaded the template description I was using with the v2.1 update, and I noticed this had also caused some confusion (I also did this with the Sandpatch timetable, description accidentally said it was set during 2015, oops).

And Mr. Steele is correct, it is important to pay attention to the order and which versions of the timetable you install (A good example of why I'm not thrilled of having a ton of minor updates. Gets mighty confusing, eh?). You install the base version of the timetable first (ortsmullantimetablev2.zip), and then the expansion add-on (ortsmullantimetablev2expansion.zip) only if you have purchased and installed the Mullan Pass Expansion Pack. The expansion goes second since it overwrites the *.timetable_or files of the base version. Then the update comes last (ortsmullanv21update.zip). The update comes with 2 folders, one for the expansion edition and one for the base edition. Choose only one folder - not both - and install it based on which edition of the timetable you currently have installed. You shouldn't need the original version of the timetable, as the 2nd version is a completely standalone update. I would take the readmes of the timetables with a grain of salt, chances are I was tired or running on a few hours of sleep when giving the final idiot check on them.

From now on, I'll most likely give my mods a public beta on another train sim mod distribution website (I don't want to name drop, especially if there's concerns about competition or any bad blood). This way, I should be able to catch and correct any major flaws before I release them here, which will hopefully prevent some headaches in the future. It'll also allow me a grace period if I decide to upgrade parts of the mod before a full release (With some things I have lined up for a release, it'll definitely help).

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion, that's entirely on me for not proofreading readmes and descriptions before I fully send them out into the world. I'll try to correct this to the best of my ability in the future.

@ ngc427

Might I be so bold as to suggest that rather than update - and lie awake at night worrying about any possible side effects - why not simply remove (from the library here) the version to be superceded and then upload a brand new replacement v2 (or v3 or whatever version it may be)?

Would that help you at all?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0