Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mullan Pass Timetable Mode Version 2

Smile Mullan Pass Timetable Mode Version 2

Greetings,

I have been working on a Version 2 of my Mullan Pass Timetable mode for Open Rails and thought I'd pop in to give a little bit of background of what's changed in the new version.
    As for bug fixes, reported pathing issues have been fixed (Avon siding being removed from the pool of passing sidings, as well as removing passing sidings that have derails and/or no signaling and wouldn't be used for meets on the real route), and there has been some timing changes that space out trains more evenly.
    The real core of the update is a completely reworked timetable from scratch that makes the traffic much more prototypical to the actual operations over the route (Big thank you to Sean Kelly from TrainSimulations for the document that outlines the operations and daily trains that go over the route - go check it out in the file library if your interested in getting an in-depth view on the operations on the route )
    Also included are consists made specifically for the timetable mode, so you no longer need to have the original consists intact to run the timetable, but it is still required that all of the rolling stock included with the route is present.
    This update is also a full version that supersedes the original due to how many changes have been made to improve the quality and integrity of the timetable, so Version 1 will no longer be needed and counted as obsolete after this update.

Also being made in tandem is a version of the timetable that adds in the locomotives and rolling stock from the recently released expansion pack for the route into consists that are used in the timetable. It adds in ES44C4 locomotives into consists where applicable, and adds in 3 new unit train consists made up from the stock included with the expansion (Unit ballast, military, and talc trains). These trains are run very, very infrequently and as-needed, so each train has only 1 symbol per 24 hours on the timetable, but they're too cool to exclude from the timetable.

I plan on releasing it sometime within the next few weeks, but I can't make any promises as I have a few more ideas that I'd like to play around with that might further make this update really shine. I'd also like to give the timetable a full stress test to really make sure that it is absolutely watertight. I'll keep this thread updated if anything comes out of the ideas I have planned, or if anything might possibly delay the long overdue update.

Awesome! Can not wait to see how this turns out.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

After being out sick for a few weeks, I finally was able to get around to submitting the Mullan Pass Timetable Version 2 and its expansion pack to the File Library.

Most everything I covered in the first thread post has been fully implemented with no problems. The largest change I've made since then is static consists along the route. I used Google Earth, reference photos, and other activities that come with the route to place down static consists in yards, industries, and sidings as best as I possibly could. I also ran a few timetable trains from start to finish, and it should take around 4 hours to fully traverse the route with a heavy train, possibly 3 hours if your on a quicker and lighter train. The loaded coal trains are particularly very fun to run as your on the edge of your seat the whole time, just narrowly being able to make the 2.2% grades at ~10MPH the whole time, it should truly test your train handling skills if your up to the challenge.

I also wanted to give more background on the 3 expansion pack trains that were added to the timetable, U-HELEVE, U-HELLVW, and U-KLFSVL. I wasn't able to find solid train symbols for all 3 unit trains, as they're as-needed trains and get assigned symbols when they need them, but I did try to think up a scenario into their routing and train symbols. All 3 consists are based off of photos and videos of similar trains that were run across the BNSF/MRL system at one point in time.

Enjoy running the timetable, and have a safe trip.

This will be fun! Thank you for sharing your contribution! Looking forward to it.
    Christopher

Thanks for this very good.
    sparkplug

Quote Originally Posted by ngc427 View Post
    Enjoy running the timetable.
    Very much enjoying running the timetable!

Indeed, it took some frustrating head-scratching for me to finally figure out I needed to install and run the development version of OR to use it, and I didn't know what "monogame" meant in the readme lol.

But yeah, this is very well put together. The effort you put into making it is apparent.

Grinding up the hill with just a pair of MRL SD70s and a road switcher was, interesting...

Appreciate that the AI continues to start their runs behind you, long after you've already departed. Makes it all feel more real, even despite the unlikelihood of ever seeing them.

Your timetables will pretty much be my main mode of play now, though I plan on getting TS's Mullan expansion.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    Very much enjoying running the timetable!

Indeed, it took some frustrating head-scratching for me to finally figure out I needed to install and run the development version of OR to use it, and I didn't know what "monogame" meant in the readme lol.

But yeah, this is very well put together. The effort you put into making it is apparent.

Grinding up the hill with just a pair of MRL SD70s and a road switcher was, interesting...

Appreciate that the AI continues to start their runs behind you, long after you've already departed. Makes it all feel more real, even despite the unlikelihood of ever seeing them.

Your timetables will pretty much be my main mode of play now, though I plan on getting TS's Mullan expansion.

Thank you!
    And thank you for trying it out, it does really mean a lot to me knowing that people enjoy the mods that I make.

I had the version of Open Rails that I use to test out the timetables at the very bottom of the readme just incase if there has been changes made in the "Testing" update stream that hasn't been moved over to the "Stable" stream yet. I do recommend the "Testing" stream of updates though, as you get an update every week on Fridays that usually adds in small fixes or brand new features (I've yet to encounter any "noticeable defects", so the warning they give should be taken with a grain of salt).
    Monogame is the branch of Open Rails that has some bare-metal type stuffs changed to make it preform a little bit better on lower-end computers at the cost of very prevalent bugs. Unfortunately, one of those bugs breaks the timetable mode in most circumstances, so I put the disclaimer at the very bottom incase a user of the Monogame version of Open Rails were to encounter the issues I've encountered.

Not super related to the thread, but I don't want to clog up the forums with another independent post for a small announcement. Within the next few months I plan on doing a Version 2 of the Seligman Subdivision timetable mode with similar features that I had put into the Mullan Pass timetable update (Static railcars, general bug fixes, improved realism, etc). I also was suggested the idea of doing the Scenic Subdivision timetable but with rolling stock from the Seligman Subdivision, which I may start exploring in the near future.

Not super related to the thread, but I don't want to clog up the forums with another independent post for a small announcement. Within the next few months I plan on doing a Version 2 of the Seligman Subdivision timetable mode with similar features that I had put into the Mullan Pass timetable update (Static railcars, general bug fixes, improved realism, etc). I also was suggested the idea of doing the Scenic Subdivision timetable but with rolling stock from the Seligman Subdivision, which I may start exploring in the near future.
    Looking forward to these.

Just a note, it's not unusual to see MRL locomotives at Everett. At least not a few years ago it wouldn't, I don't know anything about today. And westbound Boeing cars would fit right in.

......I do recommend the "Testing" stream of updates though, as you get an update every week on Fridays that usually adds in small fixes or brand new features (I've yet to encounter any "noticeable defects", so the warning they give should be taken with a grain of salt). .....
    Are you saying that the Timetable does not work in the stable version of OR?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Are you saying that the Timetable does not work in the stable version of OR?
    I have yet to try it, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t work. Just giving the hard sell on the testing stream of updates.