Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mullan Pass Timetable Mode Version 2

Plus, its okay to simply place as a pre-requisite that users need both the route and the expansion pack to be able to use the timetable. That eliminates half the testing and worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc427 View Post
    Sorry, it looks like this update might have caused a few headaches that I'm only seeing the fallout of just after I got home from vacation.

Unfortunately, as I had said, I'm done putting out updates since I don't want a handful of downloads that are hard to keep track of, plus I'm personally not a fan of TrainSims file library upload system (No hard feelings, just isn't for me). It's pretty stressful having to make sure everything is completely waterproof before uploading, since its not possible to edit or remove files. I had a embarrassing hiccup and accidentally uploaded the template description I was using with the v2.1 update, and I noticed this had also caused some confusion (I also did this with the Sandpatch timetable, description accidentally said it was set during 2015, oops).

And Mr. Steele is correct, it is important to pay attention to the order and which versions of the timetable you install (A good example of why I'm not thrilled of having a ton of minor updates. Gets mighty confusing, eh?). You install the base version of the timetable first (ortsmullantimetablev2.zip), and then the expansion add-on (ortsmullantimetablev2expansion.zip) only if you have purchased and installed the Mullan Pass Expansion Pack. The expansion goes second since it overwrites the *.timetable_or files of the base version. Then the update comes last (ortsmullanv21update.zip). The update comes with 2 folders, one for the expansion edition and one for the base edition. Choose only one folder - not both - and install it based on which edition of the timetable you currently have installed. You shouldn't need the original version of the timetable, as the 2nd version is a completely standalone update. I would take the readmes of the timetables with a grain of salt, chances are I was tired or running on a few hours of sleep when giving the final idiot check on them.

From now on, I'll most likely give my mods a public beta on another train sim mod distribution website (I don't want to name drop, especially if there's concerns about competition or any bad blood). This way, I should be able to catch and correct any major flaws before I release them here, which will hopefully prevent some headaches in the future. It'll also allow me a grace period if I decide to upgrade parts of the mod before a full release (With some things I have lined up for a release, it'll definitely help).

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion, that's entirely on me for not proofreading readmes and descriptions before I fully send them out into the world. I'll try to correct this to the best of my ability in the future.

How I reacted to R. Steele's post was unwarranted, and it caused unnecessary stress. I could have handled my confusion better. Behind the scenes life issues spilled over but I'm not using that as an excuse. I was being an ass. So, to you and especially Mr. Steele, I apologise.

Thanks for the clarification. If I understand correctly, the v2.1 timetable update only works if you have the Mullan base route and the Mullan expansion installed. Once meeting that requirement, the user has the option of using either the base or expanded version of the timetable. If you only have the base route installed then the v2.1 timetable update will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    @ ngc427

Might I be so bold as to suggest that rather than update - and lie awake at night worrying about any possible side effects - why not simply remove (from the library here) the version to be superceded and then upload a brand new replacement v2 (or v3 or whatever version it may be)?

Would that help you at all?
    At first, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of going straight to the head of the chain of command to fix a few minor issues and remove a few unneeded files, but after thinking it over, I think I might. I'm also still finding a few more major issues with the v2.1 update, and instead of adding another new v2.2 update file, I might ask him to remove all the current Mullan timetable downloads I submitted and just starting back at square 1 with a single updated download. I'm thinking of doing an installer too, rather than just copying files, as this should make it way easier when choosing if you want the expansion or regular versions of the timetable. I know I said I wouldn't provide further support for the timetable, but one last push to clear up any confusion with the installation process is worth it in my opinion. Unfortunately I can't promise a time frame of when this will be done, as my summer is already cramped for time, however I do want to get it done soon-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    How I reacted to R. Steele's post was unwarranted, and it caused unnecessary stress. I could have handled my confusion better. Behind the scenes life issues spilled over but I'm not using that as an excuse. I was being an ass. So, to you and especially Mr. Steele, I apologise.

Thanks for the clarification. If I understand correctly, the v2.1 timetable update only works if you have the Mullan base route and the Mullan expansion installed. Once meeting that requirement, the user has the option of using either the base or expanded version of the timetable. If you only have the base route installed then the v2.1 timetable update will not work.
    Don't sweat it, happens to the best of us, I'm just glad the situation got sorted out in the end.
    The update is a little bit of a mess I'm now realizing, and it seems that you hit the nail on the head. I forgot to remove a few lines in the base *.timetable_or file that include consists included with the expansion edition, which will cause OR to do a hissy fit and crash when loading, so the update does unfortunately only apply to the expansion edition essentially. I didn't intend this to happen, but it seems like that is the current solution to the issues with the v2.1 update. I plan on fixing this, but as I said, timing is a little weird this summer, so I can't put a timeframe of when it'll be out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post

Also noticed there is a static empty coal consist parked on a siding outside of Missoula that is blocking a level crossing, and there were cars waiting to cross. Westbound before the orange caboose museum. Not a real issue since it doesn't affect the timetable, but was funny to see.

I saw that as well.

I also saw this passing through Drummond at 50 mph. Don't know if this was accidental or intentional, but I would have hit the floor behind my conductor in anticipation of the cab side getting peeled open.

A few other funnies I noticed included wrong way loads of coal and coke running east instead of west, and the unit crude train running with a collection of randomized crude and LPG tankers. Probably a TSRE consist randomizer thing.

After being away for a week on vacation, I'm finally back to working on things before I'm away for another week.

I fixed the issues of the ballast hoppers obstructing the mainline, the crashing issues people were getting with the non-expansion version, the random line of gondolas blocking a crossing, LPG tanks being included in the oil consists, and some coal and coke consists heading the wrong directions.
    I also decided to just completely jump ship on the expansion version of the timetable, it's just causing too many headaches and its not worth the hassle to keep supporting. It sucks to have to let it go, since the content included with the expansion is awesome and really adds a whole new layer to the route, but it was just too chaotic to juggle both versions all the time.
    I also decided to try a Clickteam installer for this final version of the timetable, originally I was going to use it to make selecting versions of the timetable be a little less confusing, but with the cutting of the expansion edition it's more just ease of installing/uninstalling now.

ETA for the version of the timetable is still up in the air however, as I still need to contact Mr. Anderson about removing the now-outdated timetable downloads in the file library and doing some extremely thorough testing on the installer and timetable. I also plan on giving the timetable a few initial test releases to places that will allow me some time to correct major issues before putting it out on the file library.

Again, I apologize for the poor quality control, that's all on me for not properly testing things and making sure they're good before giving them a full release. Also, thank you for sticking with me throughout the timetable's troubled development history, it really means a lot knowing that I still have people interested in the timetable through all of its issues and debacles. Hopefully this final release should correct all of the major issues and finally put this timetable to rest.
    Last edited by ngc427; 07-21-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc427 View Post
    ...Again, I apologize for the poor quality control, that's all on me for not properly testing things and making sure they're good before giving them a full release. Also, thank you for sticking with me throughout the timetable's troubled development history, it really means a lot knowing that I still have people interested in the timetable through all of its issues and debacles. Hopefully this final release should correct all of the major issues and finally put this timetable to rest.
    Apologize! It's fine work you're doing, your time and effort making timetables for the community, thank you. It's not as if you miscalculated the grinding of the Hubble Mirror, for goodness sake -- it's a hobby. Take your time, have some fun.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Apologize! It's fine work you're doing, your time and effort making timetables for the community, thank you. It's not as if you miscalculated the grinding of the Hubble Mirror, for goodness sake -- it's a hobby. Take your time, have some fun.
    ^^^^This!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Apologize! It's fine work you're doing, your time and effort making timetables for the community, thank you.....
    ^^^^^That!

While I think of it.....could someone please tell me why the MRL logo is a stylised 'W'?

If it was turned upside-down it would be a stylised 'M'. Couldn't they see that when it was designed?!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

The MRL is owned by Dennis Washington's The Washington Companies. It and al it's entities carry the stylised 'W' logo.

Quote Originally Posted by brama View Post
    The MRL is owned by Dennis Washington's The Washington Companies. It and al it's entities carry the stylised 'W' logo.
    Many thanks for the reason. Now it makes sense.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0