Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mullan Pass Timetable Mode Version 2

Quote Originally Posted by ngc427 View Post
    I have yet to try it, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t work. Just giving the hard sell on the testing stream of updates.
    Weird, the timetables wouldn't work for me in the stable version until I installed the new update I noticed linked in the main interface today. Now it works fine there. Previously, all I got was the Amtrak people carrier - regardless of which train I actually picked in the menu - and an empty AI-less world. In the testing version however everything worked fine.

Well, I can tell you that I have it working in OR Monogame.
    C-SCMRBC is the activity and there are several active AI consists in the long list (using F5 to view the info) .

This is a painfully slow grind from Helena; blimey, I'm crawling along at 12mph and expecting to come to a stop at any moment but no, it keeps plugging up the grade! Agonising!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Since the current stable version is 2.5 years old, much has changed in the interim. It is not unheard of that certain improved features will require more than the last stable release.

@ngc427....
    What a great job you've done with this.
    I am currently running H-NTWPAS - in OR Monogame - and have just had a double-meet at Drummond - two consists heading to Missoula (one of them the coal drag, C-SCRMRBC, which I'm struggling uphill with in another save!).

If you have the opportunity to create more of these Timetables for Mullan and/or other routes, you have added a customer.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Since the current stable version is 2.5 years old, much has changed in the interim. It is not unheard of that certain improved features will require more than the last stable release.
    Given that it has been so long since a stable release, is there any consensus as to which is the most stable of the weekly releases? Seems like it would be something of a moving target to just accept each release as it comes along.

Jon

I only have one problem with these timetables --- and I acknowledge that's it's due to my ignorance of Mullan operations --- when I choose a train, I don't know what I'm getting into, a long slow coal slogging it out over the pass, or some fast freight. I know I could probably figure it all out by looking at the actual timetables, but laziness does figure into it.

Part of this naturally comes from the fact that timetables were primarily intended for passenger operations, not freight, especially North American freight ops. ( when first introduced by Rob back in the year 1 )

I wish there was some kind of short description of the train, weight, number of cars, type of service...something like that. ( is there? ...and I just missed it? )

By the way, working okay using all versions of monogame I've tried...loading takes considerably longer than activities...is that to be expected for timetables?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hello,

I remember seeing something about this over on Elvastower, but I'm not sure if it has been utilized for freeware timetables yet.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind..._1#entry252073

This handy popup "briefing" can be used to display as much information as the creator wants to include, like train weight, service, etc...

From a very non-technical standpoint, I would imagine that the Timetable format in itself encourages the creation of more trains, with greater emphasis on schedule accuracy, than a single activity can. This leads to more work for the sim and slower loading times.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter M; 05-25-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
    Hello,

I remember seeing something about this over on Elvastower, but I'm not sure if it has been utilized for freeware timetables yet.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind..._1#entry252073

This handy popup "briefing" can be used to display as much information as the creator wants to include, like train weight, service, etc...

From a very non-technical standpoint, I would imagine that the Timetable format in itself encourages the creation of more trains, with greater emphasis on schedule accuracy. This leads to more work for the sim and slower loading times.

Peter
    Interesting, Open Rails features surprise me every day. I may give that a shot, however this means another update for both the expansion and main timetables unfortunately. I'll keep you posted on if I find success with playing around with this feature.

You would also be correct with the loading times, a lot of trains to load in and the game needs to calculate where all of them would be at any given moment.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    I only have one problem with these timetables --- and I acknowledge that's it's due to my ignorance of Mullan operations --- when I choose a train, I don't know what I'm getting into, a long slow coal slogging it out over the pass, or some fast freight. I know I could probably figure it all out by looking at the actual timetables, but laziness does figure into it.
    You can figure out the type train your going to be running by looking at train symbols. BNSF named them pretty smart, C- for loaded coal, E- for empty coal, G- for grain, X- for empty grain, etc. The rest of the symbol is where the train originates and terminates which will tell you which way a train is headed, however you can see which direction the train is headed based off of the path names (EB = eastbound, WB = westbound). My go-to guide is the table on QStation.
    http://www.qstation.org/bnsf/BNSF_Train_Symbols.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    This is a painfully slow grind from Helena; blimey, I'm crawling along at 12mph and expecting to come to a stop at any moment but no, it keeps plugging up the grade! Agonising!
    The loaded coal trains up the grade are definitely my favorite to run! On the edge of your seat the whole time, making sure you won't stall out, it's definitely a real test your train handling skills. A true slice of railroading too, you expect trains to run around the speed limit for as long as they can, but on the real railroad it's, "if it ain't stalling, keep hauling".

I'm glad to hear reports of the timetable working on Monogame Open Rails as well. It's been pretty hit or miss and thankfully it sounds like it's just a problem on my end.

Interesting, Open Rails features surprise me every day. I may give that a shot, however this means another update for both the expansion and main timetables unfortunately. I'll keep you posted on if I find success with playing around with this feature.

You would also be correct with the loading times, a lot of trains to load in and the game needs to calculate where all of them would be at any given moment.

You can figure out the type train your going to be running by looking at train symbols. BNSF named them pretty smart, C- for loaded coal, E- for empty coal, G- for grain, X- for empty grain, etc. The rest of the symbol is where the train originates and terminates which will tell you which way a train is headed, however you can see which direction the train is headed based off of the path names (EB = eastbound, WB = westbound). My go-to guide is the table on QStation.
    http://www.qstation.org/bnsf/BNSF_Train_Symbols.pdf

The loaded coal trains up the grade are definitely my favorite to run! On the edge of your seat the whole time, making sure you won't stall out, it's definitely a real test your train handling skills. A true slice of railroading too, you expect trains to run around the speed limit for as long as they can, but on the real railroad it's, "if it ain't stalling, keep hauling".

I'm glad to hear reports of the timetable working on Monogame Open Rails as well. It's been pretty hit or miss and thankfully it sounds like it's just a problem on my end.
    Thanks for the answer. Very helpful. Especially that part about the prefix to the train designation. I printed out the BNSF pdf -- do most of the US roads use the same prefix system?

( "Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge" --- it's not at the end of my posts for decoration! )

Yep, heavy coal hauls are a good way to test your skills and concentration but sometimes I like a fast Z. Thanks for all the work, I know how much effort you've put into these timetables...MUCH APPRECIATED!
    Last edited by R. Steele; 05-25-2021 at 07:48 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

.......I'm glad to hear reports of the timetable working on Monogame Open Rails as well. It's been pretty hit or miss and thankfully it sounds like it's just a problem on my end.
    Just a question regarding the timetable displayed under Shift+F5:
    There is a long list of AI, but only the top four or five are actually active.
    Is this correct and, if so, why are all the others listed?