Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mullan Pass Timetable Mode Version 2

Iprinted out the BNSF pdf -- do most of the US roads use the same prefix system?
    It varies. Unfortunately most do not have as nice a system as BNSF does.

Norfolk Southern uses a 3 character alphanumeric designation usually 3numbers or 2 numbers and a letter.

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/NS_Train_Symbols

CSX uses a letter followed by 3 numbers. The letter indicates the division and class of train.

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/CSX_Train_Symbols

Myhome railroad Pan Am uses 2 letters for origin + 2 letters for destination for through freights e.g. AYPO = Ayer to Portland (RigbyYard). Locals are origin yard plus a number e.g. AY1, AY2, etc. for locals out of Ayer.

I recall Conrail had a similar 4 letter system as the Pan Am one. CSAO may still use that as far as I know.

Update: Looks like UP uses a similar system as BNSF:

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/UP_Train_Symbols

Jon
    Last edited by jonpd; 05-26-2021 at 08:00 AM.

CN uses a similar version to CSX, but with a little bit extra:

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/CN_Train_Symbols

CP's is just a number for the most part

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/CP_Train_Symbols

I do think that while BNSF's system can get a little long-winded, it is the smartest way of naming trains

Quote Originally Posted by jonpd View Post
    It varies. Unfortunately most do not have as nice a system as BNSF does......
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    CN uses a similar version to CSX, but with a little bit extra...
    Thanks to both for your replies, and especially the links...good references. The more I refer to them the more I'll remember., start with BNSF...it is long winded, but complete.

Interesting on the UP ( says "outdated but historical" ) the amount of coal they used to run...times are changing.

Okay, thanks again, enough of this...too far off topic.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 05-26-2021 at 10:54 AM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

You guys asked and I delivered, I just finished up with the train briefings on the Mullan timetable mode. I based the briefings off of the real paperwork that train crews get that tells them the information on their train. The briefing includes train symbol, train type, direction, horsepower per ton, feet, tons, loads, empties, and key train status for each train. If you can think of any other useful information that would be on a real consist report, feel free to suggest it and I'll see if I can get it added on before I finish up the patch.

While combing through all of this information for each train, I had discovered that a few trains had HpT ratings as low as 1.3 and some as high as 8.8 (2.5-3.0 seems to be the most comfortable rating). I plan on going through and correcting a few of the consists to balance out those numbers, turning this quick addition into a small bug fix as well. I also plan on making this a standard feature on all of the timetables I have planned, it's nice to have all of that information at a glance as real engineers would.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc427 View Post
    You guys asked and I delivered, I just finished up with the train briefings on the Mullan timetable mode. ... I also plan on making this a standard feature on all of the timetables I have planned, it's nice to have all of that information at a glance as real engineers would.
    HatTip.jpg coolbeans.jpg much appreciated.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

You guys asked and I delivered, I just finished up with the train briefings on the Mullan timetable mode. I based the briefings off of the real paperwork that train crews get that tells them the information on their train. The briefing includes train symbol, train type, direction, horsepower per ton, feet, tons, loads, empties, and key train status for each train. If you can think of any other useful information that would be on a real consist report, feel free to suggest it and I'll see if I can get it added on before I finish up the patch.

While combing through all of this information for each train, I had discovered that a few trains had HpT ratings as low as 1.3 and some as high as 8.8 (2.5-3.0 seems to be the most comfortable rating). I plan on going through and correcting a few of the consists to balance out those numbers, turning this quick addition into a small bug fix as well. I also plan on making this a standard feature on all of the timetables I have planned, it's nice to have all of that information at a glance as real engineers would.
    This sounds very good.
    I don't know if ToB speed restrictions would be part of real consist report, or if what you already mentioned would contain that information. Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for making these. Almost feel guilty for using them.

Sorry for the radio silence for the past month or so, with summer beginning my schedule has been out of whack, but I finally found the drive to finish up the Timetable v2.1 update.

It includes the train briefings, and updated consists to fix train weight balance (Some trains were flat out un-runnable due to poor weight balance before, one of the MRL manifest trains was 0.X HpT and wouldn't even start on a flat grade!). It's a minor patch, but should greatly improve the running experience of the timetable.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that most likely this will be the last update for the timetable, as I don't want to release a ton of individual updates just for 1 timetable as it can become confusing when downloading it, and there are a few other projects that I'd like to set my sights on full time.

The update should be up on the file library within the next day or so, as I just submitted it as I'm writing this post. Have fun!

...one of the MRL manifest trains was 0.X HpT and wouldn't even start on a flat grade!
    Yeah, a zero HPT would work if you're going downhill both ways, lol.

Also noticed there is a static empty coal consist parked on a siding outside of Missoula that is blocking a level crossing, and there were cars waiting to cross. Westbound before the orange caboose museum. Not a real issue since it doesn't affect the timetable, but was funny to see.

Really enjoying your timetables. As stated before that is now my primary mode of play in OR now, at least for the routes that have them. Learning about how to edit and create TTs to do something about the rest, though I'm not planning on anything for Mullan and Seligman since I'm not interested in submitting a competing product should I decide to upload anything. Though I have been playing around with the Scenic timetable, including adding the Seligman Amtrak Southwest Chief as a substitute for the Empire Builder that runs through the line, and also a couple of the Boeing trains coming from Wichita.

Anyway...

Thanks again for your TTs.

Hi,
    I just downloaded the update and when I try and run an activity, and I have tried a few I get this message, can some one help me understand what to do to fix it.
    "Nullable object must have a value"
    Thanks Tim
    Error: System.InvalidOperationException: Nullable object must have a value.
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException( ExceptionResource resource)
    at System.Nullable`1.get_Value()
    at Orts.Simulation.AIs.StartTrains.InsertTrain(AITrai n thisTrain) in F:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\Git_ORTS_source_mio\Sourc e\Orts.Simulation\Simulation\AIs\AI.cs:line 1397
    at Orts.Simulation.AIs.AI..ctor(Simulator simulator, List`1 allTrains, Double& ClockTime, Int32 playerTrainOriginalTrain, FormCommand playerTrainFormedOfType, TTTrain playerTrain, CancellationToken cancellation) in F:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\Git_ORTS_source_mio\Sourc e\Orts.Simulation\Simulation\AIs\AI.cs:line 137
    at Orts.Simulation.Simulator.StartTimetable(String[] arguments, CancellationToken cancellation) in F:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\Git_ORTS_source_mio\Sourc e\Orts.Simulation\Simulation\Simulator.cs:line 474
    at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.GameStateRunActivity.Start (UserSettings settings, String acttype, String[] args) in F:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\Git_ORTS_source_mio\Sourc e\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\GameStateRunActiv ity.cs:line 294
    at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.GameStateRunActivity.<>c__ DisplayClass35_0.<Load>b__3() in F:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\Git_ORTS_source_mio\Sourc e\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\GameStateRunActiv ity.cs:line 160
    at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.GameStateRunActivity.Load( ) in F:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\Git_ORTS_source_mio\Sourc e\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\GameStateRunActiv ity.cs:line 201
    at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.LoaderProcess.Load() in F:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\Git_ORTS_source_mio\Sourc e\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\LoaderProcess.cs: line 159
    at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.LoaderProcess.DoLoad() in F:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\Git_ORTS_source_mio\Sourc e\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\LoaderProcess.cs: line 138
    at Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.LoaderProcess.LoaderThread () in F:\ADRIANA\Carlo\OR_Work\Git_ORTS_source_mio\Sourc e\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Processes\LoaderProcess.cs: line 109
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(Exec utionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I want to say thank you very much, but i can't. I did try 4 of them, none of them worked.
    Here is my logfile:
    https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvLRFpDe9UrJiw-bqWTlqs1wrO_B