Thread: how do you initialize brakes so that they release?

Default how do you initialize brakes so that they release?

While I ssw this thread

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ergency-brakes

In OR, if you've had an emergency application, first hit the Backspace key. Then hold down the semicolon key to make sure that your brake handle is set to Release. Then the brakes will pump up, or you can initialize.
    How does one initialize brakes so that they release?

Please and thank you

Well I have it set up under a button on my RailDriver but on the keyboard I believe its shift + /
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Yes shift / will initialize brakes. Unprototypical but sometimes you need it with really slow releasing brake systems.

Jon

Depending upon what caused the emergency application -- you may have to use Ctrl+M to engage manual mode, then begin the procedures to release the emergency and train brakes.

From the manual
    8.6.8 Emergency Brake Application Key
    The Backspace key is used, as in MSTS, to apply the train brakes in an emergency situation without requiring
    operation of the train brake lever. However in OR moving the brake lever back to the Release
    position will only cause OR to report Apply Emergency Brake Push Button. The Backspace key must be
    pressed again to cancel the emergency application, then normal operation can be resumed. When the
    button is active, the F5 HUD will display Emergency Brake Push Button in the Train Brake line.
    7.6.2 Initialize Brakes
    Entering this command fully releases the train brakes. Usually the train must be fully stopped for this to
    be allowed. This action is usually not prototypical. Check the keyboard assignment for the keys to be
    pressed. The command can be useful in three cases:
    • A good number of locomotives do not have correct values for some brake parameters in the .eng
    file; MSTS ignores these; however OR uses all these parameters, and it may not allow the brakes to
    release fully. Of course, it would be more advisable to correct these parameters.
    • It may happen that the player does not want to wait for the time needed to recharge the brakes;
    however the use of the command in this case is not prototypical of course.
    • The player may wish to immediately connect brake lines and recharge brakes after a coupling operation;
    again, the use of the command is not prototypical.
    Note that this command does not work if the Emergency Brake button has been pressed – the button must
    be pressed again to cancel the emergency brake condition.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thank you all, that helped.